Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,330
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:41:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mr & Mrs Smith (TV Show) Donald Glover/Maya Erskine

Started by Better Midlands, January 13, 2024, 04:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteMr. & Mrs. Smith is an upcoming American spy comedy television series created by Francesca Sloane and Donald Glover, based on the 2005 film that is set to premiere on February 2, 2024. It stars Glover and Maya Erskine.

Could be good, I like Glover & Maya Erskine was brilliant in PEN15. Guest stars include Sharon Horgan, Alexander Skarsgård, Paul Dano, John Turturro, Michaela Coel, Parker Posey & Ron Perlman.

Jack Shaftoe

This is the one that was originally developed by Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, then she left over 'creative differences'. I really want to know what those were.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on January 13, 2024, 06:35:19 PMThis is the one that was originally developed by Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, then she left over 'creative differences'. I really want to know what those were.

Glover probably suggested trying to write something good

Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on January 13, 2024, 06:35:19 PMThis is the one that was originally developed by Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridge, then she left over 'creative differences'. I really want to know what those were.

Mrs Smith just had to have been a boarder at Benenden *stare at camera*

g0m

she didn't want to end up marrying him

Mister Six

Wasn't that interested until I read that Glover had a hand in actually creating the show. I like him enough as a performer, but Atlanta means I'll check out anything he's actually created (or co-created). I doubt any of the weird energy of that show will turn up here but I live in hope.

The title is cheeky-as-fuck IP laundering though, given that the film's premise is nothing like this one.

13 schoolyards

Hiring them both seemed like a crazy idea from the start. "Let's get in a creative known for running their own projects with a strong personal vision... and then let's get another one." I mean, both of them have worked with other people, but it's been on projects where they've been hired hands: this was supposedly going to be both of them working together as equals, despite no sign that either of them have any interest in working with anyone else as equals.

I'm guessing the creative differences were that one of them came in first day and said "reckon I'll sit down here" and the other one went "oh fuck this" and walked out.

Urinal Cake

Glover thought her being a sex robot was a bit too far fetched.

Oosp

Watched the fillum recently for the first time and I gotta say I had a grand ould time. Good clean fun. But what if Darius and Hot Priest shadowy cabal etc

13 schoolyards

Every review I've read has said that a): it's great! Everyone should watch this show about a fake couple that gradually becomes a real couple while doing cool spy shit, and b): the two leads have zero chemistry together.

Kind of feel like that might be a problem

Tiggles

I found the first episode very enjoyable and loved the characteristically wonderful direction from Hiro Murai. Will defo keep watching.

This topic should be over in Picture Box, though, as it's proper dramedy.

Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead

Worth a binge but I can see why PWB went from this, and also why she was hired in the first place.

The tone is very reminiscent of Killing Eve, the humanity of assassins, but the one thing for me that elevates it is Donald Glover's wardrobe. Every garment a banger. Plus, I liked the chemistry between the leads, and the special guest stars.

If it ended on this, it'd be fine. Season 2 could quite easily see a hunt for
Spoiler alert
_Hi_Hi_
[close]

Maya Erskine and Glover chemistry is what really drives this and I think with Phoebe this would've leaned a bit too much into comedy. The kind of mix of still being overly comedic without letting the real thriller-side slip away. The ending is done very well also and like noted above Glover's wardrobe is amazing in this and does a good point as making him more 'frivolous and emotional' then Erskine's calculating Jane. Great use of guest stars;
Spoiler alert
Ron Perlman literally being dragged by them through a endless shoot-out in tiny scenic Italian towns was extremely funny
[close]
and it is shot extremely well in spots.

Hope this get's a second season but the reviews are extremely positive.

I wasn't sure if I was into it to start with, but the more it progressed the more I was drawn in.

Overall a solid show and a second season could really nail the concept.