Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:01:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB: The Album

Started by The Masked Unit, August 05, 2010, 05:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This is concerning. How connected does each following track have to be then?

The Masked Unit

Quote from: rudi on August 23, 2010, 08:49:09 PM
In a sense, yes, but also that everyone is in tune with each other. To do that you need to decide what note A is going to be.

This is why I'm really not qualified to participate in this!

The Masked Unit

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 23, 2010, 08:58:05 PM
This is concerning. How connected does each following track have to be then?

It doesn't, it just has to vaguely respect the fact that we're trying to achieve something cohesive. Basically don't purposely make something that completely jars with the last track. From what I know about your music I can't imagine it being a problem.

purlieu

From what I know of his music, I think problems are all we're facing.

El Unicornio, mang

How about if each song contained a sample from the previous one? Or would be too tricky? Or maybe we could do it so that each song segues into another, maybe even some spoken word bits between songs like the Beatles did? Might make it flow better than just song - space - song - space - song.

NoSleep

I don't think there's a problem to go from one kind of music to another, however contrasting. They don't even have to actually connect. It's possible that a crossfade or segue might be the right thing to do, but, likewise, a four second pause might be just the ticket. We won't know until we've started. Tempo and key are the most important things to consider when moving from one track to another; not their style. You might not know it on a technical level, but you can probably take an intuitive jump instead.

El Unicornio, mang

I'm quite a fan of contrasts between songs, also. It's nice to follow up a fast, energetic, loud song with something slow and quiet sometimes or something silly sounding followed up by something a bit somber.

small_world

I reckon hold a draw now... Get everyone in, if somone can't do it right then it passes on to the next person, the person who gave it up goes to the end of the queue.

I don't think we should talk about the style of music as this thing goes along, I'd far rather it be a suprised at the end, than have a constant commentary on here, like, "Oh, I liked the use of horns in your piece, so I threw some yoddelling into mine" (although I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say yoddelling is actively encouraged)

Also, Listen to - King For A Day Fool For A LifeTime by Fait No More, it mixes jazz and heavy metal constantly and there are a few other random styles in there too. Styles can be mixed easily. I really don't think we need to worry about that too much...

Fuck it, if this thing takes a few months we can do another one...over Christmas....

A VW Christmas ALBUM!!!

falafel

The Masked Unit

Yep - draw and if you can't do it go to the end. Very busy today so if anyone could oblige that'd be great.

NoSleep

NoSleep

So the next one up is....

...Johnny Textface

NoSleep

I'll just keep this box of folded-up bits of paper near my desktop and call one when the need arises; don't want people declining just to go to the end of a set list.

OK.. lazyhour needs to send both myself and Johnny Textface a link to an MP3 of his demo, and, when it's complete, I need lazyhour's finished product as a WAV or AIFF, preferably in 24-bit/44.1kHz (16-bit/44.1kHz will do if 24-bit is impossible) sent to me for mastering.

Yes... lets make it standard to record and mix in 44.1kHz (not 48kHz as some do); that way ensuring no sample rate conversions (although that will happen if 44.1 is impossible for an participant). Thus we end up with a finished product that is CD-ready.

Johnny Textface

*gulp*

How long are we saying we can take?

NoSleep

When the track is near enough finished (a good demo) then it's ready to pass on (as an mp3 to myself and the next participant). No major changes should occur after this point but it gives you time to polish it a little further (before submitting the 24-bit WAV/AIFF to me).

NoSleep

I suppose this is a good time to tell anyone to put up any queries about their submissions to the album. Basically I need the best quality format of your final mix that you can muster, then the rest is up to me.

Beagle 2

Ok - Still well up for this. I do sometimes go a few days without visiting though, I'll try and be a bit more regular so I don't miss my turn.

falafel

Are you very good at that sort of thing then? I have never been too sure about my mastering skills so if it's not too excessive I could send individual tracks along with my own version just in case my mixdown is a bit ropey? Do you want us to hold off on post-processing our tracks in any case?

NoSleep

Submit your best shot and I'll see what needs to be done. I can always request some alternative to a bash at a finished mix if I can't work with what you've sent me, but if I can avoid getting into mixing every track I'll be very happy. Hopefully all that will be needed is a little post-production.
Quote from: falafel on August 24, 2010, 12:59:44 PM
Are you very good at that sort of thing then?

I get paid for that sort of thing, anyway.

falafel

small_world

Quote from: NoSleep on August 24, 2010, 10:54:45 AMI need lazyhour's finished product as a WAV or AIFF, preferably in 24-bit/44.1kHz (16-bit/44.1kHz will do if 24-bit....Let's mix in 44.1kHz (not 48kHz as some do)   participant).
Do you buzz like a fridge?

I'm a bit anxious now. I've only recently began using a lap top to record my noises. I'm not quite fluent in all this stuff...
Er, i'm using Ableton and a mic. I may require some supervision.

Also, i'm having a weeks holiday in two weeks time, so as long as i'm not picked third I should be fine...

The Masked Unit

Quote from: small_world on August 24, 2010, 05:37:01 PM

I'm a bit anxious now. I've only recently began using a lap top to record my noises. I'm not quite fluent in all this stuff...

Also, i'm having a weeks holiday in two weeks time, so as long as i'm not picked third I should be fine...

I think there will be a variety of skill levels on display from the likes of me at the bottom of the scale to some very talented bastards at the top, so I wouldn't worry too much (even though I am!). I'm hoping I will make an extra effort as a result and come up with something good.

lazyhour

I've scrapped my first track as it wasn't quite working, and have come up with something completely different. A demo might be ready tonight.

I used a guitar tuner to tune my guitar.

Johnny Textface

Maybe that can be a b-side !

Jaffit

Quote from: small_world on August 24, 2010, 05:37:01 PM

You should be fine mate. When you render a track in ableton it brings up a box which lets you choose all the mentioned file formats/sample rates etc.

Puffin Chunks

I know I'm late to the game, but I'd like to put myself on standby for this if that's at all possible? Totally appreciate if it's not.

In all honesty, I am capable of turning a track round in two weeks (of variable quality), but I find creativity to be a fickle beast, so I reserve the right to pull out if/when my time comes.

Not exactly selling myself am I... but this all sounds very interesting to me.

Like I said: if I'm too late then fair enough. I look forward to hearing the outcome either way.

NoSleep

I'll stick your name in the hat.

rudi

I've spent all day double tracking guitars so I'm rather looking forward to making something completely different next month.

Note to self: Gabba is funny but shit. Gabba is funny but shit...

NoSleep