Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:38:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Online recipe decrapifier

Started by Gurke and Hare, January 16, 2024, 10:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

This site is great: https://cooked.wiki/

If you've got a recipe page with all that crap story stuff you get on recipe pages, you can just put "cooked.wiki/" before the url and it gets rid of it and just gives you a page with the recipe.

Try it on https://travelerslunchbox.com/2005/09/02/the-well-salted-tart/ then go and make a delicious pudding without having to wade through a load of crap.

Oosp

This is superb and I will still never make anything with more than 3 ingredients

famethrowa

That is brilliant. You try making Brazilian Cheese Bread without having to wade through family history of 400 years of South America first! Many thanks

Pink Gregory

finally I can avoid being patronised about how to pronounce shakshuka

Blue Jam

Apparently online recipes come with all that extra bumpf because it isn't actually possible to copyright a recipe but it is possible to copyright an article containing one. That and the writers need hits on their ads. I can't blame them really but I do always appreciate the ones who include a handy "jump to recipe" button.

Great tool, thanks G&H. Now I just need one that converts all the stupid olden days measurements American food bloggers still insist on using.

Kankurette

This is going to be handy, I use the odd online recipe and it is a PITA having to scroll past people talking about how this cake was their nan's favourite recipe or whatever.

Blue, I hate using Yank sites for this reason, with their cups and sticks. Some of them at least have a metric bit as well.

boki

Quote from: Oosp on January 16, 2024, 11:01:22 PMThis is superb and I will still never make anything with more than 3 ingredients
Bread, cheese, ketchup, bosh.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 17, 2024, 11:33:51 AMApparently online recipes come with all that extra bumpf because it isn't actually possible to copyright a recipe but it is possible to copyright an article containing one. That and the writers need hits on their ads. I can't blame them really but I do always appreciate the ones who include a handy "jump to recipe" button.

Great tool, thanks G&H. Now I just need one that converts all the stupid olden days measurements American food bloggers still insist on using.

A cup of cilantro
A stick of budder

Gurke and Hare

If someone could create a similar thing for CaB to get rid of the complaints about Americans using American terminology that would also be great.

Kankurette

Norton Canes

I've tried it on Mollusk's latest IDLES post, seems to have worked

MojoJojo

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 17, 2024, 11:33:51 AMApparently online recipes come with all that extra bumpf because it isn't actually possible to copyright a recipe but it is possible to copyright an article containing one. That and the writers need hits on their ads. I can't blame them really but I do always appreciate the ones who include a handy "jump to recipe" button.

It's search optimisation thing. There was a time when websites would just automatically scrape recipes off the internet, and then present them all as "content". Google decided they didn't like this so pushes copy-pasta way down the rankings. The long-boring stories about someone's dad giving them beans on toast are recognised as "original content" so google doesn't penalise the pages. It's just a shame it can't distinguish shite content.

There's a browser extension that decrapifies the recipes too.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 17, 2024, 12:07:02 PMIf someone could create a similar thing for CaB to get rid of the complaints about Americans using American terminology that would also be great.

mate

Dex Sawash

tbc, that is what the browser extension would be called

poodlefaker

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 17, 2024, 11:33:51 AMApparently online recipes come with all that extra bumpf because it isn't actually possible to copyright a recipe but it is possible to copyright an article containing one.

I'm pretty sure you can copyright recipes; also instructions, knitting patterns etc.

Fishfinger

Quote from: boki on January 17, 2024, 11:49:26 AM
Quote from: Oosp on January 16, 2024, 11:01:22 PMThis is superb and I will still never make anything with more than 3 ingredients
Bread, cheese, ketchup, bosh.

That's four.

Blue Jam

Quote from: poodlefaker on January 17, 2024, 02:03:15 PMI'm pretty sure you can copyright recipes; also instructions, knitting patterns etc.

You can copyright an article containing a recipe if it includes photos, original writing etc but you actually can't copyright a list of ingredients and amounts (methods are bit of a grey area). If you're a food blogger you could post up a Jamie Oliver recipe as long as you strip out all his descriptive writing and don't reuse the photos and you'd be fine:

https://www.london-law.co.uk/ive-developed-a-sensational-new-recipe-can-i-copyright-it/

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 17, 2024, 12:07:02 PMIf someone could create a similar thing for CaB to get rid of the complaints about Americans using American terminology that would also be great.

he likes american things

Senior Baiano

Yeah alright Mr, uh

<tries to think of a good zing>

Mr America... Lover. Yeah you love america. You want to marry it,

gabrielconroy

I use the Recipe Filter add-on for Firefox (think it's on Chrome as well if you must) that does the same thing automatically. Oh how I enjoy it so.

Combined with Everything Metric to convert weird American units like a cup of beans or whatever, and you will be laughing manically more or less all day long.

Russ L

As someone funnier than me said: "Onions don't come in cups. They come in onions".

Russ L

I'll bet a pound that someone who posts on here also comes in onions.

Butchers Blind

Good stuff. Get that banana loaf recipie without reading about the woman's cancer recovery.

shoulders

He knows his onions, in the biblical sense

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 17, 2024, 04:23:29 PMGood stuff. Get that banana loaf recipie without reading about the woman's cancer recovery.

Yeah I wish she'd just shut the fuck up about that, nobody cares and they're hungry.

jonbob

Quote from: Russ L on January 17, 2024, 03:47:13 PMI'll bet a pound that someone who posts on here also comes in onions.
. I almost came in my onions, the greatest thing since the YouTube comment snob

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Russ L on January 17, 2024, 03:47:13 PMI'll bet a pound that someone who posts on here also comes in onions.

Molesting shallots is more CaBberesque.

Dex Sawash

[move][/move]

madhair60

i simply do not use crap in any of my cooking