Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:28:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Redfall

Started by Blue Jam, May 17, 2023, 05:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Inspector Norse

Had this pre-installing off Game Pass after reading a positive-sounding "first impressions" piece.

Then the reviews dropped and I cancelled the install.

Have to admit, I didn't find the concept that appealing, but thought that Arkane's track record would mean it would be worth a look (I tired of Deathloop pretty quickly, mind). But... seems like it's an irretrievable turd: not just buggy but stupid and boring too.

Series X hasn't really had an exclusive hit yet; they need Starfield to be good.

Blue Jam

It's available on Gamepass via cloud gaming on the Xbone.

Read the reviews and saw comparisons with Far Cry and Borderlands and thought "I quite like both of those series, how bad can this be?" but it's like a hybrid of those which manages to be boring. And like Fallout 4 but more boring.

Looks like Arkane have finally made a dud. We could have had Prey 2 and they gave us this? What a waste.

oggyraiding

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/03/redfall-dubbed-serious-goty-contender-as-hands-on-previews-go-live

The previews very positive and glowing.

But the actual reviews are dire - 56% Metascore on Series X.

Really makes you think - did they play a misrepresentative preview build to produce such glowing preview comments (including one saying it has potential to be GOTY)? Only for the final game released several weeks later to be buggy derivative shit. Whatever happened, it calls into question the integrity of the outlets who raved about the preview.

Thursday

Apparently it's pretty normal for games to be in a very rough state close to launch, so previewers tend to have be pretty lenient and look at the strong points and the potential when writing about it I'd also presume they're playing on very high end PC's. Not sure that really explains it in this case though.

Thursday

Thursday

Blue Jam

Quote from: Thursday on May 18, 2023, 01:34:06 AMApparently it's pretty normal for games to be in a very rough state close to launch, so previewers tend to have be pretty lenient and look at the strong points and the potential when writing about it I'd also presume they're playing on very high end PC's. Not sure that really explains it in this case though.

IGN famously gave Prey a scathing review when it came out because of all the bugs, then published a revised review when they were ironed out and they had to admit it was a great game.

Maybe that's why reviewers have been so charitable to Arkane here... nah, I actually didn't encounter any bugs while playing it on an Xbone via cloud gaming, it ran perfectly smoothly. I'm baffled as to what the reviewers saw to recommend in it, it's such an utterly generic game, and with a map that feels pointlessly huge because it's so empty and there's so little to disvover. It feels like a potboiler, Arkane can do so much better than this.

This game is even more disappointing than Atomic Heart.

madhair60

Blue Jam

H-O-W-L

Not even the same Arkane that did Prey etc afaik, just a new substudio made under their name.

Blue Jam

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 21, 2023, 09:32:52 AMNot even the same Arkane that did Prey etc afaik, just a new substudio made under their name.

It's Arkane Austin isn't it? ie, the one that did Prey, as opposed to Arkane Lyon who did Dishonored and Deathloop. I see Roundhouse Studios helped out, is there more to this?

Mobius

Imagine wasting years on this shite, stupid fucking twats

Thursday

At least it's not as long as Rocksteady have been making that Suicide Squad game.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 21, 2023, 09:49:38 AMIt's Arkane Austin isn't it? ie, the one that did Prey, as opposed to Arkane Lyon who did Dishonored and Deathloop. I see Roundhouse Studios helped out, is there more to this?

That hurts even more.  To go from Prey to...this.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 21, 2023, 02:59:55 PMThat hurts even more.  To go from Prey to...this.

Tell me about it :(