Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,330
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:41:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Matinee arrived yet, Fawlty?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 02, 2024, 08:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

A stage show based on Fawlty Towers is coming to the West End in London later this year. It's been adapted by John Cleese.

The show will be directed by Caroline Jay Ranger, who also directed Only Fools and Horses: The Musical and Monty Python Live.

DrGreggles

It's going to have songs in, isn't it.

TheMonk

No source? This sounds like the Australian production from a few years back which consisted of a couple of episodes taped together. It disappeared pretty quickly. It felt like an attempt to quell the dinner restaurant shows making all the money. But at least they had food and mostly original material.

Fambo Number Mive

Sorry, I forgot to add the link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68171380

Ironically, it is the sort.of thing Basil Fawlty would do if posting on a forum.

neveragain

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 02, 2024, 08:17:22 AMIt's going to have songs in, isn't it.

Nah. If it was Eric Idle adapting it...

DrGreggles

Quote from: TheMonk on February 02, 2024, 08:20:30 AMNo source? This sounds like the Australian production from a few years back which consisted of a couple of episodes taped together. It disappeared pretty quickly. It felt like an attempt to quell the dinner restaurant shows making all the money. But at least they had food and mostly original material.

The tablecloths

Tony Yeboah

This might actually be alright. But it is still a mistake.

beanheadmcginty

Should cast Barrymore in the Fawlty role

dissolute ocelot

QuoteThe play has been adapted by writer and creator John Cleese using material from three episodes of the BBC series - The Hotel Inspectors, The Germans and Communication Problems.

It was staged in Sydney in 2016 and widely reviewed then. The Guardian didn't like it but most critics reckoned it was well done despite being completely pointless. SMH gave it 3.5/5, praising its eerily perfect recreation of the TV show set and cast.

So basically a cash in, but not a bad one.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 02, 2024, 10:15:19 AMShould cast Barrymore in the Fawlty role

I think she'd make a better Polly (American).

TheMonk

Yes it's the same show that was performed in Australia.

"I've adapted three of my favourite episodes for the stage and written one huge finale, which will bring together the endings of all three episodes."
The Hotel Inspector', 'The Germans'  and 'Communication Problems'.
https://beyondthejoke.co.uk/content/14391/fawlty-towers-london?

Here's a few reviews of that run.
https://amp.theguardian.com/stage/2016/aug/21/fawlty-towers-live-review-fun-but-pointless-adaptation-screen-to-stage

https://citynews.com.au/2016/review-best-british-australian-needed-fawlty-towers-live/

https://amp.smh.com.au/entertainment/fawlty-towers-live-review-stage-farce-to-the-bone-20160819-gqwvpx.html

TheMonk

Wow that post that went up while I was writing mine makes mine a right waste of time.

George White

Paul Nicholas is playing the Major.
Fawlty like it used to be. We got Fawlty, we got Fawlty, we got Fawlty!

Didn't recognise him without his wig. 
Reminded of my mam always giving out whenever he appeared on something and moaning about how old he looked, and then realising that he was about 12 years older than her, and was already in his thirties during his teen idol days, and was already 40-ish when doing Just Good Friends.

https://variety.com/2024/theater/global/john-cleese-fawlty-towers-london-west-end-1235895034/
Also noticed Dale 'Rainbow Days' Superville and John 'T-Shirt' Hasler.

Fambo Number Mive

I wonder who this is for. Are there many Fawlty Towers fans who want to see a stage show using material from three of the episodes? Or is it for people who saw half an episode once and fancy a night out?

They should really make it some kind of a dining experience, those seem to be very popular.

Sign outside reads:

Manatee raved yeti wiltiy?

idunnosomename

Basically a year since Fawlty Towers but it's in the Caribbean kicked off the Fawltyposting epidemic

Video Game Fan 2000

these eggs look like [spotlight falls on obnoxious stage school brat who deserves to die in a paint can depot guff explosion] you maaade them

poodlefaker

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on February 02, 2024, 11:11:23 AMI wonder who this is for. Are there many Fawlty Towers fans who want to see a stage show using material from three of the episodes? Or is it for people who saw half an episode once and fancy a night out?

Old people. Pensioners on coach trips. People who liked The Play That Goes Wrong. Local am dram groups have been doing Fawlty Towers on stage for years.

Gurke and Hare

Anyone who's on a holiday in London and wants a night out at a West End theatre, really.

neveragain

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 02, 2024, 11:55:52 AMPeople who liked The Play That Goes Wrong.

Hey. Don't be dissing that. Wonderfully orchestrated chaos.

mippy

The 'Faulty Towers' dinner show advertised at a hotel near my office isn't going to be best pleased. Hopefully they can give the actors playing Miguel, Synthia and Bartel understudy roles.

bobloblaw

Still, the arrival of another stage production based on a beloved TV sitcom will, at the very least, will really annoy Linehan. For that and no other reason, I'm for it.

DrGreggles

Quote from: neveragain on February 02, 2024, 03:44:03 PMHey. Don't be dissing that. Wonderfully orchestrated chaos.

Yep, proper belly laughs that.

poodlefaker

Quote from: neveragain on February 02, 2024, 03:44:03 PMHey. Don't be dissing that. Wonderfully orchestrated chaos.

It's not half as good as Noises Off. And the title? Fucksake lads, make an effort.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on February 02, 2024, 10:15:19 AMShould cast Barrymore in the Fawlty role

That'd be an interesting version of the story with the corpse.

neveragain

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 02, 2024, 06:31:46 PMIt's not half as good as Noises Off. And the title? Fucksake lads, make an effort.

Well, nothing's as good as Noises Off. And the title - yeah, I agree with you but in terms of broad, mainstream entertainment it's not a bad thing to be clear on what your show is. The TV series at least brought me a lot of joy - just pure fun, silly laughs; no pathos, darker edge or any important "point" - at a horrible pandemic-adjacent time.

thenoise

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on February 02, 2024, 03:18:27 PMAnyone who's on a holiday in London and wants a night out at a West End theatre, really.

Theatre for people who don't like theatre?

The one time I went, I was surprised to find that The X That Goes Wrong has a hardcore of fans at their live shows who know all the words and are also regular attendees to at least two of the following:

- MCCC (for the drinking)
 - Henley (for the drinking)
 - Frieze Art Fair (to see what Brian's Nephew's done with his Art School degree)
 - The Biennale (Per la vino)
 - The last night of the Proms (for Jerusalem, and to see Jenny's new Knightsbridge flat)

Waistcoats and bowties for the lads, Barbour jackets over summer dresses for the ladies.

Brundle-Fly

I'm sure they are, and good luck to them, but all that 'sloppy amateur dramatics' comedy conceit of those '...Goes Wrong' shows just seems such old hat to me.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Average Comedy Enjoyer on February 02, 2024, 10:12:50 PM- Frieze Art Fair (to see what Brian's Nephew's done with his Art School degree)

serving drinks at a reception of one of the gallery stands?

Play That Goes Wrong always struck me as something that's probably alright but as for most of London, massively overpriced and full of cunts

Tony Tony Tony