Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:09:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sega Mega Drive appreciation thread (no SNES pricks)

Started by madhair60, February 27, 2023, 02:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

alright? anyone else like "megadrive"? or Genesis if you are an american... or a bible!! LOL! just joking.

anyway did anyone have a mega drive, or still have one? i got one with some little mods that mean I can use it on modern tellies, but the main thing i want is a Mega SG from Analogue and I can see myself buying one as it's a very nice little piece of kit.

i picked up some cheap loose cartridges yesterday in leeds and the collection is growing... if you're interested you can see it here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CGrX9nofXcTRlVdq6_cY_xJ2HSaA6Syi/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=117320908937539464030&rtpof=true&sd=true

no SNES gaylords please. thanks!

dontpaintyourteeth

yeahhh I got one for Xmas in the nineties, when my mum was still writing "love from Father Christmas" on the wrapping, in slightly different handwriting. Bless her heart. 28 I was. Etc and so on.

Still have the megadrive but haven't used it in a while.

Best games*:

SONIC 3 AND KNUCKLES
DYNAMITE HEADDY
JUNGLE STRIKE
ETERNAL CHAMPIONS

*they were the best games when I was 7 years old or whatever. Don't shout at me if they actually aren't good

dontpaintyourteeth

never owned a SNES and the only kid I knew who did was the Jehovah's Witness lad that gave me a book of Bible stories that explained I wouldn't be going to heaven at the end

Mobbd

That's funny, I was just thinking about the old megadrive. It was the one console I ever felt passionate about. I had a Mastersystem before this one but I don't think I graduated to anything else.

Games I remember:

All the obvious Sonic games
Sonic Spinball
Lemmings
Alex Kid
Castle of Illusion
Pacmania
Cool Spot
Zool

I was a real sucker for platform games, especially fast-moving ones.

I also read Sega Power magazine quite diligently, most of which have now been digitized for nostalgia deep dives: https://segaretro.org/Sega_Power

They had a feature called Crap Corner. Not quite Up the Arse Corner. It was for the worst drawings to be submitted by kids. Enjoyably cruel.

Mobbd

Quote from: Mobbd on February 27, 2023, 02:33:29 PMI also read Sega Power magazine quite diligently, most of which have now been digitized for nostalgia deep dives: https://segaretro.org/Sega_Power

Looks like they're still at it. Weird. https://twitter.com/segapowered_mag

Brundle-Fly

Kept me sane in my poky bedsit in the early nineties. I bought a secondhand unit from Loot (Loot, now there's a blast from the past) and would be constantly gaming when I should've been looking for work. I once woke up at 10am and played straight through three in the morning.For that reason, I got rid. My favourites were Sonic (obvs), Castle Of Illusion, Columns, Ecco The Dolphin and Zombies Ate My Garden.
It's hearing the music again that gives me such a Proustian rush so I recently purchased a Sega vintage games collection for my X Box One to get that nostalgic fix. I played it for a bit but the novelty quickly wore off and I went back to Sniper Elite 4.

Mobbd

Is there such a thing as a USB megadrive control pad that contains a load of games for an easy plug-and-play no-bullshit nostalgia binge?

I am not depressed, you're depressed.

Video Game Fan 2000

alien soldier
shinobi III
vector man
dynamite heady
3rd best version of Ghouls n Ghosts

madhair60

out of genuine interest what are the better versions of GnG? I am guessing the original arcade and the PC Engine CD?

madhair60

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: madhair60 on February 27, 2023, 03:10:11 PMout of genuine interest what are the better versions of GnG? I am guessing the original arcade and the PC Engine CD?

1. arcade
2. snes
3. megadrive
4. pc engine
5. gameboy color
6. gba (would be higher if the screen didnt let it down, better than the snes version in a lot of ways)
7. wonderswan (lovely animations though)
8. psp, but i cant really judge since its hard to emulate

the megadrive version is one of the best games ever made even if its not the best one, i love this series. its kind of silly to rank them since most are made with a lot of love and care. still havent played the new one

bgmnts

I always used to think I had a Sega Megadrive because I will always remember playing Altered Beast as a kid, but it turns out I was playing that on an Amstrad system.

Would have loved a MegaDrive to play Sonic and Earthworm Jim though.

madhair60

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on February 27, 2023, 03:17:13 PM1. arcade
2. snes
3. megadrive
4. pc engine
5. gameboy color

the megadrive version is one of the best games ever made even if its not the best one, i love this series

hell yeah me too, (though I thought you meant the actual Ghouls 'N Ghosts rather than Super Ghouls - SNES - or Goblins - GBC). Would agree the fuck out of that list regardless. Mega Drive Ghouls 'N Ghosts is a game I really want to get but it's always a touch pricey.

Replies From View

£39.99 on a game cartridge in 1990 is equivalent to £116.29 today.

Some people's parents were absolutely made of money.

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on February 27, 2023, 03:19:36 PMhell yeah me too, (though I thought you meant the actual Ghouls 'N Ghosts rather than Super Ghouls - SNES - or Goblins - GBC). Would agree the fuck out of that list regardless. Mega Drive Ghouls 'N Ghosts is a game I really want to get but it's always a touch pricey.

Use an emulator and get an adapter that lets you link your controller to a USB port.

I defy anyone to say that the Japanese design isn't the sexiest games console ever created.

Waking Life

We got ours with Sonic, Chuck Rock, World of Illusion, and Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP2.

Chuck Rock was widely perceived to be the runt of that litter, but we gave it a proper go once we'd got bored and was actually pretty good. Gary the Dinosaur.

We had better games after that but nostalgia does push those to the fore. Street Fighter 2 with the six button joypad, Fifa 95 with the punching foul, Greendog with that catchy tune, and a quality Asterix game.

A lot of these never appear on the greatest hits - maybe they were shit? - but I think World of Illusion would definitely hold up; Disney graphics worked very well. Castle of Illusion seems to be the popular one, but it didn't have Donald Duck.

dontpaintyourteeth

What was the Mickey Mouse game where the levels were all old Mickey cartoons? Definitely caned that when I was little.

madhair60

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on February 27, 2023, 03:59:32 PMWhat was the Mickey Mouse game where the levels were all old Mickey cartoons? Definitely caned that when I was little.

Mickey Mania. A step down from Castle/World of Illusion in my view, but still a pretty good game with some outstanding graphics for MD

Quote from: Replies From View on February 27, 2023, 03:42:31 PMUse an emulator and get an adapter that lets you link your controller to a USB port.

I could emulate it, and have, but I want to own the cartridge

Replies From View

Has there ever been on the mega drive some form of blue mammal that collected holes?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

For the technically minded among us, this Youtube channel has a bunch of interesting videos about how coders achieved various supposedly impossible effects on the Mega Drive's poxy hardware.

I'm not technically minded, but the background music is nice.

dontpaintyourteeth

did anyone else spend an inordinate amount of time failing to get good at PGA Golf?

Famous Mortimer

SPEEDBALL 2 MOTHERFUCKERS

BRUTAL DELUXE

I AM QUITE GOOD AT IT

Mobbd

Quote from: Replies From View on February 27, 2023, 03:40:01 PM£39.99 on a game cartridge in 1990 is equivalent to £116.29 today.

Some people's parents were absolutely made of money.

That was my problem too. I think I only owned three or four games, one of which came with the machine. Borrowed most of them from mates or (yes!) rented them from the video shop.

Mister Six

That reminds me - you can download a whole free book about the Mega Drive (or "Genesis"), after Sega issued a cease and desist against the author.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 27, 2023, 05:13:43 PMSPEEDBALL 2 MOTHERFUCKERS

BRUTAL DELUXE

I AM QUITE GOOD AT IT

I set up an emulation box very recently and Speedball 2 was one of the first things I loaded up. Specifically the Atari ST version (which was the version I grew up with). I always thought it was better than the console ports, but having compared versions the Mega Drive edges it in terms of playability. Such a fantastic game; I hadn't played it in nearly 30 years and it still stands up brilliantly. *

I, er, have a friend who is a SNES prick, who says that - while the Mega Drive the first to market and the first console he ever saw with the "Wow! It's just like the arcade!" factor - he always thought the big name '90s ports like Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat II were better on the SNES.

Having said that, despite the guy being an absolute SNES tosser he recently played a load of old Mega Drive games on my emulator and it is indeed a great console. It's crazy what it could achieve in terms of graphics and sound (when the game developers could be arsed with pushing it to its limits). My His impression upon revisiting the Mega Drive, though, is that for all the awesome games that were released over the years, nothing ever quite recaptured the sheer wide-eyed awe of seeing the original Sonic the Hedgehog for the first time back when it came out. Just his two cents, the stupid wanker.

* I'm fucking terrible at it but I was great at it when I was 11, honest.

Pink Gregory

Despite apparently so many more people having a Mega Drive rather than a SNES, I don't believe I actually ever played on one when small.  Or knew anyone else with a SNES come to think.