Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:45:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chart Music Podcast Threee John featuring 3ric Smallshaw of 3ccles

Started by George White, September 28, 2023, 04:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

So, we have finally reached the milestone 100 pages once more, and into the third chapter of the Greatest Podcast Of Our Time.

Link to old thread

boki

George White

Are there any shows we'd like to see the lads tackle a la the Nationwide special?

I was watching old Election '74 and Decision '79 and they feel almost tailor-made for a Parkes review.

dr beat

An obvious one would be Eurovision Song Contests.  Taylor seems to relish his viewings.

Edit: But then again, if they can wring 7 hours out of a 30 minute TOTP,  God knows how long they could take for Eurovision!

DrGreggles

Quote from: dr beat on September 28, 2023, 09:32:06 PMAn obvious one would be Eurovision Song Contests.  Taylor seems to relish his viewings.

Or A Song For Europe?
Some of those are fascinating

George White

Yep.
I love Taylor's descriptions.
'Mad staring Dublin cowboy' for Colm Wilkinson.
And the 1978 woman who was a cross between Bea Smith and Nina Myskow.
I watched a film that has 1961 ESC Winner for Luxembourg and 1981 Luxembourg entry Jean Claude Pascal, and lifted Parkes' description of him, 'bucket-voiced, teak-faced crooner'.

I'd also love them to an American Bandstand or a Soul Train or a Solid Gold.
Something baffling and American.

A Song for Europe would be even more fascinating, esp. when you have the ones like 1976 where you have a young, somewhat unconvincingly femmed up Hazell Dean looking like Shakin' Sandie.

George White

The Nolans representing the UK feels something heretical - I know they were (all I think) born in UK, but still, it'd be like the Pogues representing Britain. Their Irish diaspora identity is key to the band.

A band called Ipswich feels ultra-Creme Brûlée/Punch.

Might be worth another podcast series entirely, but could be interesting to see them cover The Chart Show or The Tube, as I believe has been mooted a few times. The discussion about Cameo on the last one could've been even better if it was about this:
The transition into She's Strange around the 6:15 mark is incredible.

dr beat

I feel its only a matter of time when there is a podcast about Chart Music Podcast.

centristmelt

Quote from: dr beat on September 28, 2023, 10:01:33 PMI feel its only a matter of time when there is a podcast about Chart Music Podcast.

"We may coat down your favourite Melody Maker journalist, but we never forget - they've been on Chart Music more than we have!"

George White

Or you know what would be way up Taylor's alley, those Variety Club tributes/dinnery tributes to showbiz legends, where you'd have all the golfing showbiz mob be smug and self-congratulating?

Johnboy

I find myself occassionally in real life saying "fuuuuuucking hell" like Pricey.

Senior Baiano

Quote from: George White on September 29, 2023, 07:54:21 AMOr you know what would be way up Taylor's alley, those Variety Club tributes/dinnery tributes to showbiz legends, where you'd have all the golfing showbiz mob be smug and self-congratulating?

I dunno, I think he'd feel a bit out of place

axel2019

Although i love CMP, they should do a few more 90s & 00s episodes before moving onto other non-TOTP content.
I feel there is still lots more to explore in the non-70s/80s hinterlands.

I find that the 90s TOTP episodes lack the charm and eccentricity of the 70s and early 80s ones. It's all too slick and the CM episodes about that era lack a certain something for me.

SteveDave

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on September 29, 2023, 12:38:35 PMI find that the 90s TOTP episodes lack the charm and eccentricity of the 70s and early 80s ones. It's all too slick and the CM episodes about that era lack a certain something for me.

Also hearing Simon and Neil (mostly) banging on about how "It WaSn'T aLl AbOuT bRiTpOp!" throughout every 90s episode makes my shit itch.

George White

Yes. That's the problem with the 90s eps is that they were active participants.

Taylor told me that they are going to do Savile in some way.
I thought it might be the one with the Paddington to Bristol  high speed train record attempt.
CW - contains Norris McWhirter.

Chicory

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 28, 2023, 11:11:43 AMThink my ideal CMP would be 17th September 1992 - packed with seven (count 'em!) studio performances including EMF's best single (no, not that one), James Dean Bradfield flaunting his burnished ivory physique, Shaun Ryder physically in the room but mentally in some addled limbo, an ebullient performance from the Shamen that would be sure to raise some hackles and for those preferring something a little more outré, a sparkling turn from Daniel O'Donnell. No Tony or Mark but it's the last appearances from Adrian Rose and Femi Oke, so plenty to get stuck into. And Taylor could do a deep dive into the first episode of Between the Lines, broadcast a couple of weeks previously. The perfect way to break their Year Zero duck.

It's a duck that's been wandering about for seven years, confident in the knowledge it's not going to get destroyed any time soon.  I honestly believe we'll get a ten hour magnum opus on Jingle Nonce before we get to the murky, mediocre seas of Rose, Laterz and Franklin. 

I appreciate it's difficult to relate to light entertainment stuff you didn't watch because you were in your 20s/30s (Sarah excepted) but this episode would be perfect.  They might just enjoy the bewilderment and disdain.

centristmelt

I'm hoping they'll save Jingle Nonce OBE for when they do a live episode in Leeds

Norton Canes

Quote from: Chicory on September 29, 2023, 02:30:48 PMIt's a duck that's been wandering about for seven years, confident in the knowledge it's not going to get destroyed any time soon.  I honestly believe we'll get a ten hour magnum opus on Jingle Nonce before we get to the murky, mediocre seas of Rose, Laterz and Franklin

They've had pot-shots at it with April 1991 and March 1994, so it's not like completely off limits. I suspect perhaps they might be wary of having to spend too much time explaining the nuts and bolts of what YZ was all about. It's a curate's egg in a can of worms in a rabbit hole and no mistake. If only they could consult some sort of expert on the era.

Senior Baiano

What was year zero all about though? They got some new presenters in. They started filming it in Elstree instead of TV centre. Other than that the show was exactly the same.

centristmelt

Quote from: Senior Baiano on September 29, 2023, 02:51:39 PMWhat was year zero all about though? They got some new presenters in. They started filming it in Elstree instead of TV centre. Other than that the show was exactly the same.

Everyone sang live - no miming.

Good Hank

I'd like them to spend more time in the 90s and 00s. They're all knowledgeable, intelligent people, so even if musical pickings are slim, critical and cultural insight is guaranteed.

dr beat

The 2003 episode is a good one, I agree with them that summer was pretty decent for music, went to a load of gigs then.  Sadly the noughties went a bit to shite not long after.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: George White on September 28, 2023, 09:54:51 PMThe Nolans representing the UK feels something heretical - I know they were (all I think) born in UK, but still, it'd be like the Pogues representing Britain. Their Irish diaspora identity is key to the band.

A band called Ipswich feels ultra-Creme Brûlée/Punch.

Born in Ireland as far as I know

Norton Canes

Quote from: Senior Baiano on September 29, 2023, 02:51:39 PMWhat was year zero all about though? They got some new presenters in. They started filming it in Elstree instead of TV centre. Other than that the show was exactly the same

One word: flambeaux.

Ha ha no seriously, the live singing was a seismic shift. Suddenly the artists had to put some effort into interpreting their own songs - and that meant they could put all kinds of slants on how the song was presented, and that in turn meant the show stopped being just a pop programme and could become The Word, or Later With Jools Holland, or whatever the srtists wanted. And it aligned almost perfectly with the advent of the rave vocal, with often hilarious consequences.

Also, the YZ era at Elstree was vastly more flexible in terms of how the sets could be dressed, so you get things like Soul II Soul performing in the Crystal Maze Aztec Zone, or Carter USM in a junkyard, or whatever.

But mostly, flambeaux.

Anyway shush up, Top of the Pops is about to start!

grainger

Did the audience clap on the beat through every song during the YZ era (mixed really loudly over the performance)? And throw balloons around? Honest question, I can't remember, but that's my memory of it.