Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:15:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Souls III (revisited)

Started by Noodle Lizard, April 12, 2023, 05:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: druss on April 21, 2023, 09:12:23 PMWithout wanting to make this a Sekiro thread, beating the final boss of that game was probably the most satisfying boss in all of their games for me. It seems utterly impossible on your first few tries but last time I played I could beat him fairly consistently even on NG+ (possibly even ++ as well, I forget).

I cheesed demon of hatred though, wasn't fun at all.

I've only given Isshin a few attempts, but yeah it seems fair and learnable - or it will be after hours of bashing my head against it anyway. Having to do Genichiro each time is a bit crap, though.

I was actually surprised by how manageable I found the rest of the game after all the hype about its difficulty. It is difficult, but nothing took me that much more effort to overcome than the Soulsborne games - at least once I'd done Lady Butterfly and started to understand the combat system properly. With the exception of LB and the castle Genichiro, I don't think I've spent more than 10 or so tries on any boss - though I can imagine these last two putting an end to that streak.

The Ringed City, on the other hand, I found myself sprinting through large sections of it because it was the bad kind of hard.

Dickie_Anders

I liked Demon of Hatred. Absolute pain at the start but fun once you get to grips with it. Seems scary and unwieldly at first but like all Sekiro bosses it turns into a dance once you've sussed it

I'd rather have my cock ripped off than fight the "two Seven Spears of Ashina at the same time" miniboss, though

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Dickie_Anders on April 21, 2023, 10:33:09 PMI liked Demon of Hatred. Absolute pain at the start but fun once you get to grips with it. Seems scary and unwieldly at first but like all Sekiro bosses it turns into a dance once you've sussed it

I'd rather have my cock ripped off than fight the "two Seven Spears of Ashina at the same time" miniboss, though

I thought that would be impossible, but I figured out a way to overcome it. Is it cheese to backstab/puppet the boss's mate at the start of the fight? They're positioned as if that's what you're supposed to do.

Noodle Lizard

(Sorry, really don't want to make this a Sekiro thread but: Oo, just got Isshin! Counting some aborted attempts where I fucked up Genichiro, it probably took me about 20 tries. I'm amazed, honestly.)

druss

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 21, 2023, 11:39:25 PMI thought that would be impossible, but I figured out a way to overcome it. Is it cheese to backstab/puppet the boss's mate at the start of the fight? They're positioned as if that's what you're supposed to do.
I've never done it without doing that!

Congrats on Isshin! Such an epic fight.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: druss on April 22, 2023, 08:13:55 AMI've never done it without doing that!

Congrats on Isshin! Such an epic fight.

Loved it, and was expecting to suffer for a lot longer - I only got to his third phase twice! Of course I instantly went back to try it again in the Reflections of Strength and got absolutely flattened. Just Demon of Hatred left to go, but I'm told having a fully upgraded umbrella will be useful so I'll have to do some farming.

Speaking of farming, is there a reliable spot for it in DS3? Trying to keep on topic here. Sorry.

druss

It's been a while since I played but I believe the best spot is Archdragon peak by the constantly respawning enemies. You can backstab and smash them with a good strength build before they are able to get a hit on you and they give very good XP.

Roxy Robinson

I did Dancer & Ariandel sequence breaking and got +10 Sharp Twinblades just after Crystal Sage. Trivial now. Early game and late game (from memory) are really rather good but a lot of the middle feels like stodge. Better overall than I remember, though. Glad I went back to it but can't be bothered to finish it.

falafel

falafel

I'm just here to cheapen the discourse.

I just remember this bit which was like a sort of hall of mirrors version of the rooftop bit in Anor Londo. It has become a (perhaps unjust) synecdoche for the whole game in my mind. Recognition, repetition, rearrangement.