Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:19:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Steak

Started by king_tubby, January 19, 2024, 08:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

Evening.

At the end of last year I watched a video by some chef on how to cook steak, and it has transformed how I cook steak.

It went like this:

Season your fillet steak with salt and pepper, then rub olive oil on to it.
Get the pan right hot.
Sear the steak for two-three (depending on thickness) minutes both sides.
Turn the gas down.
Chuck some butter in the pan, wait for it to melt.
Chuck a sprig of rosemary and a couple of cloves of garlic in to the melted butter.
Baste the steak with the melted butter for a couple of minutes on each side.
Take off the heat and let stand for five minutes.
Eat.

How do you cook your steak?

Zero Gravitas

Oooh look I'm cooking for myself! Get a fucking grip!

Beef is the least sustainable meat, you're doing the worst violence possible to the world.

Can't you feel it? Can't you feel the wrongness suffused in the zeitgeist around beef and especially around steak?

You can feel it, but you're a monster.

Wow this is fun, sorry @bgmnts !

shoulders

king_tubby

I have never denied being a monster, @Zero Gravitas

hamfist

Tartare. Well, I did last weekend in Austria.

Butchers Blind

Beefburgers not good enough for some people.

madhair60

oil in pan
heat pan
cunt meat into pan
every type of seasoning i have just piledriven onto it
turn it every five seconds until done
cunt it into my maw
painfully shit it out
repeat

king_tubby

Are you not worried that hot steak fat might splatter out of the pan and on to your toilet areas, @TrenterPercenter?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: king_tubby on January 19, 2024, 09:08:48 PMAre you not worried that hot steak fat might splatter out of the pan and on to your toilet areas, @TrenterPercenter?

Worried? That is why I do it. After my failed phimosis surgery I find the searing pain of molten tallow on my prepuce the only way I can achieve climax nowadays.

Ferris

I am a total convert to the reverse sear and if you're not doing this, you're missing out.

You bake it in the oven for 25 mins at like 120c like a madman and pull it out the oven going oh fuck oh fuck this is ruined what have I fucking done, then sear the absolute bollocks out of it at the last minute and it comes out perfect every time.

Ok cheers.

TrenterPercenter

It is meant to be a good method but it just seems to add needless time to the cooking.  I like my steak rare, so 2 minutes on each side in a searing hot pan + rest and you are done.

Bigger steaks it might be worth it I suppose.

Cuellar

Sebastian Cobb

The only time I've ever cooked a steak was when I was smoking outside a pub and bought it off a junkie shoplifter.

The bar staff happily shoved it in the fridge and I fried it with chips I think. It was nice.

I can cook but it's just never something I reach for.

Cheers.

Ferris

Right I'm getting on a plane (half cut) now so when it inevitably crashes, how to cook some red meat (which I don't eat these days for health reasons) will be my last post.

Ok cheers.

Noodle Lizard

I've more or less been priced out of steak now, but it's one of my favourite things. It doesn't get better than a well-marbled Ribeye, New York or even a decent-looking top sirloin. Filet Mignon is overrated and a pain in the arse to cook right.

I use the oven too. Get the pan right hot, sear it on both sides until it looks nice, then throw the whole pan into the oven at 200C. Timing depends on how you like it, but usually about 8 minutes will do for a medium-rare average-thickness steak. Let it rest a bit, but don't let it get cold.

Cast iron pans are a game-changer for this sort of thing. Don't be using non-stick, and don't skimp on oils/fats either. You're not eating this to watch your calories.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 19, 2024, 09:48:36 PMTiming depends on how you like it, but usually about 8 minutes will do for a medium-rare average-thickness steak. Let it rest a bit, but don't let it get cold.

...seems very suspicious for a standard British steak...

idunnosomename

Erm do you like lions...

Erm do you like lions as well then?

Do you like steaks and chips with lions with it?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on January 19, 2024, 09:50:42 PM...seems very suspicious for a standard British steak...

Ah, I'm in the US, maybe they're a bit fatter here. Any thinner than an inch and I'd do it entirely on the stovetop. Although even with the big ones, sometimes you get a "feel" for it while it's searing and know if it'll need either more or less time in the oven.

Zero Gravitas

It is a bit of a weird one, what you'd think of as a steak is an insanely extravagant lump of cow flesh in most UK butchers and I'd expect pretty hard to find in most supermarkets.

Genuinely a little weird that people would eat that quantity of meat, but clearly there are mores at work.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 19, 2024, 09:23:27 PMThe only time I've ever cooked a steak was when I was smoking outside a pub and bought it off a junkie shoplifter.

The world's top chefs insist on this method.

Sebastian Cobb

It's the tracksuit crotch seasoning. Granules don't come close.

king_tubby

Remember old Salty Bae? Sprinkling salt off of his hairy arms on to your plate, and invading the World Cup Final.

This is what we aspire to.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: king_tubby on January 19, 2024, 10:24:52 PMRemember old Salty Bae? Sprinkling salt off of his hairy arms on to your plate, and invading the World Cup Final.

This is what we aspire to.

Read on his Wikipedia that he used his salt beef elbow money to build a school in his home village

Always had an image of him bouncing a handful of clout nails off his elbow onto a pile of wood bricks and slates and wandering off

shoulders

The school is how to be a clinically efficient paedophile

madhair60

sausages are nicer than steak imo

GMTV

Tormented by those youtube short clips of someone deep frying a bit of beef in pan with a clove or two of garlic and some rosemary floating around somewhere in the ether.

Then they run a knife over to determine how burnt it is as this is apparently some measure of how good it is.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I've started using a meat thermometer on mine because I got tired of it either coming out raw in the middle or well done. Sear it for a minute each side, pop the thermometer in the middle and wait until it gets to about 50°C, take it out, rest it for 5-10 minutes and you should have a medium rare steak.

I've heard a sous vide machine is practically idiot proof for steak too. You sear it on either side, pop it in one of those bags with herbs and garlic, set the desired temp and then wait.

checkoutgirl

Pan fry on very hot pan for about 3.5 to 4 minutes on each side. Leave to rest for 5 minutes. Season. Serve with homemade chips and either pepper sauce or a fried egg. If you go for fried egg you then have ketchup on the chips but it's your choice.

As long as you rest for 5 minutes and the steak is decent quality and you don't overcook you're laughing.