Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:35:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fucking Fuck Fuck Fuck: The Snow/Transport Interface Thread

Started by Serge, February 04, 2012, 10:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

It's just taken me two and a half hours to get home from work because half an inch of snow was enough to knock out a train going between St. John's and Lewisham just outside the latter station. I only took the bloody train from London Bridge in the first place because of  weekend engineering works on my normal line (East London Line), so I thought, "Aha! I'll get a direct train from London Bridge to Catford before the snow gets too much!" Too late. Pulling out of St. Johns, the train was obviously having difficulty - the driver said it was to do with snow on the overhead lines - and kept grinding to a halt, before shuddering, starting up and creeping along a little further. Just outside Lewisham - close enough to see the tantalising lights of the station beckoning, but not actually in the station - it gave up altogether and stopped.

Half of the lights went out as well, giving it that extra-special 'let's make this even more uncomfortable' angle, and a loud Scot further down the carriage decided to phone a friend and go on about it at length, taking special care to use the word 'fuck' in every single sentence. Because we were outside the station, we were also blocking trains in either direction, and eventually, the train behind us had to push us into the station well over an hour after we'd stopped.

So, just a couple of hours after the snow started to fall, they've already started to fall apart. Is this a new record? I feel sorry for anybody further north where they're getting some real snow.

In short: FUUUUUCK!

biggytitbo

Mr Eggs

Us cheshire pussies are cowering in our mock Tudor thatched mansions because.....Hail has fallen and it has frozen on our Porsche Cayennes and they look like someone has painted them with Hammerite (There will probrably be an issue with slippery pavements and pensioners breaking their hips but we could not give a flying fuck about them, natch).

BlodwynPig

Icehaven

I had to walk all the way home from Edgebaston cricket ground. Luckily that's only 15 minutes, but I got wicked windburn on my face.

The Plunger

Fuck sake, dry your eyes Southern softies. A few inches of snow and you all shit yourselves.

Pepotamo1985

The transcendently wonderful Lady Pepotamo made her way to Sheffield for a house party via coach today, intending to return tomorrow and engage in some bed-based antics with me (namely drinking tea, watching Peep Show and letting me play with her lovely hair). Bet she won't be back by Monday, even. I told her this would happen. I AM SAD.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

It's been clear for about a week, if you were paying attention, that it was going to snow hard tonight. Perhaps the public transport providers should have been better prepared. But I think it would be fair to expect them not to be. I booked a prepaid cab home tonight. [/smug]

Mr Eggs

Quote from: The Plunger on February 04, 2012, 11:37:28 PM
Fuck sake, dry your eyes Southern softies. A few inches of snow and you all shit yourselves.

A few INCHES!...Oh, please dont. I simply couldn't bear it....The underfloor heating has packed up in the kitchen.....I've had to get our Polish nanny shift the Nespresso machine into an area warm enough for me to access....Are we in a State of Emergency yet?

Uncle TechTip

In the who can we blame stakes its certainly a record. They were at it on radio 5 earlier, having learned that 30% of flights have been cancelled tomorrow to give others a slim chance of departing they were desperately looking for someone to pin it on. Guess what - snow has a habit of bringing things to a standstill. To rail against it is to act in a manner not dissimilar to King Canute.

Serge

Quote from: The Plunger on February 04, 2012, 11:37:28 PMFuck sake, dry your eyes Southern softies. A few inches of snow and you all shit yourselves.

Which is kind of the point I was making in the original post. Half a fucking inch of snow and they have problems! I know I tend to moan about it every year, but then it does happen every year. Like the snow does. Which, as Eight Taiwanese Teenagers points out, was expected. So, maybe have overhead lines that can cope with less than two hours worth of relatively light snow.

Saucer51

Where I live is one of the few places where snow hasn't fallen nor is predicted to fall this year. So no excuse to miss work. Which is good, obviously.

Small Man Big Horse

It's still snowing fairly heavily in North London, I left the pub at 11.16pm, and didn't get back until 12.38am, and that was a journey completely by tube which should have taken about half the time. Still, everyone seems to be in a happy mood and all excited by the snow right now, and the usual anger and dismay probably won't kick in until Monday.

mook

Quote from: Hank Venture on February 05, 2012, 02:25:16 AM
An inch of snow? Pathetic.

i know. but it's enough to make it impossible to get a taxi to deliver me some cigarettes. i'm fucking gasping for some lovely nicotine. this is the worse thing to happen to anyone ever in the whole history of the world.

Dusty Gozongas

Train journeys from hell always make me smile. I'm probably the worst person to be sitting next to once the groans start. Fucking love it!

!

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Oh me too, especially on the rare occasions where ive been lumbered in 1st class with all the poshos. It's always interesting to learn all over again that most people dont 'do' resignation. This is where im always head and shoulders above them: ive had a life-time of practice at it.

Replies From View

Quote from: The Plunger on February 04, 2012, 11:37:28 PM
A few inches of snow and you all shit yourselves.

I blame Pavlov for not sorting it out when he had the chance.

BlodwynPig

They found my body this morning. BURIED. In FOUR inches of
Spoiler alert
blanket
[close]

Natnar

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 05, 2012, 10:23:43 AM
They found my body this morning. BURIED. In FOUR inches of
Spoiler alert
blanket
[close]

You really shouldn't have
Spoiler alert
Michael Jackson's
[close]
Kids around staying the night ;)

Buelligan

Spare a thought for us southernmost softies.  Despite closing the shutters tight and forcefeeding my poor woodburner to the point of exploding, I am freezing!  No snow has fallen yet but the spring has frozen solid, the Tramontane is blowing down the valley, blackening lemon and almond buds and weaseling its way around sun-shrunken doors and windows.  We are promised -12 later this week.  Time to batten down the hatches and cook something nice I think.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on January 30, 2012, 09:00:39 PM

Every morning we get up before sunrise and walk to the icy cave,  the moon. is gibbous in a snowflake of stars, smooth and clean above our dark, cold mountains.  We arrive and Anise, a chimpy-black hunting pig, dances and howls.  She knows we are going to the high vinyards where the penguins and polar bears live.

We load the crampons, the colde, icepicks and ropes into the old snow mobile.  Bags stuffed with dried meats, ice and human immunity serum on top.  Anise vaults in amongst us, tail thrashing.  We roll and bucket up the snow sodden roads into our mountains as the sun fails to rise wan over the grey peaks.  The smell of pig and frost and death and dirty diesel on the morning air. 

The van is full of people I care for not a great deal and I know how very little time left I have.  This is my coming hell.

Serge

Quote from: Dusty Gozongas on February 05, 2012, 04:10:59 AM
Train journeys from hell always make me smile. I'm probably the worst person to be sitting next to once the groans start. Fucking love it!

!

I did actually manage to finish off 'The Girl Who Played With Fire', so it wasn't all bad. You'd have loved the Scottish guy I mentioned in the OP.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 05, 2012, 10:23:43 AMThey found my body this morning. BURIED. In FOUR inches of
Spoiler alert
blanket
[close]

Was it really your body or was it switched at the last minute with Waxwork René? The conspiracy theories start here.

BlodwynPig

Never seen in the same room, twice, a waxwork museum room, twice. FACT.

Buelligan

Ooh Fucksy!  It's snowing now!  Just popped out to get more logs and there's about 10cm and it's coming down thick and fast.  I'll try to take some pics, the vinyards in the snow look rather breathtaking. :-)

I had to walk to the offy last night. Only 1km away, but it was minus 22. The things I do for booze.

Hank Venture

I'd take take a good beating for living somewhere where -12 is something out of the ordinary in wintertime.

rudi

I got a taxi from Dulwich to Stamford Hill at 11pm yesterday and didn't see anyone panicking despite the heavy snowfall.

London looked beautiful this morning and the enforced slow-down made it a pleasure to travel across.

Dead kate moss

Bump - snowing again... supposed to drive to Canterbury from London tomorrow and back... for money... but I don't want to skid and die in an icy motorway pile-up. What to do?