Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:22:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

James Acaster - Hecklers Welcome tour

Started by Tiggles, March 24, 2023, 11:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

I saw a WiP of it last May, and counter-productively he had a very well-behaved crowd, so I couldn't really gauge how the show might be shaped by hecklers. There were I think two people who shouted out, and they were friendly, so only really intervened once before quieting down. Bit of good-natured response from Acaster and that was it. Fucking great show, though.

I'm sure when I saw it it was only an hour, so I'm looking forward to see how he's developed it further. Might make sense if the first half hour is now a hecklers half hour.

frajer

Quote from: Snrub on March 28, 2023, 02:35:17 PMInteresting and funny, but appreciate that might not be worth the gamble.

But enough about Off Menu pod!

MigraineBoy

The Little Wander promo page for the tour says:

Duration: 90 minutes, no interval

This is a relaxed performance. Bars will be open throughout the show and people are able to come and go as needed.

BritishHobo

I do feel bad for Acaster on this subject. I fucking despise heckling as an audience member, it must be such a ballache to be a comedian who just wants to do their rehearsed hour and not deal with that shit. I imagine the advice generally is that it's "a part of the job" and so you need to have some good stuff tucked away to deal with the inevitable. But not everybody wants to be Jimmy Carr, not everyone wants to have to improvise on stage, with the threat of their show being derailed if A: their improv isn't good enough or B: the heckler is obnoxious enough to carry on shouting anyway.

Twilkes

This is as good an explanation of it as any:

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

As a comedy viewer, I also hate hecklers. It's no different than talking in the cinema.

Quote from: Vroomo on March 28, 2023, 05:38:07 PMThe Little Wander promo page for the tour says:

Duration: 90 minutes, no interval

This is a relaxed performance. Bars will be open throughout the show and people are able to come and go as needed.

For what it's worth the email that went out to his mailing list today only flags up Salford, Bristol, Leeds and Belfast as being relaxed performances.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: waste of chops on March 30, 2023, 04:33:06 PMFor what it's worth the email that went out to his mailing list today only flags up Salford, Bristol, Leeds and Belfast as being relaxed performances.

Yeah, I saw that too.  I was really posting it for the runtime because the 6th post in this thread had it as "Duration: 30 mins, interval, 90 minutes

DrGreggles

Bloody arse balls! The tickets go on sale and the website is immediately jammed up.

Tiggles

Managed to snaffle tickets for Salford - Lowry website seemed to wobble but it managed to stay on its feet.

jimboslice

Leeds Playhouse website was dogshit too. Managed to get through to checkout after watching a circle spin for 15 minutes though.

I got to the seat selection bit once, only for it to boot me back to the first page again.

Wezzo

Joined the queue at dead on 10 and Bristol sold out entirely before I could get anything. Was able to get decent stalls in Cardiff despite not joining that queue until after I'd given up on Bristol, guess it helps that that's a venue 2.5x the size.

After an hour and three quarters, I finally managed to get past the booking page, only for it to tell me the tickets had automatically been removed from my order.

Cunts. Absolute useless cunts.

Icehaven

Quote from: Twilkes on March 30, 2023, 01:50:26 PMThis is as good an explanation of it as any:

Herring makes a good point when he says once a comedian gets past a certain level of success their audience changes into people who aren't necessarily there because they're fans so they don't really care if they disrupt the show or piss the performer off. Like in another thread when someone posted about a couple they know that went to see U2 even though they weren't particularly into them, they just went because "it's what you do". Ironically the more successful you are the smaller the percentage of your audience that's really invested in you becomes.

I need to say something mean about Herring now to counter saying he made a good point: He really needs to update his Youtube profile picture, he hasn't looked like that in about 20 years.

Just short of three bloody hours it took, but I finally managed to book tickets. If my sister says she can't go now, I think I'll have a meltdown.

Oosp

Got Dublin seats. But Ticketbastard decided to demand that I change my password before proceeding. Happened to others I know in the past few days. Have they had a hack that they're refusing to disclose? The absolute bollixes

Twilkes

At least you'll all have something to heckle about.

Blinder Data

Thankfully, he appears to be less popular in Scotland. Plenty of tickets for the Glasgow show and purchased in no time.

beanheadmcginty

Does anybody else think it's weird that he hosts an extremely popular podcast and there's also an entirely unrelated (as far as I'm aware) podcast platform called Acast?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 31, 2023, 08:57:41 PMDoes anybody else think it's weird that he hosts an extremely popular podcast and there's also an entirely unrelated (as far as I'm aware) podcast platform called Acast?

I assumed it was his

Its his right?

beanheadmcginty

PlanktonSideburns

WestHill

He's playing the Roundhouse on 19-22 Aug but it's already sold out through mailing list early bird tickets:

https://tickets.roundhouse.org.uk/production/44892?sourceNumber=60613

Shit!

MigraineBoy

A bunch more dates went on sale this morning at 10am.  I just got 2 front row for Liverpool Empire.

Hat FM

got tickets to see him in Kennington on 17th July in a pub. can't wait!

cakeinmilk

Quote from: Hat FM on June 16, 2023, 02:53:55 PMgot tickets to see him in Kennington on 17th July in a pub. can't wait!

Me too!