Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:24:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Paul Putner's finest moments

Started by Old Thrashbarg, August 12, 2023, 01:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 27, 2023, 07:40:20 PMyes in the 00s haha laurel and hardy are bumming was considered a joke.

^ makes Little and Large look like Victor Borge

bet whitehouse would be a cracking harold lloyd

The Bumlord

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 27, 2023, 03:09:28 PMI've watched this 50 times since it was posted. I'm obsessed with the details in the performances.

1) Putner is the best Hardy I've ever seen. He's impeccable, the read of "take off your hat" catches something halting about Babe's voice that every impressionist seems to miss.

The little shove he does with fingers outstretched is perfect.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Mobbd on September 27, 2023, 06:10:06 PMWhat a great guy. How long was the call?

Just over half an hour. Something like that. Such an incredibly nice, humble bloke. I think my Belgrade based mate had also asked Paul to call CAB's own LazyHour, so it was a doubly nice thing for him to do.

Had no idea until reading this thread that he was in an actual Star Wars. Even if his scene was cut, that's pretty damn cool.

Mobbd

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 27, 2023, 07:40:20 PMwho plays the copper in that Laurel and Hardy bit?

I was wondering that too. Thought it was Kevin Eldon at first but I don't think it is. Whoever it is is shockingly good (or at least shockingly well cast). Really looks like someone from the Silent age, especially in that first reaction shot.

Anyone know?

Mr Banlon

SteveDave

Quote from: madhair60 on September 27, 2023, 07:01:11 PMI want to meet Paul Putner

he follows me on twitter... maybe he reads Merry Hell

I spoke to him after the Chart Music live show the other week. For a long time. Possibly too long.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 27, 2023, 03:09:28 PMI've watched this 50 times since it was posted. I'm obsessed with the details in the performances.

An absolutely brilliant post. This is what CaB is for.

madhair60

Quote from: SteveDave on September 28, 2023, 10:00:45 AMI spoke to him after the Chart Music live show the other week. For a long time. Possibly too long.

yes, i was going to go to that and then some absolute bullfuck happened and i had to get off the bus and leave to deal with it. i'm very sad that i missed it, but then again it might have been much worse had i been there fatting all over the place.

shiftwork2

Paul bought me a pint at Chart Music last year so he's alright by me.  I absolutely blanked him this year in case he wanted one in return.

notjosh

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 27, 2023, 03:09:28 PMIn the Butterfield thread the inspiration for the character video blows me away because you can see how Peter derived so many concrete details from the ad. he used every part of the buffalo. in technical skill its on a different level to most comedy  - he hasn't just found a funny voice and invented a story to go with it. Butterfield is more than a character invented to match a funny voice - he's an elaboration of all the observations one can make about why that original ad is so memorable.

I feel the same way about this sketch (featuring bonus Putner):

Such a brilliant distillation of one extremely specific version of Michael Caine. I don't think many people would be able to watch the (genuinely interesting) original special and come out with a character moment as beautifully observed as Caine referring to the camera as "wosisname". The unaffected humility with which he addresses the student, the understated way the rest of them over-laugh at his jokes, it all captures the dynamic perfectly. And unlike that Laurel & Hardy sketch, the ideas in it - absurd extrapolations of the real life Caine's focus on small technical details - all work perfectly.

poodlefaker

PS's stuff is all brilliant observed and technically perfect but rarely makes me laugh. It lacks comic energy.

Glebe

kalowski

I keep going back to watch Frankie Tan. That whole set is marvelous "I said to the air hostess an- SHE SAID TO ME."

Mobbd

The Putt comes across as a very pleasant bloke in this here interview.

neveragain

[Excellent analysis]
big fun. love it

Have you seen the Shaun Micallef Laurel and Hardy sketch? Think you'd enjoy that.
https://youtu.be/wvlbUGawYjQ?si=1FmRHLJvEvUBicot - go from 15:41

Matthew Dawkins Jub Jub

I'm very fond of Putner's look of fear and helplessness in this Serafinowicz sketch:

non capisco

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Twilkes on August 12, 2023, 02:25:03 PMI almost bought tickets for this at the Fringe in 2010, did anyone see it?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/fringe/2010/inglorious_stereo/

Not at the Fringe, but twice in London, and it really was something rather special. I still refer to the Beatles as Beat Les.

scarecrow

Quote from: Lfbarfe on January 25, 2024, 03:01:49 AMNot at the Fringe, but twice in London, and it really was something rather special. I still refer to the Beatles as Beat Les.
I saw it at the Fringe and it really was brilliant. Some friends and I had watched him do Earl Stevens maybe the year before at the Silver Stewbilee, and we agreed without exaggeration that it was the funniest turn we'd ever seen. I think said friends were put off by the prospect of live comedy pitched at dad rock music nerds - and they probably wouldn't have enjoyed things like the Elvis Costello satnav as much as I did - so I went alone. Their loss as the extended Frankie Tan bit at the end was up there with Earl Stevens. It's maddening that he has rations out these two characters so infrequently.

RE: Earl Stevens dividing the room at the Stewbilee, I think that was because it was advertised as having special guest comics - which I think turned out to be Eldon doing the poet character, Bridget Christie doing the Ant stand up and maybe Munnery doing Alan Parker (Richard Herring featured in a planned stage invasion too), all introduced as the characters - and the audience taking this at face value to begin with. I can't remember if Earl Stevens was on before or after Eldon's character, but I think people were confused by Putner's act after Stew's glowing and apparently sincere introduction about him being one of the finest American stand-ups etc.

Mobbd

Quote from: scarecrow on January 25, 2024, 02:26:51 PMRE: Earl Stevens dividing the room at the Stewbilee, I think that was because it was advertised as having special guest comics - which I think turned out to be Eldon doing the poet character, Bridget Christie doing the Ant stand up and maybe Munnery doing Alan Parker (Richard Herring featured in a planned stage invasion too), all introduced as the characters - and the audience taking this at face value to begin with. I can't remember if Earl Stevens was on before or after Eldon's character, but I think people were confused by Putner's act after Stew's glowing and apparently sincere introduction about him being one of the finest American stand-ups etc.

Munnery definitely did Alan Parker.

The night ended with music from Franz Ferdinand, which was a bit odd.

I wonder if Putner was an influence on Stew's Baconface?

Grassygnome

That YT video of PP's Clive Pounds character omits the ending - which is hilarious.
PP was one of those comedy performers I recall from other people's shows in the 90s and it's a shame he wasn't allowed to have his own vehicle a la Kevin Eldon.

I thought his approach was to bridge the old style comedy with the new and it worked.

His Curious Orange was truly Davros in a juicy form.

madhair60

whip-smart writing

excuse me... is the writing whip-smart? do you have anything whip-smart