Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:54:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Political podcasts [split topic]

Started by idunnosomename, March 01, 2024, 12:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

fucking hell (video of him announcing his podcast with Sayeeda Warsi)

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1763113024267735190

although thanks to the new regime on "X" all of the top posts are nu-blue ticks calling them antisemites who hate Israel. lol?

PlanktonSideburns

Should be a different word for when already famous people do a podcast. Not necessarily  a nice word

phantom_power

Baddiel did a Bowie one previously and it was fuck-awful. I lap up any old Bowie shit and I couldn't stomach more than a couple of episodes. They even debate how to pronounce his name and get loads of things wrong. I imagine this new one will be even worse

Great title though

TheAssassin

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 01, 2024, 10:57:19 AMShould be a different word for when already famous people do a podcast. Not necessarily  a nice word

Your view of famous is broad.  If they are doing a podcast, their name isn't a draw.

phantom_power

I don't think that is true. It is just an easy way to make a quick buck. Ramble on about shit for an hour. Cha-ching

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: TheAssassin on March 01, 2024, 11:49:03 AMYour view of famous is broad.  If they are doing a podcast, their name isn't a draw.

They've been on some news channel, talking about their imminent podcastery, surely being famous has already done a lovely bit of business for them. Not like they're just sticking it on soundcloud and seeing who notices it is it

Quote from: TheAssassin on March 01, 2024, 11:49:03 AMYour view of famous is broad.  If they are doing a podcast, their name isn't a draw.

Trad media outlets are hiring all sorts of big names in order to choke out the hobbyists and startups. Podcasting is cheap and gave the proles a chance to make a name for themselves. NEVER AGAIN.

Saw the other day that Joanna Lumley and her husband were doing one. All produced by Bauer in their radio studios, sponsored by Rathbones. It's money looking after money.

Pink Gregory

what I find strange is how many podcasts the BBC has but I've never encountered anyone who listens to a single one of the cunts.

Did try Uncanny once and it were shite, and was there not another one that was basically the Parapod but 5 years afterwards?

Thosworth

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 01, 2024, 12:41:57 PMwhat I find strange is how many podcasts the BBC has but I've never encountered anyone who listens to a single one of the cunts.

BBC don't put out many podcasts these days, compared to the insane amount of content on the Sounds app (with bonus dogshit search function)

bgmnts

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 01, 2024, 12:41:57 PMwhat I find strange is how many podcasts the BBC has but I've never encountered anyone who listens to a single one of the cunts.

Unsure if it counts but I do listen to In Our Time through BBC Sounds.

Quote from: bgmnts on March 01, 2024, 01:51:05 PMUnsure if it counts but I do listen to In Our Time through BBC Sounds.

In Our Time still comes out as a podcast, it counts. The BBC also did a brilliant drama podcast called The Lovecraft Investigations. Most recently updated with The Haunter of Dark in October last year.

Pink Gregory

I don't know, I think the format of a podcast, or what is culturally understood to be a podcast, is distinct from something that originated from a radio show.

That being said I tend to swerve podcasts that have slick production values so maybe that's a me thing

FeederFan500

I still listen to Thinking Allowed from time to time.

Through podcast addict I have searched for all Radio 4 podcasts before (nice, infinite scroll list) and listened to a few like Jon Ronson ones, Crypto Queen, Where is George Gibney, The Orgasm Cult. The problem with these types of shows for me is that they are commissioned before the end point is known and they just fizzle out rather than building up to something.

Expecting to hate it I have to shamefully admit to enjoying Peter Crouch's podcast too. Haven't listened to it since it went to some commercial publisher, although it seems to have gone the way of lots of successful podcasts where it starts off as the same regulars talking about a given theme, and ends with them interviewing the same people who go round various podcasts telling a selection of the same anecdotes.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Registering to lurk on March 01, 2024, 02:13:33 PMIn Our Time still comes out as a podcast, it counts. The BBC also did a brilliant drama podcast called The Lovecraft Investigations. Most recently updated with The Haunter of Dark in October last year.

Love that, but cannot really listen to it as I always fall asleep and wake up in pitch black with some godawful terror sounds rousing me from slumber.

idunnosomename

the funny thing is the BBC had a big part in coining and popularising the stupid term "podcast" - stupid because it implied you needed an Apple iPod to listen to it, when all it really was just an mp3 on an RSS feed.

now in this new era of celebrity-driven podcasts the BBC just use it for any show that doesn't sound like it's been recorded in a studio with an audience, and is primarily online. it's usually just aesthetic, obviously two kooky women being flippant about true crime is going to be labelled a podcast for instance, but some old shite no one listens to like GQT or Quote Unoquote isn't.

it is awful how the celeb podcast has pushed out the proles. the george osbourne/ed balls thing is the most repulsive thing I have ever seen

lazyhour

A BBC radio programme that was broadcast on the radio and then made available on BBC sounds is *not* a podcast, no matter how they are labelled. They are not eligible for podcast awards as far as I now.

A podcast, even a BBC-made one, needs to be internet-only. This is the rule.

As an aside, I'd advise everyone to be a bit wary of DrumsAndWires in this thread, as they were unfortunately very weird in a recent thread about Wiley's anti-Semitism. Nothing personal, DAW, but I think people have a right to know before engaging with you on this particular subject.

FeederFan500

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 01, 2024, 08:33:07 PMthe funny thing is the BBC had a big part in coining and popularising the stupid term "podcast" - stupid because it implied you needed an Apple iPod to listen to it, when all it really was just an mp3 on an RSS feed.

now in this new era of celebrity-driven podcasts the BBC just use it for any show that doesn't sound like it's been recorded in a studio with an audience, and is primarily online. it's usually just aesthetic, obviously two kooky women being flippant about true crime is going to be labelled a podcast for instance, but some old shite no one listens to like GQT or Quote Unoquote isn't.

it is awful how the celeb podcast has pushed out the proles. the george osbourne/ed balls thing is the most repulsive thing I have ever seen

I remember when the BBC were calling it a "free download" and Chris Moyles or Scott Mills were sarcastically saying it wasn't a 'podcast'.

I hadn't realised Gary Lineker's podverse dominated as much as it did until I looked at the iTunes chart recently, and nearly everything was his The Rest Is... stable or Football Cliches.

Oddly enough the fact they are so easy to set up means you can see a bit quicker the trends because anyone can fart out a podcast, the endless one Tory and one Labour political ones, the celebrity ones where they clearly haven't actually worked out what they want to do with it, the episode by episode recaps of popular shows.

I'm normally a defender of the BBC and there is a lot of audio they do that is so much better than the commerical equivalents but even worse than Spencer Matthews and Jamie Laing getting commisioned to do one was the Richard Osman guess the celebs' ages quiz. I can remember it being trailed and wondering who the fuck would want to listen to that and its one series run would suggest nobody. That must have been an Osman pet project which was granted after the baffling success of House of Games.

Sebastian Cobb

QuoteSweet divine jesus, Baddiel has just said on Channel 4 news that  he "kinda thinks" he invented the phrase 'hierarchy of racism'.
I must have hallucinated all the post-colonial theory I studied over 25 years ago

https://twitter.com/ClarNiUigin/status/1766536954592501836

Ffs. Would love to know what other common stuff he thinks he single-handedly came up with?

Urinal Cake

Wait 'Sweet divine Jesus' sounds like anti-Semitism.

frajer

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 10, 2024, 01:44:18 AMFfs. Would love to know what other common stuff he thinks he single-handedly came up with?

Before Baddiel arrived on the scene, no one was putting their glasses in microwaves.

After he arrived, one person did.

Video Game Fan 2000

the words "anti" and "semitism" appearing together in the same sentence? that sounds like anti-semitism

particularly if we consider that putting "anti-" in front of a word denoting something we think is bad is itself a well worn trope which dates back centuries

idunnosomename

He's trying to put the toothpaste is so gloriously stamped out into Jeremy Corbyn's face back in the tube here

Problem is his side is now people who are openly "hey ask me to chose between a Israeli baby taken hostage and dozens of Palestinian babies then DUH ITS THE ISRAELI ONE BECAUSE THE OTHERS ARE KKKHAMAS" and David is sad because his solidarity was just meant to be between him and other people who are on British television, not the military of an ethnostate bent on genocide.

Could be worse though, at least he hasnt produced a second series of Baddiel's Syndrome.

BlodwynPig

That is just an advert for their podcast. Genie's out of bottle Baddiel.

Snrub

Quote from: FeederFan500 on March 01, 2024, 09:17:35 PMI'm normally a defender of the BBC and there is a lot of audio they do that is so much better than the commerical equivalents but even worse than Spencer Matthews and Jamie Laing getting commisioned to do one was the Richard Osman guess the celebs' ages quiz. I can remember it being trailed and wondering who the fuck would want to listen to that and its one series run would suggest nobody. That must have been an Osman pet project which was granted after the baffling success of House of Games.

Totally off topic, but the first podcast series of that was just Osman doing it off his own back. Was a reasonably popular podcast, but then the beeb bought it and renamed it for some reason and put it on a different podcast feed and wasn't quite as popular. Very odd.

Only just saw the Baddiel pod existed, and clicked here as fast as I could. Beyond dreadful even for him

phantom_power

There is also a podcast with Richard Osman and Marine Hyde, on Lineker's Goalhanger network. Sounds like the worst thing in the history of everything

idunnosomename

Possibly should be a separate thread on terrible celebrity podcasts that monopolise the market to push out amateurs, but get a load of THIS

QuoteBeth Rigby. Jess Phillips. Ruth Davidson.

With polls suggesting trust in politicians is low, three political powerhouses unite to unravel the spin and explain what's really going on in Westminster and beyond.

Every week, they will examine our political leaders and their policies – how they're written, and how they're sold to voters – as we prepare for a general election.

With so much at stake, they will work out which politicians are coming out on top and who is having an Electoral Dysfunction – and what it all actually means for you.

Starting on Friday March 1st 2024.

Jesus wept.

Video Game Fan 2000

Next on Sky News: speaking truth to power

bgmnts

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 11, 2024, 11:27:28 AMPossibly should be a separate thread on terrible celebrity podcasts that monopolise the market to push out amateurs, but get a load of THIS

Jesus wept.

It reminds me of something Zizek said which was that our elites aren't even elites anymore - proper useless parasites. Just churning out the same nothing suits to push the paper round and round like dung beetles.

Unless we stumble upon the next Castro, anarchism is the only way to go now.