Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:02:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your signature scent

Started by Chedney Honks, June 02, 2021, 08:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

I saw a post the other day about cologne and I started thinking about how until recent years I never really wore any scent maybe apart from on a night out, without thinking. I always liked them on other people, though, both women and men although I'm not gay.

Partly, it was poverty. I didn't have the money to spend on smelling of anything other than deodorant. Partly, it was because I always found colognes and eau de toilettes a bit strong and overpowering as a teenager and young man (certainly because I put too much on, not knowing what to do, like most young people). Partly because I didn't have better quality stuff, to be honest, so it smelled a bit sickly and synthetic.

Mainly, though, it's because I wasn't sure why I would want to 'inflict' a scent on other people or even myself if I were eating or whatever or if it might 'clash' with my wife's perfume and so on. I wasn't really sure of the motivation behind it. People will think I smell nice? I already smell nice. Then I thought, well, why do I iron a shirt? Why do I polish my shoes? Why do I get a haircut?

Theatre, mores, modality. It's fun to switch roles and mindsets and these things are a ritualistic cue. A scent can be part of that. Also, it's just a very pleasant thing to have a nice evolving smell occasionally waft up your schnozz. It seems frivolous but I really enjoy spirits and tea and coffee and so on just for the nose. I buy a lot of flowers for my wife because I love the scent in the house. It changes the atmosphere, enriches your environment, maybe lifts or lightens your mood.

Any recommendations? I don't want to spend Tom Ford money, to be perfectly honest, but I do like to keep an eye out for a good value fragrance.

I am currently wearing Thierry Mugler cologne which is very grassy and fresh at first, I really enjoy putting it on, it's a citric spritz, almost mouth watering. Then it opens up to something very very clean. It settles somewhere between soap and a herbaceous bubblegum and then gets woodier and earthier over the course of the day. I got it for under forty quid so pretty cheap but it really is a great value, dreamy spring/summer scent.

No joke replies, please.

bakabaka

The only scent that I could tolerate (I tend to react badly to a base part of most perfumes) and that suited me was Cardin by Pierre Cardin.

Unfortunately there have been several different perfumes/colognes by that name over the years and the only one that worked for me was the one discontinued in about 1978. A couple of years later my then girlfriend's mum gave me a small bottle that they had left over in the perfume department she worked at. Love at first whiff, but I never found any more. And because of the duplicated name, I can't even search for it.

Sorry, CH, no recommendations.

I mostly wear Boss The Scent cos my other half likes it. Just listen to this blurb:

QuoteBOSS THE SCENT has been created for BOSS Men who play seduction slowly, passionately and as an experience to be savoured and returned to time after time. With BOSS THE SCENT, he can engage all five senses, tapping into what women really want: An irresistible aftershave, unforgettable like a savoured seduction.

Exquisite notes of Ginger, exotic and exclusive Maninka and virile Leather unfold over time. The effect is unrepentedly potent, crafted to provoke the senses with an air of depth and enigma: powerful, rich, full-bodied.

The bottle presents the evocative amber juice set in a silver cage, as if capturing the spirit of seduction before it unleashes its dynamic power.

That's right, bitches, I'm the BOSS Man.

I've also have a bottle of Diesel Only The Brave from my ex that I'm trying to use up, but the bottle is deceptively big and it's looked about a third full for about three years now. It's a woody, citrusy scent and the bottle looks like it's wanking off a piston:

Twit 2

TrenterPercenter

Cheds I use Sauvage it's a bit more ££ but not as pricey as the Tom Ford stuff but it's really nice and I've had several people comment on it whilst out (sorry I should add here that one person that commented was a woman working in a garage who told me I was wearing Sauvage virtually after me walking through the door she was very keen on it seemed).  All the Huge Boss's and Armani's are generally good also (again no silly Tom Ford money).  I don't wear it all the time (especially now I'm not office bound) but it's nice to wear every now and again when out so it last for ages (had the currently bottle from xmas 2018 I think (though it does perish a bit after a while).

Chedney Honks

I've heard some good things about Sauvage, a 'people pleaser', as they say. I'll give it a sniff when I make it out to a department store for one of my regular poncing sessions.

Boss The Scent sounds hilarious, I love all the blurb for these things. Spray this on, lads, and women will be literally slitting their throats at your feet in sacrifice to your presence.

I picked up some Chanel Platinum Egoiste which is a bit more than I would normally go for but I'm moving on imminently and I like the idea of a new scent for a new phase. It's kind of metallic and soapy, barbershop vibe, pretty old school. Not a very sexy or alluring scent, more of a 'meet the Japanese investors' and show them that British Rover is BACK. It's gorgeous stuff.

Norton Canes

Body Shop ACTIVIST eau de toilette, intimate yet ebullient

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Chedney Honks on June 02, 2021, 10:03:05 AMI've heard some good things about Sauvage, a 'people pleaser', as they say. I'll give it a sniff when I make it out to a department store for one of my regular poncing sessions.

Sauvage is lovely but it seemed like everyone was wearing it for a while (you might say it was a Sauvage-fest). It doesn't last too long either, won't get you through a full day.

My wife always likes me to wear Gautiler Le Male. It isn't my absolute favorite, I always went for Gucci's eponymous scent which I'm not sure they do any more, but it's definitely a good scent - approved by a female person.

For cheap, every day use, I go for CK Eternity Aqua. Nice fresh smell. I bought a 200ml bottle nearly 3 years ago for about 30 quid and it's still about half full.

Dex Sawash

I got a bottle of Hai Karate around 1976, mother disappeared it.

AsparagusTrevor

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on June 02, 2021, 10:49:00 AM
For cheap, every day use, I go for CK Eternity Aqua. Nice fresh smell. I bought a 200ml bottle nearly 3 years ago for about 30 quid and it's still about half full.

Yep I'm with Trevor here Eternity (and Eternity Aqua) is a great shout.

Chedney Honks

I just remembered my all-time favourite, Fahrenheit by Dior. Still got a bottle knocking around in the drawer, smells fantastic. It's like an oriental leathery petrol kind of thing, really deep and dark and metallic. Can't wait for the sun to fuck off so I can slosh this on in the back of my Capri, sporting my tan leather bowling glove and burgundy and mustard baseball jacket, classic Ray Bans, cocked Magnum in hand while my wife blows bubblegum bubbles and smokes a menthol in the driver's seat.

thenoise

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on June 02, 2021, 10:49:00 AMGautiler Le Male.

This one gets my wife's vote too. And she's the one who has the smell me. By law.

Buelligan

Agua di Parma, the original Colonia.  I bloody love it, don't have any because I have no money but if I did, that would be it.

Icehaven

My Mum got me a box of little bottles of various Dior perfumes from duty free years ago, and I particularly liked J'adore, but it's prohibitively expensive so other than the odd Christmas present I'm generally without any. I found a fairly good cheapo copy on a market stall a few years ago, very similar shaped bottle and called something like J'adonut or something (I'm kidding, can't remember what it was really called) but I've not seen it since.

seepage

I quite like L'Occitane Terre de Lumiere, which has a tobacco note [in a good way]. 85 quid for 90ml though.

Bleu de Chanel for when I'm going somewhere nice (never happens) but for everyday use it's this timeless classic.

H-O-W-L

Someone quote Alan's recipe for his signature scent from From The Oast House, please. I can't be fucked to transcribe it.

wosl

Usually a citrusy fougere.  Used to be YSL Pour Homme (old bottle) or Lacoste Original, before the price-hike. Now it's the poor man's Eau Sauvage (which I'm not going to name, because I want to be assured of a supply of it at the great price it currently sells for). Bergamot, Amalfi lemons, petitgrain, moss.  Nice one. (Edit: There's another poor man's Eau Sauvage, which I can't vouch for: Lin Sauvage by Daniel Hechter.)

dissolute ocelot

I've got a 5 year old bottle of Gaultier's Le Male which I was given by an ex; it's allegedly inspired by sailors but is supposed to smell like shaving soap - there's mint and lavender in there. I only feel comfortable wearing something that's very fresh-smelling, like that or something citrussy like CK One, rather than anything smelling of musk or leather or tobacco or decay.

Apparently Pope Benedict the previous had a secret custom scent to go with his designer shoes. Not sure how you keep something secret when you're wafting it around all day, but maybe it had a bit of unbaptised baby in there.

seepage

Did he use it mask the smell of vomit on the shoes?

wosl

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on June 02, 2021, 09:41:44 AM
I mostly wear Boss The Scent cos my other half likes it

Which half? The burst of top notes or the dry-down?

shiftwork2

Chedney Honks

Quote from: wosl on June 02, 2021, 04:27:35 PM
Usually a citrusy fougere.

Separate question but you clearly know what you're doing, I'd really like to try a sandalwood fragrance, have you got any recommendations, please?

wosl

What I know comes mainly from dipping into Basenotes.  If you're after a linear/sandalwood dominant one, perhaps check out one of the threads there, such as: The Quest for THE sandalwood fragrance

wosl

Cerys

Poison, or rather anything cheap that smells like it.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: wosl on June 02, 2021, 05:27:34 PM
What I know comes mainly from dipping into Basenotes.  If you're after a linear/sandalwood dominant one, perhaps check out one of the threads there, such as: The Quest for THE sandalwood fragrance.

Thanks, I'll defo check that out, appreciate the link.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy