Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:35:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stranger Things S4

Started by Bad Ambassador, May 26, 2022, 02:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_Larence

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on July 03, 2022, 10:31:31 PMSo your interpretation of the finale was that
Spoiler alert
they won?
[close]
Interesting take.

Well none of the main gang
Spoiler alert
got choked to death by tentacle vines, eaten by demodogs in Russia, beaten to death/unconscious by their erstwhile basketball teammate
[close]
and it looked like they all might, until in a masterful stroke of genius the writers
Spoiler alert
made it so they didn't
[close]

Zero Gravitas

4 5 endings running concurrently wasn't it? Leaky implementation shit right there, if you're not allowed to have all of your actors on the same set but really want them to be, the solution isn't weird non-local synchronization, I could have done without the Russian front altogether let the poor sods steal a real plane they'll be tied up long enough for the emotional reunion.

Even having the Russian 'damage' to Vecna occur earlier to level the previously hideously unbalanced power issue would have been nice, some idea of ongoing battle and progression.

But then again without the idea of loads of people doing shit at the same time individually they're all a very flat in isolation.

I don't think I like video as an entertainment medium anymore.

badaids

Sheesh these final episodes really dragged. The main finale was too long and drawn out and the side quests felt irrelevant. Also, the pay off with Maxine was unnecessarily brutal.

Felt like they had gone the opposite of Game of Thrones; instead of just leaving stuff unresolved we had to go into detail on everything including hours of close up footage of people suffering and unsatisfying cheap payouts where love saves the day.

bomb_dog

Finished it late last night. The whole thing looked incredible but is dragged down by its sheer length. I'm convinced that in the near future there'll be people editing down these series into 2hr films and by doing so, making them far, far better.

I'm absolutely sure the length and split in the series is to keep people paying out for the 'flix.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: badaids on July 04, 2022, 09:21:14 AMwe had to go into detail on everything including hours of close up footage of people suffering and unsatisfying cheap payouts where love saves the day.
Don't forget that Mike is the heart.

phantom_power

Watched it now and it seems some of the spoilers were fake, so even less fucking point.

I can see how people might think it is bloated and over-long but I love spending time with these characters and the great music, visuals and (in the main) acting add to that as well. It is like easy-going hang TV mixed in with Lovecraftian horror. Good stuff

Mr_Simnock

Agree with the above. I enjoyed the whole series but would have liked a bit more of dealing with the bully bit done better, that felt a little half baked.

Pink Gregory

Bently Sheds

The only thing I didn't get was
Spoiler alert
Eleven seemingly only able to use her telekinetic powers by stretching her arm out. Old Vectra didn't have to do anything to move stuff with his mind, but there's 11, tentacled to a door St Andrew stylee, all powerless and vulnerable.
[close]
seemed like pointless bollocks to me...

badaids

It does indeed look amazing.  Can we all agree that the music is still incredible as well.  No need for a new Boards of Canada album as long as the series is still going.

Pink Gregory

It's annoying because there's so much sludge to wade through and of course because you're following 3-4 groups there's never enough time to really bed in with them but then there'll be a huge YEEEEAH moment like
Spoiler alert
Master of Puppets
[close]
or
Spoiler alert
Hopper picking up a sword to fight the Demagorgon
[close]

jobotic

I like it but....

It's just relentless scenes of children in agony and misery, I find it quite upsetting to watch at times.

Then there's the length of it, my attention does wander.

Plus
Spoiler alert
Max and Eddie were two of my favourite characters
[close]
. Bastards.

Vodkafone

Quote from: BritishHobo on July 01, 2022, 11:06:59 PMYeah, that was too long, and paced all to fuck. It completely lost me from the moment they
Spoiler alert
undid Max's death. I can't stand that in shows or films. If you don't want the character to die, fine: don't kill her off in the first place then. Cheap, manipulative writing.
[close]

It should have ended when the event in that spoiler first happened. A real gutpunch cliffhanger. Instead it went on to do a Lord of the Rings with thirteen endings, and then repeated the earlier cliffhanger-worthy moment, now to less effect.

I think it's bad when the two-and-a-half-hour finale opens with a scene which immediately feels like it should have been cut, as the bollocks with the quirky Russian bloke did. Ooh, my helicopter's got tits! Fuck off mate. Self-indulgent.

SORT IT OUT

On the plus side, Maya Hawke looks AMAZING in a beret

Dex Sawash

I thought the final episode passed reasonably quickly.

phantom_power

Quote from: jobotic on July 04, 2022, 10:35:46 PMI like it but....

It's just relentless scenes of children in agony and misery, I find it quite upsetting to watch at times.

Then there's the length of it, my attention does wander.

Plus
Spoiler alert
Max and Eddie were two of my favourite characters
[close]
. Bastards.

Spoiler alert
I think Sadie Sink must be leaving because she is so good and going onto other things. Maybe playing Shiv in the new Succession Babies show they are developing
[close]

Ant Farm Keyboard

If you want a fun game, count the number of montages revolving around archive footage of Max during the season.

jobotic

I did like Jonathan's shirt, although it must have stunk by the end.

Poobum

Maybe they know how shit Millie Bobby Brown is so are gonna bring Max back with powers.

Bad Ambassador

Sadie Sink's been the MVP this season, but most of the adults have also been very strong. The Gelman/Ryder double act was a pleasure, and Harbour got his Emmy speech backed by music from The Hitcher.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Which of the cast do you think will have a Drew Barrymore style drugs and alcohol burnout by the time they're 25? There's bound to be one.

The Guppy

GoblinAhFuckScary

rather unexpectedly enjoyed this after i think a couple lacklustre seasons. sound design is really impressive

not perfect, but a really lovely bunch of characters. it struck me that the show is being a little queerbaity. i know for context it's the 80s and you can't have openly gay characters, but we now have two who don't seem to be having any substantial same-sex romance. fucking do something with it guys stop being pussies (the writers)

phantom_power

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on July 24, 2022, 11:51:18 AMrather unexpectedly enjoyed this after i think a couple lacklustre seasons. sound design is really impressive

not perfect, but a really lovely bunch of characters. it struck me that the show is being a little queerbaity. i know for context it's the 80s and you can't have openly gay characters, but we now have two who don't seem to be having any substantial same-sex romance. fucking do something with it guys stop being pussies (the writers)

Well Robyn seems to have got lucky at the end of this season and I think part of Will's arc is his sexuality and wanting to come out but not feel like he can.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: phantom_power on July 24, 2022, 12:56:19 PMWell Robyn seems to have got lucky at the end of this season and I think part of Will's arc is his sexuality and wanting to come out but not feel like he can.

need to see robyn actually doing some gay shit though! not just alluding to it! NEED her to actually get with vicky next season otherwise that's bollocks

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It was nice that Will had that heart to heart with Jonathan, who has otherwise been rather vestigial. Does anyone really care about the love triangle with him, Nancy and Steve (and, if so, is there anyone that isn't Team Steve all the way)?

Proactive

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on July 24, 2022, 01:32:48 PMneed to see robyn actually doing some gay shit though! not just alluding to it! NEED her to actually get with vicky next season otherwise that's bollocks
What are we talking, scissoring, double ended dildo, strap-on or just a run of the mill old fashioned lickout?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 24, 2022, 02:32:56 PMIt was nice that Will had that heart to heart with Jonathan, who has otherwise been rather vestigial. Does anyone really care about the love triangle with him, Nancy and Steve (and, if so, is there anyone that isn't Team Steve all the way)?

team steve obvs, but i really don't understand why steve is even a temptation in the first place... like they haven't seen each other for years and she wasn't exactly mad about him in the first place. felt like a bit of pointless meander that plotline idk

Quote from: Proactive on July 24, 2022, 02:51:39 PMWhat are we talking, scissoring, double ended dildo, strap-on or just a run of the mill old fashioned lickout?

eh?

Proactive

Pink Gregory

Robyn goes to kiss a lady but falls over some boxes and styles it out because she's cute and awkward

SpiderChrist

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on July 24, 2022, 03:01:52 PMfelt like a bit of pointless meander that plotline idk

There was a lot of that tbf. The whole season could probably have been edited down to 3 one hour episodes. And the big "reveal" about Vecna actually being Number 1 was signposted so far in advance that the big DANG DANG DANG was just laughable.

It's been diminishing returns in each season, it's much too long, and there were so many subplots that I just stopped caring whether any of the protagonists lived or died.

Possibly the most overrated show I've watched since Extras.