Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:19:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Writing Reviews

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 14, 2024, 10:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrgeebus

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 14, 2024, 05:04:52 PMI used to do bits and bobs of music writing around 2000-10, before I got completely fed up with contemporary music and packed it in bar a few feature length articles about older acts like the Wild Swans and Comsat Angels.

I do remember the two reviews of mine that copped the most flak was of some Reef compilation that I gave three out of ten and a dreadful Ocean Colour Scene album. Must have been around 2003 or so - got about 20 emails from enraged Reef/OCS fans stating I obviously knew nothing about "proper" music.
Funnily enough, I got some hatred off of the bucket hat wearing fucknuggets who make up the shared fanbases of Stone Roses, Kasabian, and Primal Scream because I suggested the albums Stone Roses, West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum, and Screamadelica were not in fact 10 out of 10 albums, and that they were very not as original as people like to think (and linked to the original source material).

New page jealous no talent CUNT!

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 14, 2024, 05:04:52 PMI used to do bits and bobs of music writing around 2000-10, before I got completely fed up with contemporary music and packed it in bar a few feature length articles about older acts like the Wild Swans and Comsat Angels.

I do remember the two reviews of mine that copped the most flak was of some Reef compilation that I gave three out of ten and a dreadful Ocean Colour Scene album. Must have been around 2003 or so - got about 20 emails from enraged Reef/OCS fans stating I obviously knew nothing about "proper" music.

I'd like to read your piece on the Comsats if it's available online. We go back a long way, even if at least half of them hate my guts nowadays.

dead-ced-dead

Just catching up with this thread. I'm sorry this happened @Small Man Big Horse

It never ceases to amaze me just how thin skinned a lot of people in the entertainment industry are, and bragging about how many Twitter followers you have is Ricky Gervais levels of petty. Fuck Boy George.

popcorn

It was good when James Corden's parents wrote in to Mark Kermode's film review show to complain that he had criticised their son's acting performance in Peter Rabbit

Jockice

Quote from: Icehaven on January 14, 2024, 12:35:12 PMI once wrote a bad review on TripAdvisor of a hotel I hadn't stayed at.

I did the same. One of only two reviews I've ever done on Trip Advisor. It was a bizarre situation where I tried to get a wheelchair-accessible room, was originally told I'd have to leave my chair outside (!), then told there was one but the manager would phone me back to confirm. He didn't so I called him up and he told me that the 'accessible' room had been booked since I originally rang. But funnily enough the next day it was still being advertised as available. From which I assumed he didn't want an actual disabled person staying there. We're too much trouble us lot. Always moaning about little things.

I'd never been on Trip Advisor before then but looking at the other reviews I got off lightly. I don't think there was one positive review on the whole site. We found somewhere else.

The other review I wrote was very complimentary though. A guest house in Somerset, which wasn't perfect for accessibility but the staff were lovely.

I tend to stay in chain places if I have to go somewhere nowadays anyway, because you usually can get accessible rooms. Unlike the last non-chain place I stayed in, at which the 'accessible' room was so inaccessible that I actually couldn't get the wheelchair into it, even after taking it apart, and had to crawl up several steps to get into the room.  Which is great fun when you're drunk for the first time in about a decade.

I didn't write a review for that though because I hadn't booked it and I was there for a funeral and the person who did the booking told me that they had told her it was accessible. When one of your parents dies I presume you've got bigger things on your mind than asking the width of a door. When the other parent died last year I drove there and back on the same day though. That particular town (Taunton if you want to know) is the least disability-friendly place I've ever been in Britain. Apparently there isn't a single taxi in the whole place that can accommodate a wheelchair, even a small one you can take the wheels off and fold the back down on. Hard to believe but that's what I was told.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Jockice on January 15, 2024, 09:14:37 AMI'd like to read your piece on the Comsats if it's available online. We go back a long way, even if at least half of them hate my guts nowadays.
It was on a long-gone website back in 2009 - the owner of the site got fed up dealing with labels/PR bods whining about non-arse kissing reviews and packed it in. The article itself was mainly aimed at those who weren't familiar with the band, and I did get some positive feedback from a few who picked up a few Comsat albums off the back of it.

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 15, 2024, 10:59:47 AMIt was on a long-gone website back in 2009 - the owner of the site got fed up dealing with labels/PR bods whining about non-arse kissing reviews and packed it in. The article itself was mainly aimed at those who weren't familiar with the band, and I did get some positive feedback from a few who picked up a few Comsat albums off the back of it.

Oh well. Very underrated band as I know you know.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 14, 2024, 04:53:54 PMSeriously SMBH, it's horrible to have someone call you a c***

I think it's strange for a 62 year old man to be calling people a cunt but maybe that's Twitter. It looks like Boy George was being defensive of another cast member.

ASFTSN

Imagine someone honestly thinking your number of Twitter followers is indicative of your integrity as a person. Only one person being a cunt in this interaction and it's clearly not you SMBH.

popcorn

Quote from: ASFTSN on January 15, 2024, 01:06:25 PMImagine someone honestly thinking your number of Twitter followers is indicative of your integrity as a person.

Well if you've got any better ways of doing it I'm all ears.

ASFTSN

Quote from: popcorn on January 15, 2024, 01:13:07 PMWell if you've got any better ways of doing it I'm all ears.

Bring back Karma!

Jockice

Quote from: ASFTSN on January 15, 2024, 03:25:09 PMBring back Karma!

Karma? Karma? Karma? Karma? Karma?

Comedian!

tookish

Mate! Don't give that radiator-chaining rapist a single second of your time. He's clearly a sensitive prick & the Celebrity Quote Tweet is the mark of a bully; designed to get his rabid apologist fans to pile on.

I'm so sorry it's impacted on your mental health to such an extent. I really really get it, this sort of thing sends me spiralling all the time, but his pissy little tweet says everything about him, not you.

Big big love ❤️