Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:46:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pubs then

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, August 17, 2021, 10:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 18, 2021, 07:23:55 PM
Missed out the victoria behind the town hall (when open) easy a 9 at the right time of year, nudging Xmas. Superbly pretty saloon bar.

It's lovely yes, thanks for mentioning that. The main room is a beaut and it's the venue for plenty of post-pint pondering after town hall meetings for campaigners and politicians. Unfortunately I don't really like the churn of food and chain grind which drags it down a bit. I used to go there a lot when I lived on Clarendon Road.

You are right that late November when the nights visibly draw in and the decorations start going up is peak Victoria. If you get a booth with some good friends and compadres you're sorted for the evening.

Kankurette

Quote from: thelittlemango on August 18, 2021, 12:11:31 PM
Speaking of Holborn and pub cats, I'm a big fan of The Seven Stars. It's a cosy little place with old theatre posters everywhere and frequented by people who work at the Royal Courts of Justice around the corner, and also has a lovely pub cat that wears a ruff:

I've seen plenty of pub dogs but not a pub cat. What a beauty!

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2021, 07:28:51 PM

You are right that late November when the nights visibly draw in and the decorations start going up is peak Victoria. If you get a booth with some good friends and compadres you're sorted for the evening.

Absolutely! Literally thinking the exact same thing!

shiftwork2

On the off-chance the CaB collective one day ventures 50 whole mins further than Cambridge to the superior city of Norwich then the Murderers, the Adam and Eve or the Fat Cat should feature.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Kankurette on August 18, 2021, 07:31:43 PM
I've seen plenty of pub dogs but not a pub cat. What a beauty!

You need to get yersen to Bag O Nails in Bristol, they've got about 6 in a small room including one who inhabits Oh Lord She Comin' class.

The Seven Stars cat with the white nose and white gloves is identical to my sister's cat Blimey and both are quite lovely, if utterly, utterly stupid.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Darles Chickens on August 18, 2021, 07:27:00 PM
Unfortunately the Flying Pig is DEAD SOON.  Landowner is set to demolish it in the autumn, because what Cambridge definitely needs is some 7 storey office blocks.

https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/news/craig-bennett-let-s-get-together-and-save-the-flying-pig-pu-9209999/

Yeah. Proper shame. Mrs SpiderChrist used to work there. Nice pub, nice people, stitched up by developers and the council.

Psybro

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2021, 07:27:13 PM

Harlequin   7.6.    (considered not adding this on account of the unrepentant TERF landlady, choose wisely)

I was fuming when I found out about this because I really like the place but can't justify going when this is considered alongside the abundance of alternatives.

Any reason the Kelham Island Tavern doesn't feature? Too obvious?

For micropubs you now have The Itchy Pig and the Beer House, I prefer the former.

Mr Banlon

The Warrington in Maida Vale is a lovely old gin palace. Looks like it'd be a bugger to dust though.

Started life as a brothel

Quote from: SpiderChrist on August 18, 2021, 07:41:17 PM
Yeah. Proper shame. Mrs SpiderChrist used to work there. Nice pub, nice people, stitched up by developers and the council.

Sound like the developers just lawyered the council on this one, as the council seemed to have a change of heart.

Haven't been in Cambridge since 2007, but the Pig was pretty much the main thing encouraging me to return for a visit one day.  Now the only thing that'll encourage me is to piss through Pace Investments' letterbox.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah there are loads of micropubs in Sheffield that I'm well behind going to but just get diverted. Most of my Sheffield friends aren't very adventurous.

University Arms and Kelham Island do deserve a mention but they don't quite tick the boxes for me to reach the 7.5 threshold. Uni Arms missing a room that has a great atmosphere and likewise Kelham great for beers but always found the overall environment fairly bland. There is a certain sniffy older crowd there too, I've found.

kalowski

Hardly ever go out nowadays put places I like in Manchester include
The Pevril of the Peak
The Brtion's Protection
The Abel Heywood
Cain and Grain
Home
Used to like the (literal) toilet that was The Temple of Convenience but reckon I've not been in for 15 years.

shiftwork2

The Peveril of The Peak featured in the OP.  I was last in Manchester a few years ago and it was thankfully unchanged.  I worked in a call centre across the road in the mid 90s and would, with a couple of compatriots, make the most of our morning 10 minute break by popping in for a pint which we'd have around 2 mins to consume, lovely mornings on the phones quite buzzy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I went for a nostalgic visit to Temple in July, first time since Manchester CaB meet in 2009 and they've fucked with the interior and it has lost much of its.. charm...or...whatever that was. Getting beer served in plastic glasses even when you're inside isn't great either.

Pev seem to have realised that the best thing it could possibly do is not change a fucking bit. Wish many others could learn from that.

shiftwork2

Also, from kalowski's post The Briton's Protection is such a gem it's almost surreal.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yeah I'd agree. The Castle Hotel deserves a mention alongside them.

As Briton's and Peveril are so close it's difficult to think of them other than as a pair.

I reckon The New Oxford is a nice enough newer pub in Manchester. Serious number of Belgian ales but the bench seating and the general vibe from the locals is good.

kalowski

Me and a couple of matee are hitting the Briton's soon as we want to hit the fabulous whiskey and whisky menu.

kalowski

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2021, 08:17:56 PM
Yeah I'd agree. The Castle Hotel deserves a mention alongside them.

As Briton's and Peveril are so close it's difficult to think of them other than as a pair.

I reckon The New Oxford is a nice enough newer pub in Manchester. Serious number of Belgian ales but the bench seating and the general vibe from the locals is good.
I don't remember the Castle Hotel, but I must have been. I have just been reminded of the fabulous Marble Arch on Rochdale Road.

Ferris

The Closed Shop was my local for years, absolute belter of a pub. If you could get that bay window seat in the front on the left of the door you were absolutely laughing.

Uni Arms had that greenhouse bit in it if I'm remembering the right place, that was a very unique little spot to drink in. Might have changed in the intervening decade and a half though...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 18, 2021, 08:21:09 PM
The Closed Shop was my local for years, absolute belter of a pub. If you could get that bay window seat in the front on the left of the door you were absolutely laughing.

Uni Arms had that greenhouse bit in it if I'm remembering the right place, that was a very unique little spot to drink in. Might have changed in the intervening decade and a half though...

Yes to both. Closed Shop used to take on too many ales on the pumps and not get through them. Sadly the awful pool table has gone and Stancill's refurb has slightly nudged the charm out of the place, albeit the beer is better.

Uni Arms greenhouse is bit exactly as you left it.

Maybe I am too harsh on both, but there's seriously stiff competition in Sheffield, and once they're admitted someone will pipe up with 'what about the Old Queen's Head'

SHEFFIELD BASED POST

RetroRobot

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on August 18, 2021, 03:37:03 PM
On the contrary, I was part of the leedsbid group and some of the horror stories from management and first hand experience would make your skin crawl. There's a safe space then there's so.ething tantamount to fascism. The horror stories are out there, just look in front of your nose.

Never had a problem in there myself or seen it, but thanks for letting me know.

[Edited to be less arsey after a bit of googling. Seems to have been dealt with from what I've been told but no real way to back it up or go off hearsay. Still love the place mind, the one queer spot in Leeds I feel "right" in since more mainstream gay bars are very cis-gay man focused, which is fine too, but not for me.]

shiftwork2

General polite notice to cunts: it'd be beneficial if you'd mention the town / city / village you're referring to, even a few posts ago.  I don't know where Savile's Retracted Foreskin is.

likely to be in Leeds.

phes

Not a great deal to say about sheffield micros tbh. You can expect decent quality ale and of course a good selection of craft cans, but few have yet to  really carve out a unique place. Ale club on Eccy Road is a very decent little place and really sad to discover just tonight that James (of very acceptable Cuckoo brewery The Brew Foundation), the owner (who was very young) died about a month ago. We treated him about two years ago and he was always a very public fundraiser for local cancer dep't. Cancer is an absolute bitch when it comes back

dr beat

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2021, 09:22:39 PM
Yes to both. Closed Shop used to take on too many ales on the pumps and not get through them. Sadly the awful pool table has gone and Stancill's refurb has slightly nudged the charm out of the place, albeit the beer is better.

Uni Arms greenhouse is bit exactly as you left it.

Maybe I am too harsh on both, but there's seriously stiff competition in Sheffield, and once they're admitted someone will pipe up with 'what about the Old Queen's Head'

SHEFFIELD BASED POST

What's Broomhill/Crookes like for pubs these days?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: dr beat on August 18, 2021, 09:46:51 PM
What's Broomhill/Crookes like for pubs these days?

Crookes pubs haven't changed much. Ball still the Ball, Grindstone refitted and garish as fuck (wasn't great anyway, but leaving that aside), Cobden is pleasingly same as always thanks to Bods, Hallamshire is Thornbridge, smart, pricey but solid and dependable. Closed Shop is Stancill-run. Clean but slightly too disinfected with the charm almost gone. Punch Bowl still a shithole. Can't remember the rest. There's a new micro at the top of School Road.

I couldn't tell you about Broomhill. After Richie stopped doing the Sports Quiz at Notty House I've barely been back. As someone mentioned above, The York got a stylish yuppy refit in about 2012. Broomhill Tavern chugs on as ever.

TrenterPercenter

Edinburgh seems to have an abundance of great pubs

The Voodoo Rooms
The Cafe Royal
The Bow Bar
The Guildford Arms
The Captain's Bar
Bennet's Bar

That is just for starters.

Seriously jealous of the Edinburgh peeps on CAB

Psybro

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2021, 09:55:59 PMCobden is pleasingly same as always thanks to Bods,

Some of my mates used to live the other side of the Cobden View and if they couldn't get a table would just take their pints through the gate at the end of the beer garden and over the road to their living room.  Basically heaven.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 18, 2021, 10:04:33 PM
Bennets Bar, Edinburgh

Yep, that's going on the map. Thank you.

dr beat

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2021, 10:10:43 PM

Couple more to consider if you venture South: John Leslie's Bar and the Old Bell.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2021, 09:55:59 PM
Crookes pubs haven't changed much.

Is the Noah's Ark still going? That's a properly shit and racist pub, I'm hoping it's gone bust.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 18, 2021, 10:10:43 PM

I suggested that you wazzock!

Edit: just checked my post, no I didn't, who's the wazzock now eh?