Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

May 20, 2024, 04:46:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

White Woman's Instagram

Started by Barry Admin, May 30, 2023, 11:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Pimhole on July 06, 2023, 02:01:39 AM

Discuss.

Did Burnham come up with "stool-humping"? We hear that term a lot now in reference to a certain breed of poor-quality stand-up, but I don't know if I'd heard it pre-2021.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Oosp on July 06, 2023, 01:40:45 AMIf it please the good people of CaB, I'm reposting my own comments on this from way back on Page 1 because a) there is literally no way for anyone to view pages other than the current one and b) I can't be arsed typing them all again. There are plenty more interesting posts way back on Page 1, not that anyone will ever see them.

Hang on... Are we allowed to do that? If we write a cloyingly fannish TLDR comment that everyone politely ignores can we just keep reposting it until everyone tells us we're pretty?

Oosp

Quote from: MoreauVasz on July 06, 2023, 07:59:19 AMHang on... Are we allowed to do that? If we write a cloyingly fannish TLDR comment that everyone politely ignores can we just keep reposting it until everyone tells us we're pretty?

Sure, go for it

Pimhole

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on July 06, 2023, 04:03:26 AMDid Burnham come up with "stool-humping"? We hear that term a lot now in reference to a certain breed of poor-quality stand-up, but I don't know if I'd heard it pre-2021.

Well would you look at that - I just assumed it was a Bill Hicks reference but it's this whole thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JoeRogan/comments/gaabma/joe_rogan_on_the_art_of_stool_fucking_in_comedy/

CN: Joe Rogan

I don't recognise any of the grunting Hicks copyists in that video. Any ideas? Feel like I should know the wide, aggressively bald guy.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Pimhole on July 06, 2023, 08:04:36 AMWell would you look at that - I just assumed it was a Bill Hicks reference but it's this whole thing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JoeRogan/comments/gaabma/joe_rogan_on_the_art_of_stool_fucking_in_comedy/

CN: Joe Rogan

I don't recognise any of the grunting Hicks copyists in that video. Any ideas? Feel like I should know the wide, aggressively bald guy.

All the clips are of Rogan, some when he was younger with hair. He's been stool-fucking for decades it seems. I don't know any other stool-fuckers (and I don't know of Hicks doing it), it's funny if it's basically him, and he's become a by-word for shitty comedy (which in his case is accurate).

Pimhole

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 06, 2023, 08:55:55 AMAll the clips are of Rogan, some when he was younger with hair.

oh my god hahahahah I'm an idiot.

Genuinely thought it was at least three different but interchangeable people. To be fair, there are a lot of that guy in America. And I've somehow avoided knowing anything about Rogan for years.

Pimhole

Seriously, if you search for stand up on Netflix or the like, it's just that same guy over and over but with different names.

Thosworth

It really is listing previously observed tropes, with a few original ones thrown in. My take is the song is pretty much a social influencer update of Zappa's Valley Girl.

Meanwhile there's A Thing online where comic book artists draw 'male superheroes in female poses', to show how ridiculous they actually look - the video comes across as that.

Punching up, down, sideways? I have no idea.

dead-ced-dead

Can someone please explain what stool humping/fucking is? I tried Googling it but it just leads to a bunch of Youtube videos/Reddit threads that are hard to untangle.

phantom_power

I think when it comes to punching up or down it is not just about relative statuses. There is also the intent and feeling behind the jokes or comedy bit. Punching down tends to be nasty, dismissive or snobbish, which I don't think WWI is really

phantom_power

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on July 06, 2023, 10:29:13 AMCan someone please explain what stool humping/fucking is? I tried Googling it but it just leads to a bunch of Youtube videos/Reddit threads that are hard to untangle.

In its purest form it is the comedian literally miming fucking a stool but it can probably be extended to mean any physical comedy that involves miming sexual acts, shouting loudly and jumping around like a dick

Oosp

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on July 06, 2023, 10:29:13 AMCan someone please explain what stool humping/fucking is? I tried Googling it but it just leads to a bunch of Youtube videos/Reddit threads that are hard to untangle.

Stoolfucking is when a comicman acts out fucking (which means to a have a the Sex, very nice), using the stool on the stage as his sex partner/citrus fruit that he once shagged/women in general. And, by extension, using the stool as a prop to oversell all manner of hackneyed bits, grinding them into the ground. Hacks often oversell their shit material by cranking up the volume and becoming hugely overreliant on acting out premises that their bad writing can't illustrate with sufficient originality/clarity/grace.

Joe Rogan, a massive shithead with shit for brains, was an inveterate stoolfucker, because he is a Bro who is a Jock and Definitely Fucks, which is important for audiences to know because he says so. Funny, since a) he sees women as furniture and b) he spends hours each week figuratively "fucking his own stool" on his podcast.

I feel like Dane Cook did a fair bit of heavy-duty stoolwork, certainly on his earlier tours.

Tig Notaro subverted it beautifully on Conan (at 3:21):

studpuppet

Quote from: phantom_power on July 06, 2023, 10:37:51 AMmiming sexual acts, shouting loudly and jumping around like a dick

Pretty much the Doug Anthony Allstars' early career in a nutshell there.*

*(I love the Doug Anthony Allstars)

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Oosp on July 06, 2023, 10:53:32 AMHacks often oversell their shit material by cranking up the volume and becoming hugely overreliant on acting out premises that their bad writing can't illustrate with sufficient originality/clarity/grace.

Thank you for that, a very succinct explanation. For a second I did think of Lee Evans, who often uses physical comedy to make a routine about having sex with his wife. The difference being that when Evans uses physical comedy, he's a master craftsman who throws himself fully into whatever he does where Rogan and his ilk are far less graceful and are just screechy and obnoxious and whatever physical humping is graceless. And when Lee talks about having sex, he's often the fool in the scenerio (rather than a guy that fuuuucks).

Pimhole

Quote from: Oosp on July 06, 2023, 10:53:32 AMTig Notaro subverted it beautifully on Conan (at 3:21):

This is bloody great, the whole routine but particularly the stool bit. Like an extreme distillation of what Stewart Lee does with words.

When she gestures to the audience not to applaud... yet.

Dr Rock

I think Tig's awesome. And usually has GREAT hair.

Icehaven

Quote from: Pimhole on July 06, 2023, 12:22:30 PMThis is bloody great, the whole routine but particularly the stool bit. Like an extreme distillation of what Stewart Lee does with words.

When she gestures to the audience not to applaud... yet.

That is brilliant, and reminded me of Lee too. I know what you mean about it being what he does with words however it weirdly also reminded me of when I saw him in Birmingham years ago and he was doing a bit about Cafe Nero loyalty cards and had a flipchart on stage, and at one point he very quickly tapped it with the mic and the audience erupted, something about the way he did it was just incredibly funny for some reason. He immediately picked up on and ran with it and seemed genuinely amused and bewildered that everyone was laughing at that just as much if not more than at the actual bit. 

Pimhole

Also the bit Lee did where he put a giraffe beanie toy on his head and just stood there. Just letting the laughs come and go in waves.

I saw one show of Tig's years ago and liked it, then was a bit disappointed by her sitcom, I'm going to seek out more stuff now.

Quote from: Icehaven on July 06, 2023, 01:47:36 PMThat is brilliant, and reminded me of Lee too. I know what you mean about it being what he does with words however it weirdly also reminded me of when I saw him in Birmingham years ago and he was doing a bit about Cafe Nero loyalty cards and had a flipchart on stage, and at one point he very quickly tapped it with the mic and the audience erupted, something about the way he did it was just incredibly funny for some reason. He immediately picked up on and ran with it and seemed genuinely amused and bewildered that everyone was laughing at that just as much if not more than at the actual bit. 

I'm pretty sure that was an actual bit that became part of his scripted routine of the show. Probably initially discovered by accident, but then he would do that every night, I remember him then exploring how different lengths of time of the microphone on the flipchart were more or less funny.

madhair60

Quote from: Icehaven on July 06, 2023, 01:47:36 PMThat is brilliant, and reminded me of Lee too. I know what you mean about it being what he does with words however it weirdly also reminded me of when I saw him in Birmingham years ago and he was doing a bit about Cafe Nero loyalty cards and had a flipchart on stage, and at one point he very quickly tapped it with the mic and the audience erupted, something about the way he did it was just incredibly funny for some reason. He immediately picked up on and ran with it and seemed genuinely amused and bewildered that everyone was laughing at that just as much if not more than at the actual bit. 

i believe that's the bit Tig is ripping off

Dr Rock

Quote from: madhair60 on July 07, 2023, 12:18:49 AMi believe that's the bit Tig is ripping off

She first did it over ten years ago, when's Lee's Cafe Nero scraping from?

madhair60

Dr Rock

Fair enough then, she a low down comedy THEIF

phantom_power

Nah. Getting a laugh out of something unexpected and then repeating it to mine the comedy from it is pretty standard for a live comedian. It takes a it of bravery to push it beyond the laugh and back to being funny again but I doubt it is a steal

Dr Rock

It's just madhair being a little imp of chaos. He runs around the site causing mischief, that's how he gets his little kicks. He's like a naughty smurf.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 08, 2023, 12:41:41 PMIt's just madhair being a little imp of chaos. He runs around the site causing mischief, that's how he gets his little kicks. He's like a naughty smurf.

I always likened him more to the Sprite goblin from those old commercials, but yeah.

madhair60

sorry but it's so similar in how it's played that it is defo 100% affected and observed from Milder Comedian. I'm not having a pop at Notaro, it just manifestly is the same intonation, same faces, same bit. not arguing the toss about something that seems so clear cut to me.

Small Man Big Horse

I've watched this now and have mixed feelings, though they're due to my own mental health issues rather than anything else. I'd say for about 80% of it I found it stunning stuff and the songs were extremely inventive and very funny. When it came to the mental health aspect I was definitely over sensitive to it though, when he says that he isn't well and breaks down crying, that set me off and I had to pause it for about five minutes until I was feeling ready to start watching it again. Finally, I still struggle with White Woman's Instagram, it was the only song I thought "I get what he's doing here, but given the hell white women are subjected to by many men, maybe not make fun of them?" but this could be completely wrong, given the state I'm in right now I'm not sure if my opinions are right or wrong, and I definitely don't have the energy to discuss it in any more detail. Sorry.

Dr Rock

Quote from: madhair60 on July 08, 2023, 05:07:37 PMsorry but it's so similar in how it's played that it is defo 100% affected and observed from Milder Comedian. I'm not having a pop at Notaro, it just manifestly is the same intonation, same faces, same bit. not arguing the toss about something that seems so clear cut to me.

If it's your genuine opinion then I'm sorry for calling you a naughty smurf, and any psychological damage it caused.