Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:56:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tags

Started by Barry Admin, January 14, 2024, 11:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldentony

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on January 16, 2024, 05:46:13 AMBut we already have this based on the alert counter, I can send you the script and some wiring diagrams if you like?

get the chode shaped PCBs down the DHL as ASAP as possible

Butchers Blind

Quote from: madhair60 on January 16, 2024, 09:03:07 AMHello, this is madhair60's dad. He is dead.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

Barry Admin

Just to reference this and add to the discussion, I can't believe they've added this kind of reaction shit to text messages now too.

I find phones terribly addictive, and this is just another thing that has me reaching for it all the time.  Now I get essentially two notifications for almost every text, because the other party has to react to what I'm saying, as well as just answering it.

Too much of this shit now.  Everywhere.

Ferris

You can now "react" to emails with emojis in outlook and pings a notification at you. Some cunt at Microsoft sat down and said "yeah we should do this" then some poor team of saps had to implement it.

On one hand, it beats actually replying to it but it's one of those interesting examples of a technological advance making life more burdensome. Back in the day, the cost (time and financial) of writing a letter to announce "it is my birthday" to everyone you know was prohibitive. Bollocks to that, and even if you did people would face a similar barrier to responding ("nah too much effort").

Because it's so low-barrier to send an email, and now you can react to an email with a stupid emoji, life becomes a constant wading through notifications that nobody would ever have bothered to broadcast 30 years ago.

seepage

I've turned off reaction notifications in WhatsApp on my phone, especially as they were delayed 24 hours and already seen in the Windows app

Old Thrashbarg

See for WhatsApp group messages I think reactions are genuinely useful. If you're asking something that needs a confirmation/declination response it does a couple of things. The main one being to not ping everyone else in the group when they likely don't need to be made aware of every response. And it also keeps responses grouped with the relevant message.

The downside being that it also makes it more likely someone will add an unnecessary reaction to a message that wouldn't have been sent if it had to be posted as an actual message. But I think the trade off is worth it.

Does anyone still view CaB on desktop computers/laptops, or is it all mobile phones nowadays?

Mr_Simnock

of course they, I hardly ever bother to go on CaB on my phone

FredNurke

Whisper it, but some of us don't even have smartphones.

Butchers Blind

I get my CaB on the go.

dissolute ocelot

I mostly read CaB on my work PC. It's much more exciting when I'm scrolling past all these weird pictures in a busy office, and my colleagues are speculating on what I'm giggling about.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on January 19, 2024, 02:49:28 PMSee for WhatsApp group messages I think reactions are genuinely useful. If you're asking something that needs a confirmation/declination response it does a couple of things. The main one being to not ping everyone else in the group when they likely don't need to be made aware of every response. And it also keeps responses grouped with the relevant message.

The downside being that it also makes it more likely someone will add an unnecessary reaction to a message that wouldn't have been sent if it had to be posted as an actual message. But I think the trade off is worth it.

With Slack at work, some people will respond to a question with a typed answer, and others with an emoticon reaction. The notifications for both things are different (as are the frequencies of them - a noisy alert for every reaction throughout the day would be deafening), so I have to bookmark the questions I've asked so I can come back and find the different forms of response.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 19, 2024, 09:16:43 PMWith Slack at work, some people will respond to a question with a typed answer, and others with an emoticon reaction. The notifications for both things are different (as are the frequencies of them - a noisy alert for every reaction throughout the day would be deafening), so I have to bookmark the questions I've asked so I can come back and find the different forms of response.

We do similar with Slack. We've got a standard set of reactions to let whoever has written a message know that it's been bookmarked to look at later, is currently being looked at, has been actioned, etc. Which also lets anyone else who might deal with a request, for example, know whether someone has already picked it up when they come to look at it, without spamming the rest of the team with notifications.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on January 19, 2024, 09:34:32 PMWe do similar with Slack. We've got a standard set of reactions to let whoever has written a message know that it's been bookmarked to look at later, is currently being looked at, has been actioned, etc. Which also lets anyone else who might deal with a request, for example, know whether someone has already picked it up when they come to look at it, without spamming the rest of the team with notifications.

This is bookmarking in the sense of me saving it for myself, because while threaded replies in response are hard to miss, reactions get lost by being quieter and more frequent. So I wish people would reply with a "yes" rather than a 👍 when things require agreement rather than anything more involved. That's just my preference really, I can see why people do what they do.

We do the same with eye emoticons to signal someone is looking at an issue, then a tick when it's sorted.