Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 17, 2024, 10:31:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee: Basic Lee

Started by lauraxsynthesis, September 26, 2022, 10:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

In his newsletter this morning:

QuoteBASIC LEE has been filmed and looks brilliant and will be on Sky Arts/Now TV soon. We were very lucky with a sharp and funny audience that really drove the recordings.

Mobbd

trevorpogo

I'm going to see indiepop supergroup Swansea Sound in London next month, they just announced their support act is Stewart Lee doing work-in-progress stuff. This isn't particularly surprising since he did guest vocals at the Heavenly reunion gig last year.

Mobbd

Quote from: trevorpogo on July 06, 2024, 02:41:04 AMI'm going to see indiepop supergroup Swansea Sound in London next month, they just announced their support act is Stewart Lee doing work-in-progress stuff. This isn't particularly surprising since he did guest vocals at the Heavenly reunion gig last year.

That they have a relationship might not be surprising but the choice to put a comic on as support is commendably unusual.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Mobbd on July 06, 2024, 12:02:46 PMThat they have a relationship might not be surprising but the choice to put a comic on as support is commendably unusual.
I'd say it was his (quite good) idea as some alternative comics used to do slots like that back in the 80s, most notably for Lee would be Ted Chippington.

The commendable bit is letting someone who's a much bigger name than you do a support slot at your gig.

Mobbd

Definitely. Check out his recent appearance on Word in Your Ear podcast if you have not already.

dontpaintyourteeth

lazyhour

It's interesting that stand-ups never really support indie bands in the UK, as from what I understand it's quite common in the USA and has been for donkeys years. David Cross supporting Yo La Tengo, Fred Armisen opening for Tortoise, that kind of thing.

Goldentony

I saw David Cross try to introduce bands at ATP on I think a Saturday mid afternoon when everyone was on the drugs they'd smuggled in and drinking expensive Fosters, it went really badly for him, I think there's a clip in the film of him going WHAT IS THE FUCKING POINT OF THIS

Twilkes

Alternatively, comedy tents at music festivals seem to be really well received and the acts tend to pull in decent fees for them.

Rev+

Quote from: Mobbd on July 04, 2024, 10:49:26 AMThis just in.
Broadcast/streaming date: July 29th, 9pm.

Or, if we're being and real and in the real world and all that:

Broadcast/streaming date: July 20th, 9pm.

Twilkes

Why does he wear those big Showaddywaddy jackets?

Mr. Ssmsslth

Quote from: Twilkes on July 08, 2024, 09:04:27 PMWhy does he wear those big Showaddywaddy jackets?

Because he's let himself go.

Sonny_Jim

Also kinda looks funny, which is good because he *is* a comedian.  Like his torso is too long and his legs too short.

Mobbd

I was hoping he'd do more podcast appearances to promote this, like he did with the Nightingales film.

He did at least do the Word podcast and was very good if anyone fancies it: https://shows.acast.com/word-in-your-ear-2/episodes/word-podcast-644-stewart-lee

Please post any other podcast/youtube appearances you see him do here. They're always good.

Proactive

Yes, I could listen to Stew's podcast appearances pretty much infinitely.

Oosp

Quote from: lazyhour on July 06, 2024, 05:57:34 PMIt's interesting that stand-ups never really support indie bands in the UK, as from what I understand it's quite common in the USA and has been for donkeys years. David Cross supporting Yo La Tengo, Fred Armisen opening for Tortoise, that kind of thing.

Neil Hamburger opened for Tool

Ferris

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on July 14, 2024, 01:41:58 AMAlso kinda looks funny, which is good because he *is* a comedian.  Like his torso is too long and his legs too short.

He used to buy jeans from New Zealand to achieve this effect, according to his book. No, really.

Happily, time and letting himself go has provided the look without any need for international air travel. Good news for carbon emissions I suppose.

Magnum Valentino

I've been working through all Stew's releases in order for a few weeks and it's weird hearing the Scotland/Braveheart-paedophile routine again as late as series 2 of Comedy Vehicle. In fact it's weird (but understandable) seeing any re-used material as he makes such a point in all the interviews for the DVDs about preserving the shows so he can stop doing them as part of his career plan to write and tour a new show to an established audience every few years.

Also in every Stewart/Armando interview in Comedy Vehicle, without exception, Armando is funnier than Stew.

Cold Meat Platter

Way funnier than Morris as well.

veletision

Give me the life of Saint Augustine

iamcoop

Quote from: Mobbd on July 14, 2024, 10:54:24 AMPlease post any other podcast/youtube appearances you see him do here. They're always good.

His appearance on the comedians comedian podcast a few years ago was a good listen. It's over two hours long, he talks about his 'craft', the awkwardness of knowing loads of other comedians hate him because he does material about them, the 'character' of Stewart Lee etc. it's a good listen.

It's also a niche interest but he was good on the Oh Brother podcast as well, which is just an hour of him talking about The Fall with two ex members (which is my idea of heaven, admittedly).

He was also good on that Kathy Burke podcast about planning your own funeral.

Tags: