Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:25:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

1/2 Year Review

Started by social rhinoceros, July 01, 2012, 12:44:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: mook on July 02, 2012, 12:45:15 AM
it might be doing him a favour, buying a lawnmower is the beginning of the end for nearly every man. behind every well trimmed lawn is a deeply unhappy man.

Noted.

So do I hire someone else, ignore it or use trimmers? [nb]We need to know.[/nb]

(not that I have a lawn)

HappyTree

I like mowing the grass! I dream of owning my own lawnmower. But the question is: to bin-collect or not bin-collect? It's easier without but then you have to rake, which is less fun.

And petrol or electric? We had electrics and I was always faffing around with circuit breakers and positioning the cord. Though our cats did like playing with it. Petrol seemed too elaborate. Maybe they do mowers with rechargeable batteries now so you can have freedom. Do they make mowers like this? That would be brilliant.

Last 6 months, bit crap. But I've gone from wanting to die to planning finally to do that masters so it's not all bad. Next 6 months are where it's at.

Ginyard

Quote from: HappyTree on July 02, 2012, 02:06:42 AM
I like mowing the grass! I dream of owning my own lawnmower. But the question is: to bin-collect or not bin-collect?

If you must go electric then try the Bosch Rotak 43. Its a pretty decent lawnmower from a company named after a child's punching sound effect. Here are some specs:

Bosch Rotak 43 Features

� High torque motor to ensure a reliable cut even under difficult conditions.

� Innovative grass combs to enable a close cut to the edge of walls and flower beds.

� Light wieght for earier carrying and storage.

� Good manoeuvrability.

� All-round on/off switch for ease of use.

Bosch Rotak 43 Technical Specification

� Cutting Width: 17 inches / 43cm

� Motor: 1700 watt Powerdrivetm

� Torque: 23 Nm

� Cutting System: Rotary Blade

� Grass Box Capacity: 50 litres

� Weight: 13.5kg

� Make: Bosch

� Model: Rotak 43

If you look in Google images, you'll probably notice the red lever at the top That's where you adjust the height of the cut.You see it says, and a I quote "Cutting Height: 10 Heights between 20mm - 70mm " but I measured its maximum as a good 82mm, so its important to adjust carefully if you don't want it left too long. 50 liters is a good capacity but it will mean repeated trips to the brown bin. For example, last wednesday when I mowed the lawn I made no fewer than 16 trips to the brown bin. Our garden is pretty big and on 3 tiers so I had to map an economical path eachtime I did it, but its all exercise isn't it? The bin slides off quite easily and it was nice to find that its angled so keeps most of the grass in, unlike Flymos which leave mini-compost heaps behind. Its not too heavy when full to bend your wrist unless you've just been lazy and mowed over some rocks to go at the weeds.

I like the fact that the Bosch is green to go with the grass and shrubbery but its not really a natural green. Its not properly camouflaged. Its no John Rambo. Its actually more like the sort of green you see on go-karts. The plastic is good. Good tough plastic. The wheels are a bit shit but they do the job (ie: rotate). The handle's solid but angled in such a way that it sometimes makes the Bosch do wheelies. If I'd wanted to do wheelies I'd have bought a Grifter, although the lawn would have suffered.

The Bosch Rotak 43 is on the heavier side of light so you sometimes have to give it a bit of a shove but its otherwise a smooth and even cutting machine(ven). Thoroughly recommended.

Others you might also consider:

Mountfield EL350

Bosch Rotak 40 (same specs but slightly narrower. Is it really worth the drop in price? Your decision)

Flymo Visimo  -  cheap little bugger but does have a grass box you can look into thanks to a plastic window. That's a nice afterthought from Flymo.

HappyTree

Looks cool. Do I get a lawn with it or do I have to get one myself? One day! I find that kind of activity therapeutic. I think I've spent my whole life wanting to retire and just potter around in the garden.

Necrophagism

Ah, to potter. Don't we all just do that in between shedding a tear and tearing up shards of grass? A tidy lawn is a happy lawn. Yet we musn't let the patch of grass that is our responsibility become the arbiter of our joy. The outrageous growth of every blade shames the dying human cell.

Cagey Joe

Completed my NQT year, received a 'phenomenal' report, was made permanent and given my own department.

Fell in love with the girl I was best friends with in school and started planning our life together.

Started playing football again for a team after too many years out; still got skills, can't wait for the new season.

Bought myself a piano and began teaching myself to play it, possibly the most rewarding hobby I've ever had.

No longer try to be funny all the time.

Stopped fearing death because I no longer feel I'm wasting my time.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Cagey Joe on July 02, 2012, 06:53:43 AM
Completed my NQT year, received a 'phenomenal' report, was made permanent and given my own department.

Fell in love with the girl I was best friends with in school and started planning our life together.

Started playing football again for a team after too many years out; still got skills, can't wait for the new season.

Bought myself a piano and began teaching myself to play it, possibly the most rewarding hobby I've ever had.

No longer try to be funny all the time.

Stopped fearing death because I no longer feel I'm wasting my time.

Yeah, but are you happy?

Hank Venture

More importantly: is he clubbing?

Cagey Joe

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 02, 2012, 07:59:13 AM

Yeah, but are you happy?

The more you experience achievement, the less likely you are to find rapture in a bag of M&Ms.

I'm pleased with what I've done this year, I love the people around me and I'm learning to take stock of the things I sometimes take for granted.

There are always things which make me feel happy; far more important has been not worrying any more.

ziggy starbucks

do you really need 4 user accounts just to tell us repeatedly how amazing you are and how amazing your life is?

I only need the 1.

I'm amazing. Now I've said it once the words will echo for eternity through the mountains and oceans, carried by the wind for all time to be heard by future generations like a whisper from the gods.

job done.

Cagey Joe

My life isn't amazing, I've just worked really hard and tried some new things. I hope the PGCE went well.

Perhaps I misunderstood the intention of this thread.

I found a dead mouse in a ventilation pipe and it smelled disgusting.

Hope that helps.

Caroline

Went on a nice holiday, went to loads of fucking weddings, lost the job I hated, no new job yet. 6/10.

social rhinoceros

Quote from: Cagey Joe on July 02, 2012, 10:35:56 AM
My life isn't amazing, I've just worked really hard and tried some new things. I hope the PGCE went well.

Perhaps I misunderstood the intention of this thread.

I found a dead mouse in a ventilation pipe and it smelled disgusting.

Hope that helps.

You didn't misunderstand the intention of the thread.  Although, reading your reply, I feel I need to do something new!! 

Nuclear Optimism

Oh you're only going to encourage him...

mook

is cagey joe an old'un in disguise then?

BlodwynPig

#ImAmazing: Bought a Ukelele and learnt to play in 3 hours. I now have a little following on YouTube and my Hey Jude video has nearly a million hits. I've been hired for two weddings and do a regular gig on Tuesdays at the Rocking Cock pub.

#ImAmazing: Met the girl of my dreams on Match.com. She's so cool and called Henrietta. We have bought matching shirts and wear sunglasses and hats in all weathers. We're off to Brighton next weekend to see what we can find in some rock pools.

#ImAmazing: Just got a certificate of the finer arts from Luton University. The professor said I was one of the best students she had ever had the pleasure of teaching. A small gallery in Bedford is looking to host some of my plasticine sculptures.

#ImAmazing: I feel so good. I really feel like the centre of my universe. I even skip down the street sometimes as people wink and smile at me. Society today really has given us youth the chance to reach our full potential. I've set up a new religion - the Cult of Me. I truly am Amazing.

Help me, please...someone, help me.

mook

there's no rock pools in brighton, you'd be better off heading east to birling gap, just be careful in case a house falls on you.

tell you what i'll met you there and help you bang henrietta and then i'll treat us all to ice cream and beers.

Buelligan

This half-year has been a day longer than the average half-year.  Other than that, I can't really criticise it.  I'm going to award it 7.84.

Hank Venture

Quote from: mook on July 02, 2012, 11:39:30 AM
is cagey joe an old'un in disguise then?

Smells like crustacean.

mook

^

why i oughtta, that damn scabbity crab.

rudi

Quote from: mook on July 02, 2012, 11:39:30 AMis cagey joe an old'un in disguise then?

Think crap flounce, think sneery superiority, think used to be such a nice lad.

[ed] Oh bugger; post anyway.

Nuclear Optimism

He'll have to mention "that band" sooner or later.

BlodwynPig

Rock pool in Brighton - snooker with pebbles.

petula dusty

I started a brand new job at the end of last year working for a charity selling their insurance and other products. Part time, crap money but no child care costs. It'll do for now and I was lucky to get it after being out of work for so long. My boss is a bit of a prick though. Thinks it's funny to throw balled up bits of paper at your head and sneak up behind you to pop balloons/shout in your ear. Twat.

In the last two months my daughter has had a baby (this does not, in any way, make me a grandmother, OK?) and I've passed my driving test. I've also put back on 1.5 stone of the 2.5 stone that I'd lost by last Christmas. Also, I've now started my 7th year of being single and, probably not coincidentally, my 7th year of not being depressed. On the whole, 8/10 with room for lots more good things to happen hopefully.

I've not been clubbing.

I've also been away from this place for a good few months but I missed you all so much. Even you.

BlueSkies

The relationship that I'd thought was progressing nicely was suddenly torn asunder. Result being that I haven't seen the girl I love for 3 months because we're in different countries, though we're still in contact - which is probably a bad thing. There is a glimmer of hope things will get back on track when we're both reunited in the same corner of the globe in 2 months, but I can't help being pessimistic, focusing on all of the bad signs over the good ones, and planning for the worst.

I did have the most intimate moment of my life with said girl on the day we parted, so there's a positive - but it's left a bitter taste because of the months of doubt and uncertainty that followed on its heels.

On the plus side, my creative output has been higher than ever, and I feel like I'm learning some good skills and getting valuable experience in the modes of expression I like most (game development and music), my first game, a lo-fi arcade/puzzler, having been completed this past week.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

: Saw Om play live in Barcelona.
       Got a pay rise and new clients at work.
       Bungee jumped.
       Got all trim looking.
       Stopped biting my fingernails.

: Managed, after months of anticipation, to miss Melvins and half of Sleep's set at Alexandra Palace.
       Lost my posh sunglasses on the way back from said gig.
       Prometheus.
       Weight loss has apparently made me vulnerable to the cold, and people whinging at me to eat more.

Nuclear Optimism

What are "posh" sunglasses?

Top tip: Posh people don't wear sunglasses. I reckon you've been had by the guy in the sunglasses shop.