Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:59:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tipping points

Started by bgmnts, April 07, 2023, 12:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Usually when I'm sitting on the edge of the settee hahaha but let's be serious for a second.

I think the combination of mostly digital with a very strong emphasis on staying online all the time was making me waiver. As were the size of these games.

And then this drops: https://twitter.com/DaiIySWGames/status/1643675115752927236

Games are regularly topping a ton when it comes to download size and when i'm at a position when I can only really download three games on my internal storage because even the up to date SSD won't let you play them on it, and you have to be online to start the games up for many of them, I think i'm out.

Plenty of games on my backlog I own but I think i'm out keeping up with it.

What have been your tipping points as a GAMER?

Wonderful Butternut

Roxy Robinson

Nooooooo I cant imagine being online all the time.

When games went from 16bit to 32bit, I just thought come on that's too far

oggyraiding

Not a fan of games that require a persistent online connection. I understand it for MMOs and heavily multiplayer stuff, but I dropped Mortal Kombat 11 when I learned that if you wanted to play offline you wouldn't have access to various progression mechanics. The upcoming Suicide Squad game needs to be always online, even in single player, which is silly. It's like the industry has learnt nothing from the shit Square Enix Avengers game.

bgmnts

Quote from: Roxy Robinson on April 07, 2023, 07:21:36 AMNooooooo I cant imagine being online all the time.

When it doesn't let you play your downloaded games offline, it's a big issue.

They just seem to be doing their best to make playing video games as irritating as possible, and it's working for me.

Mister Six

I refuse to buy any games that require a persistent online connection if they're not solely an explicitly online games like MMORPGs. And I don't like them, so I guess I don't buy any at all. And my internet connection is fine, so it really is a stance more than a practical issue.

As for tipping points, I suppose I must have hit one at some point in the past 10 years, although I'm not sure when. I no longer look forward to any particular games (except those in the Yakuza series, which I've become obsessed with) and I'm not champing at the bit to get the next console - I'm doing fine without a PS5 and will probably wait till the PS5 Pro comes out, whenever that is.

I think moving in with Mrs Six, getting a dog and starting to write again has helped ween me off the games. Just so much more going on that I can't really justify playing games for hours on end, day after day.

Roxy Robinson

Lockdown pretty much killed games for me. I went hard, got some decent 1CCs and obsessive high scores and just played the fuck out of every genre like a mad cunt, writing, talking, reading about games all the time, drinking Franconian beers every day, rimming, having a chilled time doing whatever I fancied. It was nice. Once I could go out again properly and I started getting into photo and hiking all that healthy shite, I basically only play games after that which are amazing or exactly in my niche, such as Demon's Souls, Returnal, Elden Ring and hardcore shmups/rhythm games. Almost everything else seems chronically fucking boring. Also got into Train Sim World 2 & 3.

Thosworth

As a Mac user for work in the 90s, the best games available were by Bungie. So when their new game Halo got acquired by Microsoft, and then became the launch title for a new console, I switched loyalty from PS1 to the OG Xbox. I stayed on board with MS for the 360, and was all ready to keep buying every new console after that.

Even when Bungie left and Halo 4 reviewed so badly that I didn't even buy it. Even when the new Xbox was more expensive than the PS4. I didn't care about Xbox One would check in online once a day, but I started to waver when they couldn't explain how the used game market and game sharing would work - I use CeX with great regularity.* And then I heard PlayStation was going to release VR.

However the final tipping point was hearing that the almost completely useless Kinect would be a compulsory integrated accessory, when there had not been a single decent game for it on the 360.

So thanks Don Mattrick for the worst console launch of all time getting me to discover all the PlayStation gems I'd missed out on for a couple of generations.

*The discs would have been worthless data delivery mechanisms, while you bought a license to the game online.

Pink Gregory

I don't reckon there is any need to 'keep up' with games.

Games release and for the first time in history now, most of them remain available in some form from that point onwards.

seepage

I can't be bothered with RTS games anymore, so that's one genre I don't have to worry about

Pink Gregory

Quote from: seepage on April 08, 2023, 01:39:12 PMI can't be bothered with RTS games anymore, so that's one genre I don't have to worry about

Funny how any crossover appeal to the mainstream is basically gone in that genre.  Company of Heroes 3 came out the other week, I read the Eurogamer review, heard nothing about it anywhere else.

Timothy

30fps.
Microtransactions.
Always Online games.
Unnecessary remakes.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Timothy on April 09, 2023, 08:38:10 AMMicrotransactions.
Always Online games.
These for me too. When the artifice is stripped from the industry, it's very difficult to go back.

Famous Mortimer

I remember some useless twat of a former CaBber defending the proto-versions of these practices, years ago, coincidentally being employed by that industry too.

bgmnts

Quote from: Pink Gregory on April 07, 2023, 09:15:11 PMI don't reckon there is any need to 'keep up' with games.

Well in order to keep and play the new games coming out, I'd have to invest in a Series X, which I did have but sold for financial issues etc.

That's what I mean by keeping up. For the ease and convenience of playing on a console, you'd expect it to be much less faff.

And yes combined by with the abysmal business practices that seek to rinse its loyal consumer base time after time, it's just getting too much.

Timothy

Not sure if you know but if you have a smart tv and arent bothered about potential input lag you could download the Gamepass app on the tv and play games without owning an Xbox.

falafel

Quote from: Timothy on April 09, 2023, 08:38:10 AM30fps.

That's about all my PC can manage on most games these days. I can't really tell the difference between 30 and 60 and I think I'm happier that way.

beanheadmcginty

What's the issue with being always online? Isn't a lot of tech stuff in general always online these days? Phones, computers, tellies etc? It's not like we pay per minute for the phone line like in the olden days.

Memorex MP3

HowLongToBeat: 10+ hours (with very rare exceptions)

Long as fuck intro (Okami)

Repeatedly interrupting initial patch of game with unskippable explanations (Burnout 3)

Unfair checkpointing

Not adequately optimized for current hardware's screen (Several VR games on Quest 2 prior to getting upgrades for new resolution, DS games stretched on 3DS, PS1 games on Vita)

Massive download sizes like OP mentioned

Steam "full controller support" that winds up having a ton of implementation issues

N64 games on anything other than an N64 controller

Confusing gyro controls (some joycon things feel like horrific attempts at doing wii functionality despite way better tech)

Imprecise controls (Super Hexagon with a poorly suited keyboard or mouse)

Mister Six

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 10, 2023, 01:46:18 PMWhat's the issue with being always online? Isn't a lot of tech stuff in general always online these days? Phones, computers, tellies etc? It's not like we pay per minute for the phone line like in the olden days.

Sometimes the cables around our way undergo repairs or the system goes down. I don't expect to have to stop playing a one-player beat 'em up just because it can't phone home every five seconds.

Plus I don't like games companies getting any more invasive and entitled than they already are.

Pink Gregory

Also it means that the game is only playable while someone is paying to keep the servers up.

Mister Six

Also that. Shit like this and Denuvo are more likely to make me pirate, not less.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: bgmnts on April 07, 2023, 01:16:30 PMWhen it doesn't let you play your downloaded games offline, it's a big issue.

They just seem to be doing their best to make playing video games as irritating as possible, and it's working for me.

You know what makes me really mad? Shit like the quoted

RetroRobot

Games that want to be films but have writing on par with a soap opera, which is most games like that

Mandatory collectibles that aren't sign posted as being mandatory

Bollocks last bosses that are way harder than anything else in the game

Over 10 hours unless it's an RPG or an endless type game

falafel

beanheadmcginty

I'm Ben Shepard and this is my favourite game show on ITV

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on April 15, 2023, 05:51:28 PMI'm Ben Shepard and this is my favourite game show on ITV

Hope it doesn't ride!!

Ooooh it's a rider