Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:17:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Man About The House or George & Mildred?

Started by Lapsedcat, January 25, 2024, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grassygnome

Robin's unrequited desires for his flatmates lost steam pretty quickly but the focus on George and Mildred's dead marriage had more comic potential in the spin-off and the chemistry between the actors was there. Neither were great sit-coms in sit-com history but the only competition for the latter was Terry and June. That was just dire.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 26, 2024, 04:40:05 PMRobin Tripp, of course, is a Southampton fan. I don't know why but that seems quintessentially 1970s to me.

Presumably chosen by O'Sullivan as he is a Saints fan.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 26, 2024, 04:40:05 PMRobin Tripp, of course, is a Southampton fan. I don't know why but that seems quintessentially 1970s to me.

That explains why our Prime Minister (at the time of writing) professes to be a Southampton fan. He's deffo recreating the 1970's vibe.

wrec

Quote from: Lapsedcat on January 26, 2024, 12:39:23 PMDavid Kelly of course, whose riding-a-motorcycle-nude scene in Waking Ned made my mother-in-law exclaim at the time, "I've seen fatter legs hanging out of a nest!"

Magnificent. Kelly also the "look out Fawlty, he's Irish" builder in the popular hotel sitcom.

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on January 26, 2024, 09:13:18 PMIf we are talking theme tunes then it's clearly. . . .

Nest

House

G & M

Turns out I only know the Robin's Nest theme from the Go-kart Mozart cover. I like the proto-303 baseline on G&M.

Brundle-Fly

Anna Karen? Tessa Wyatt? Nah, for teenage me, it was always about Shelia Fearn and Yootha Joyce.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 27, 2024, 09:09:38 AMAnna Karen? Tessa Wyatt? Nah, for teenage me, it was always about Shelia Fearn and Yootha Joyce.

I bet it was as you dirty old Sapphic bollocks you.

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 27, 2024, 09:09:38 AMIt was always about Shelia Fearn and Yootha Joyce.

You are Morrissey and I claim my five pounds.

poodlefaker

Yootha should've got her own show, called Yootha Today!

One of my earliest memories is playing with a knock off Scalextric christmas present on the living room floor whilst one of the G&M christmas episodes was playing, looking it up there was 3 christmas episodes and the film was first shown on christmas day too.

An ex had a thing for Richard O'Sullivan which she would mention into the 90's (had to be Dick Turpin Richard O'Sullivan though) - she would only have been 8/9 when it first aired.

Gurke and Hare

Jim_MacLaine

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 27, 2024, 05:28:52 PMAn ex had a thing for Richard O'Sullivan which she would mention into the 90's (had to be Dick Turpin Richard O'Sullivan though) - she would only have been 8/9 when it first aired.

Primary school me had a bit of a crush on Paula Wilcox.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: poodlefaker on January 27, 2024, 04:23:56 PMYootha should've got her own show, called Yootha Today!

With a religious section discussing God's miracles misguidedly entitled Yootha Nasia.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on January 27, 2024, 05:41:24 PMPrimary school me had a bit of a crush on Paula Wilcox.

I think you can find this pic in the dictionary as the definition for'smouldering'.

Glebe

Quote from: Lapsedcat on January 26, 2024, 12:39:23 PMDavid Kelly of course

I never watched Robin's Nest, but besides that and O'Reilly in FT he also of course starred in RTE's Strumpet City and played Grampa Joe in Tim Burton's version of Wonka.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 26, 2024, 01:49:59 PMIt's heartening to see after all these years George Roper finally buried the hatchet with his neighbour, Jeffrey Fourmile and young son, Tristan.

Wow! That's a lovely photo. Pity Sheila Fearn wasn't there too.

I never watched Man About the House but I remember watching GaM as a kid (there was one where George gets stuck in a sleeping bag that made me very anxious) and occasionally watch the ITV reruns. Funny to hear Reginald Marsh (boss to both Tom Good and Terry Medford!) doing a working class accent for once as Mildred's brother-in-law Humphrey Pumphrey!

Yootha Joyce seemed like a great bunch of lasses actually.

Paula Wilcox looks like she's had her head 'shopped on in that pic. She's appeared in OFaH spin-offs The Green Green Grass* and Rock & Chips and more recently of course Upstart Crow.

*In which June Whitfield also turned up as Marlene's Mum (who previously appeared in OFaH episode 'He Ain't Heavy, He's My Uncle' played by another actress). Wonder if Ab Fab's Eddie knows she is half-sister to Boycie's wife! ;)