Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:23:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghostwire Tokyo [split topic]

Started by oggyraiding, April 24, 2023, 05:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oggyraiding

Got around to playing Ghostwire Tokyo. I got it cheap on PC when it came out, but it was too much for the graphics card to handle. It was on sale on PS5 (before it went onto the PS Plus Extra service), and I'm loving it. Everyone in Shibuya turned into a lost spirit, and evil ghosts are eating their souls or something. You are possessed by a dead man and use magic to exorcise the bad dude ghosts. Plays like a typical FPS in a smallish open world, but the setting is pretty unique and it's got a cool mix of magic powers. It's also on Game Pass for Series X/S. Would recommend if you're after something quirky. Same devs as The Evil Within if that sways anyone.

oggyraiding

Finished this. The story is dogshit. I don't understand it, not because it's complex and deep, but because there's no logical reason for the villain to do what he does, his motivation and goals are just baffling. Gameplay is decent, especially when you get buffs to your attacks. Also if you like wacky Japanese mythology, you might enjoy hunting kappas and them umbrellas wot are alive. If you can play it for free it's a good 20 hours of fun. But it's not something I recommend buying for more than £15. They should have just made The Evil Within 3.

Mister Six

I loved TEW, so I'll probably get this cheap whenever the PS5 Pro comes out (next year, looks like). Running around Tokyo twatting a bunch of Ghibli rejects sounds great to me, even if the story's a load of bollocks.

Barry Admin

It does look decent, seems worth fucking about with on Game Pass at least. The kung fu hand motions all look very well done.

Blue Jam

There should be a DLC called Ghostwatch Tokyo where you get posessed by Pipes and have to recover the soul of Michael Parkinson before a Kappa tries to steal it from his arse.

Blue Jam

(are there any Kappa in this? Just started playing and enjoying it so far but not seen any of the pervy cucumber-munchers yet)

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Awww, you can pet dogs in this! Little shiba inu doges.

The Crumb

This has a lot of things I like and love, but it's just not that compelling to play for more than an hour at a time. The core gameplay loop is pure mediocre AAA and the controls don't feel great.

Blue Jam

Mostly with you on that, @The Crumb . I like the combat and the controls but the abilities feel unbalanced. Ethereal weaving with Fire is stupidly OP while Wind takes loads of hits and if Water does anything at all I haven't figured it out yet. The bow and arrow is almost up there with Fire. The Talismans may help but I've just found them a bit of a faff.

I guess I just wish it was more fun to figure out combinations of weapons and abilities, like in Prey and Control. Here it just feels like you have to keep hitting with all you've got. With such a unique setting I had also been expecting the mechanics to feel a bit more original.

It's a beautiful game and a fascinating world to explore but dipping into it for an hour at a time feels like enough. Still probably the most fun I've had since Deathloop though.