Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:24:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sega Mega Drive appreciation thread (no SNES pricks)

Started by madhair60, February 27, 2023, 02:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Swift

Got the one that came with the above games. A friend at the time sneered that I wasn't getting Fifa, but he was a spoilt twat.

Loved the Mega Drive - the Sonic games, SFII, MKII, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, played the shit out a game called Bubsy that I rarely see mentioned. My ma wasn't into games at all, but even she loved Columns.

Years back I bought a Sega collection for the Playstation and played the crap out of some of these games. For some of them the nostalgia wore off, but the ones above still held up. It's funny though that we'd get stuck on say Streets of Rage as kids, but my son and I can blast through the whole game in about 45 mins.

Swift

Ooh, forgot about NBA Jam. Boomshakalaka! And NHL 95, loved getting into fights near the goal and making it move off its spot.

DJ Bob Hoskins

I've been watching a lot of retro gaming videos and I have learned that American YouTubers pronounce 'Sega' as 'Se-gah' (like the word 'mega'). Maybe this is closer to the Japanese pronunciation, but given that most games famously booted up with the "SAY-GAH" jingle it bugs the shit out of me.

See also the Atari Jag-war.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 28, 2023, 12:31:07 AMAustralians pronounce it "See-ga".

Fuck's sake.

Just grabbin' some tucker at Hungry Jack's, then home to play a couple a games on the Seega Jumbuck.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on February 27, 2023, 11:35:15 PMI've been watching a lot of retro gaming videos and I have learned that American YouTubers pronounce 'Sega' as 'Se-gah' (like the word 'mega'). Maybe this is closer to the Japanese pronunciation, but given that most games famously booted up with the "SAY-GAH" jingle it bugs the shit out of me.

See also the Atari Jag-war.

Similarly they say ESS-EN-EE-ESS instead of "Snez" which seems like an awful waste of time

DJ Bob Hoskins

And "Game Boy" is of course pronounced "Game Boo-ee" in the US.

PlanktonSideburns

Red Zone i really loved. Lots of computer screens and missiles with acronyms for names

Jerzy Bondov

The Mega Drive was the era of renting some random game at the video shop, playing it for five minutes, finding it confusing, and fucking it off to go back to Sonic 3. Basically the same as Game Pass actually.

Classic rental games:
Home Alone
Megalomania
Story of Thor
General Chaos
Greendog
Puggsy
Jungle Strike

Pink Gregory

Have to admit, the buttons in a line thing scares me a little.

tom_exorcisto

It was the best one, the others didn't have Road Rash, Super Shinobi or Mercs.

Replies From View

The best Mega Drive games were the Alex Kidd sequels.  Incredible puzzle solving and punching stuff and the most magical platforming grown to all men.  Plus he could celebrate when he wanted by eating some kind of rice triangle for two frames up and down motion, to his mouth and back down to approximately his lap area.  Absolutely pleased as punch he was.

Cute little dude who should have been the sega mascot instead of that blue snoopy.

Brundle-Fly

Swoz_MK

Revenge of Shinobi may be my favourite game of all time. And its OST is one of two game soundtracks I like enough to buy on 12" (the other was Bloodborne).

I should try and get hold of all the different region carts with moody bosses etc.

Snrub

My Dad was never a big gamer except I do remember him being obsessed with Jungle Strike and playing that through with me, so much so he pestered a bloke at work he knew to lend us one of the sequels. Also remember him pissing himself at Road Rash when you were knocking other people off their bikes.

Mega Drive are probably my fondest rose tinted memories of gaming. Loved the Game Boy which I had first, but there is definitely something different about your first proper home console.

Other random memories

-Loved loved loved Sonic. My tiny mind was blown by the concept of Sonic & Knuckles and the lock on technology to put Knuckles in the other two other Sonic games. Think me and my mates wound ourselves up into a frenzy over the possibilities and were gutted we couldn't play as Knuckles in Streets of Rage when we finally got it.

-Comix Zone, actually a really good idea of being trapped in a comic and fighting your way out. Was way better as a kid than replaying now, and for some reason my version came with a CD soundtrack that I listened to as if it was high art.

-Micro Machines! And the absolutely genius idea of making it a four player game by having extra controller ports in the cartridge. Micro Machines 96 definitely had this as I had that one, but think MM 2 also did. MM 96 also was amazing as it had not only its own track creator, but you could share your creations by noting down a very simple probably 100+ digit code. The game came with a pad where you could write them down and share them with your friends. Sega Power – or similar, I'm not sure I had to borrow my next door neighbours copy as for some reason my Mum didn't wanting me reading the magazines but was happy for me to play as a ninja beating the shit out of people – reprinted some of the best tracks. Was mega annoyed at typing out the first code TWICE and not being able to make it work. I was ten so probably me typing it out wrong.

-Renting games – that's a blast from the past. We rented loads of games from a bloke who just stuck a home made catalogue through people's doors and then came round with a car full of games and it was a quid, or maybe two max, for you to keep it for a week. Insane now I think about it, he was pretty sound and always had a better selection than Blockbuster or the dedicated games shops in town.

Only knew a couple of people with a SNES, but never was bothered about missing out. Our school was overwhelmingly Mega Drive. Have appreciated the games on that system when I was older, but as a kid the Mega Drive was proper fun

Replies From View

Was it Mega Drive = Nike and SNES = Reebok or something else?

There was a kid with trainers that had tiny basketballs on the tongues that you were meant to pump to puff them up into the beak of the Edd the Duck puppet you could buy.  I reckon that was probably quite Mega Drive-ish.

Quote from: Swoz_MK on February 28, 2023, 10:50:05 AMRevenge of Shinobi may be my favourite game of all time. And its OST is one of two game soundtracks I like enough to buy on 12" (the other was Bloodborne).

I should try and get hold of all the different region carts with moody bosses etc.

My Mega Games 2 one had Spider-man intact. The "Terminator" boss turned green like the Incredible Hulk when he became more damaged. The "Godzilla" was a dinosaur skeleton though, so not the original.

samadriel

Quote from: Replies From View on February 28, 2023, 08:40:06 AMThe best Mega Drive games were the Alex Kidd sequels.  Incredible puzzle solving and punching stuff and the most magical platforming grown to all men.  Plus he could celebrate when he wanted by eating some kind of rice triangle for two frames up and down motion, to his mouth and back down to approximately his lap area.  Absolutely pleased as punch he was.

Cute little dude who should have been the sega mascot instead of that blue snoopy.

I've got a little gap on my forearm where I'm considering getting an Alex Kidd tattoo.  The Megadrive version was shit though, the two good Alex Kidd games were Miracle World and Shinobi World for the Master System.  You are, of course, remembering Miracle World.

My dad was insanely good at Columns, watching him play the later levels was like watching one of those Tetris champions.

I was all about the RPGs; Phantasy Star 2 (a little dull), Phantasy Star 4 (golden), Shining Force 1 and 2, Landstalker, Shadowrun, Beyond Oasis or whatever it was called... I must be forgetting a couple.

I see madhair has Rolo to the Rescue;  scandalously failed to have saved games, considering how many levels it had. Good game though.  I watched a speedrun of it awhile back,  and the music nearly had me choked up remembering playing it with my sister and how we didn't get along at the time. Nostalgia and hellish years in a head on crash.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Replies From View on February 28, 2023, 12:22:51 PMWas it Mega Drive = Nike and SNES = Reebok or something else?

There was a kid with trainers that had tiny basketballs on the tongues that you were meant to pump to puff them up into the beak of the Edd the Duck puppet you could buy.  I reckon that was probably quite Mega Drive-ish.

MegaDrive= happy and complete life, full of love and companionship, packed to the rafters at your funeral

Snes= you can hear the sound of a far off desert wind whenever you looked into his eyes. Grave was concreted over to delay the inevitable

lazyhour

If you guys like the Sega Megadrive you'll love this console I've recently discovered called the Super Entertainment System. I recommend checking out the following:

Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
Super Metroid
F-Zero
Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy IV
Secret Of Mana
Earthbound
Super Mario Kart
Chrono Trigger
Super Castlevania IV

Rally good stuff! Well, thanks for reading.

PlanktonSideburns

Don't listen to him guys

If you ignore him he CANT hurt you

Art Bear

I had three Mega Drives stolen from my South London flat over a two-year period in the mid-nineties.

Nevertheless:

PGA Golf
Ayrton Senna GP
John Madden American Football
Brian Lara Cricket
Lemmings
Sonic 2

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: lazyhour on February 28, 2023, 11:34:58 PMIf you guys like the Sega Megadrive you'll love this console I've recently discovered called the Super Entertainment System. I recommend checking out the following:

Super Mario World
The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
Super Metroid
F-Zero
Yoshi's Island
Final Fantasy IV
Secret Of Mana
Earthbound
Super Mario Kart
Chrono Trigger
Super Castlevania IV

Rally good stuff! Well, thanks for reading.
Every one of those games is terrible, unplayable rubbish for babies.

lazyhour

PlanktonSideburns

Seriously snes people, we don't rock up to your creche and drink all of your squash - fuck off down a sewer pipe

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Art Bear on March 01, 2023, 06:13:01 AMI had three Mega Drives stolen from my South London flat over a two-year period in the mid-nineties.

I'm surprised you weren't able to stop the criminals if they were moving that slowly.

RetroRobot

Mister Six

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 28, 2023, 08:01:11 AMGeneral Chaos

Except this was actually great.

(Actually it might be shit if I play it now, but at the time it seemed amazing.)