Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:10:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stanley Parable [split topic]

Started by Ferris, April 26, 2023, 02:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

The Outer Wilds: I feel guilty, but I just don't get it. Like... ok, it's cool sort of, and I'm guessing when I get a loop that works the music plays just right and it all lines up, hooray.

I just don't feel bought in enough for that to feel like a victory. Also the exploration doesn't feel intuitive or rewarding, though I'm a simpleton so that might be a user issue.

Will give it another try but not a huge fan so far.

Mister Six

This topic split has gone wrong, I think.

Mobius

Yeah I found both of these games boring.

The Crumb

Quote from: Ferris on April 26, 2023, 02:57:38 AMThe Outer Wilds: I feel guilty, but I just don't get it. Like... ok, it's cool sort of, and I'm guessing when I get a loop that works the music plays just right and it all lines up, hooray.

I just don't feel bought in enough for that to feel like a victory. Also the exploration doesn't feel intuitive or rewarding, though I'm a simpleton so that might be a user issue.

Will give it another try but not a huge fan so far.

It doesn't have to be for everyone but I'm confused by the exploration not being intuitive. The game lets you pretty freely investigate anything that looks or sounds interesting.

The rewarding element probably relies on being bought in to the story/mystery. The mounting significance of stuff you find as you complete the picture is part of why it's so great to me.

Ferris

Ferris

That said, here's my comment:

Quote from: Ferris on April 26, 2023, 02:54:09 AMThe Stanley Parable: quite liked it. It's fun to not do what I'm told, and I'm a right stubborn fucker so as soon as the narration told me to go left I couldn't run right fast enough.

Interesting idea, but could easily get frustrating if you played it for too long. I was finished after 30 minutes or so - at one point it told me to turn off the PlayStation as the only way to win so I did, and went to bed. Perhaps that'll be rewarded when I switch it back on in the morning, who knows.

Ferris

A question (which I'll spoiler for anyone who hasn't played it)

Spoiler alert
Does the office/employee number/job you supposedly do have any resolution or relevance beyond being a blank slate for the gameplay to start from? I suppose it's relevant to being forced to press buttons in fiction but ahhh do you not see you are also pushing buttons now and following instructions, ahhh.

Also where did everyone go? Do you find the answers to all these mysteries and more if you play through every variation and ending?

Also re: me being a stubborn fucker, it occurred to me this morning I didn't play through a single time following all the instructions/narration. Probably should do that.
[close]

There's so many branching paths that I've played it dozens of times and still not seen everything.

I'm presently not playing it at all because
Spoiler alert
there's an achievement/ending for going 365 days between play sessions. Four months left...
[close]

Rev+

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on April 26, 2023, 02:29:04 PMI'm presently not playing it at all because
Spoiler alert
there's an achievement/ending for going 365 days between play sessions. Four months left...
[close]

Spoiler alert
Isn't it five years?  I think I've legitimately achieved that at this point, should fire it up really.
[close]

Also

Spoiler alert
You can just set your system clock forward, you know,
[close]

Ferris

I booted this up again ("maybe there's a few more endings I should get before I go to bed, and I never followed the instructions all the way through") only to find that I have the deluxe version, and there's really a whole shitload more content.

It's a bit pleased with itself, and the setup of the game means any old sandbox idea can be incorporated so it is occasionally style over substance, but it's still brilliant. Really unlike any other game I e played before (that I can think of, anyway) and the slightly unnerving feeling of not really being in full control of the game is very novel.

I turned it on and reset the clock before the main landing screen and it did a bit monologue about setting the time correctly and how most people don't bother so thanks a lot.

Spoiler alert
I went down the infinite hole over and over only to find there was some backwards talking. I recorded it and played it backwards, some kind of love poem about crossed timelines. Does it have anything to do with anything? Who knows.
[close]

Ferris

Anyway all that to say - I'm gonna play it again (rare), and I have broadly no idea what will happen. That's really unusual for a video game for a jaded old prick like me.

Quote from: Rev+ on April 26, 2023, 08:04:27 PM
Spoiler alert
Isn't it five years?  I think I've legitimately achieved that at this point, should fire it up really.
[close]

Also

Spoiler alert
[close]

I'll wait.

Mister Six

I think it's great for what it is, and it was a pretty original idea at the time. It's also impressive how much is crammed in there. I don't usually much like walking simulators, especially ones like Dear Esther, where you just sort of plod about while vague gestures are made to some kind of nebulous story, but this one makes me chuckle regularly, which is a pretty good way to win me over.

There was a follow-up of sorts, Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald, which is also very funny and has a neat central premise that I won't spoil here. Sadly, as much as I like him in other stuff, Simon Amstell isn't much cop as the narrator - he always sounds slightly amused or distracted, like he's aware that he's voicing a daft comedy game, which rather spoils it. Wish they'd got the bloke from SP back, or at least someone with the same tone.

Memorex MP3

I liked the Beginners Guide a lot more than the Stanley Parable, should probably revisit both. That guy has done nothing since, has he?

Blue Jam

Quote from: Rev+ on April 26, 2023, 08:04:27 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]

Also

Spoiler alert
[close]

For the Deluxe edition on the Xbox, that achievement unlocks after

Spoiler alert
TEN years! Ahahaha did you see what they did there
[close]

Blue Jam

Also if you like The Stanley Parable you might want to give Void Bastards a go. Same narrator, same corporate bureaucracy bollocks IN SPACE

Also Superliminal. No relation but similar feel and fackin' lovely.

brat-sampson

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on April 29, 2023, 10:31:58 PMI liked the Beginners Guide a lot more than the Stanley Parable, should probably revisit both. That guy has done nothing since, has he?

I mean, he made the Ultra Deluxe version of TSP which almost doubles the content of the original and is worth picking up if you liked it and wanted More.

Ferris

I have the Ultra Deluxe version and it is really good.

I still haven't followed all the instructions because there's so much to see.

Ferris

Followed all the instructions, nice.

Also very much recommend the ultra deluxe version because I think it more than doubles (?) the content and has a few interesting twists based on the original game.

It's a novelty game, but it keeps going interesting places. I'm going to play it again later which is unprecedented for my shitty attention span.

Ferris

Quote from: Mister Six on April 27, 2023, 05:46:42 PMDear Esther

Fell very short for us as well, as much as I wanted it to be good and was willing to kid myself.

QuoteThere was a follow-up of sorts, Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald, which is also very funny and has a neat central premise that I won't spoil here.

Just played this, nice concept and doesn't overstay its welcome. A few chuckles along the way too - good recommendation and for £0 the price can't be beat.

Mister Six

Have you played The Witness? It's a walking sim/explorey thing married to a puzzle game. I found it enjoyable and very distracting, but it was given away free on PS4 so I was happy enough to just drop it when the puzzles got too hard for my shiny-smooth brain. If you've forked out money for it, it might be frustrating in the later stages (if you're as thick as me).

Ferris

Yes!

It's one of those games I have really strong place/time associations, I had it on my iPad for one Christmas visiting my in-laws and for some reason ended up sinking hours into it.

I also lost interest after that trip as the puzzles got more and more esoteric. There's a free parody of it, The Looker which I've downloaded but not played yet. It's supposed to be pretty funny and solid reviews.

Mister Six

Ooh I'll - ho ho - look that up.

Blue Jam

I see no-one has mentioned Severance yet... hugely influenced by TSP of course.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 06, 2023, 09:59:05 PMI see no-one has mentioned Severance yet... hugely influenced by TSP of course.

The Adam Scott show? We watched it, but I found it a bit too unsettling to stick with.

You're totally right though, it's basically a third person Stanley Parable.

BritishHobo

Just played The Beginner's Guide again off the back of this thread. God but it's good. It's such a difficult thing to do, especially on the meta level, but it's the closest I've seen in video games to just a fucking great short story. Absolutely perfect match of the format with the theme. I like that it's very much the antithesis of The Stanley Parable as well, in that you can't really deviate and you're forced to experience it the way the creator wants you to, with no peace.

I remember loving it last time, but the moment
Spoiler alert
where you're trying to do the calm, peaceful housekeeping game, which Coda clearly loved, but Davey just won't fucking shut up, blabbering away over the relaxing music - and the later revelation that you're supposed to repeat that loop many many times but he robs you of the experience -
[close]
are up there with my favourite video game moments.

Ferris

I started the game up with the intention of Columbo-style doing "one more thing".

3 hours later, I had to shut it off because I have work in the morning, but I still have one more (different) thing to do, having been entertained and surprised along the way.

It really is a very good game, this. You'd think a premise this thin (albeit very inventive) would run out pretty quick. It's surprisingly inventive and good. Heavily recommended.

Ferris

Suspect I'm nearly done now and will read internet guides for the remaining endings, but the design of the game is amazing really. The amount of mileage it gets out of a Half Life mod and a voice actor is really impressive.

Anyone reading - I really recommend getting the bonus deluxe version or whatever it is called. Must be 3 or 4 times the content, minimum, and it's a proper expansion beyond just being more of the same.

Ferris

I think I'm finished with this game, but it's brilliant. Anyone reading should really play it, and not think "oh is that it?" after a playthrough or two because it's still surprising me hours and hours later.

Best thing I've played in years.

Blue Jam

I love the

Spoiler alert
Rocket League
[close]

bit in the Deluxe Edition.