Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:57:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

SoldOut Software PC games

Started by George White, May 20, 2023, 11:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Just had a nostalgic gaze at some of these covers.
For many, the only affordable PC games.

To me, makes every 90svideogame feel British, maybe because seeing Command and Conquer or SimCity or Fallout with Worms or General Hospital or any games in the Jimmy White franchise made them equal.

Memorex MP3

There was a patch of time where dedicated gaming stores hadn't opened anywhere near me yet but a few larger newsagents and the like added a SoldOut stand, it was like a gift from god tbh.

Scarcity trumped affordability so excessively that we'd pay whatever inflated price any game we wanted appeared for in a shop or on the yearly city visit. To abruptly actually have a selection to choose from and them all being €7 or whatever was amazing.

Critcho

Fond memories of these, the late 90's/early 00's equivalent of picking up random games on a Steam sale.

JamesTC

Bought a load of these when I was a kid. Something like 3 for £5 at Gamestation.

The one that stuck in my mind was Project Eden. It kept crashing at the same place halfway through. I bought it on GOG but it just wasn't the same.

George White

Looking at a list.
Tomb Raider, Sin City, Worms, Command and Conquer, Theme Hospital, Pharoah, Theme Park, Alice, Alpha Centuari, GTA, Fallout, the Great Escape, Commandos, thief, Broken Sword, Dune, Resident Evil 2, Black and White,  Bomberman, Warcraft, Deus Ex, Kingpin, Gangsters, Heroes of WW2, Army Men, Creature Shock, Project Eden, Messiah, Daikatara, Road to India,

And then later on, Little Britain, Clive Barker's Undying...

Pink Gregory

What was Hotel Giant and why did I see it so much.

Do I remember seeing that 'the Sims but it's the Playboy mansion' game on there as well?

George White

See also School Tycoon. Which I bought, having come up with SimSchool with a friend. And was disappointed.

oggyraiding

I bought a bunch of these due to multi-buy offers, but I think the only one I actually stuck with was Civ III. At my mum's our PC was shite so it was nice that most of these SoldOut games actually ran on it.

Gurke and Hare

I think I bought Transport Tycoon on SoldOut.

bgmnts

Fucking yes! Brought me right back that did cheers.

Theme Hospital and Caesar III on my shitty Windows XP. Blissful.

falafel

What was their business model?

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Extreme nostalgia - memories of endlessly poring over the same selection of Sold Out games in my local Electronics Boutique, in the hope that something new and amazing would have been added to the affordable roster.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

getting commandos: beyond the call of duty for 99p years felt like the score of the century!

Pink Gregory

I'm probably going to have this copy of Operation Flashpoint til the end of my days until they figure out how to recycle cds.