Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:15:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Playstation "Showcase"

Started by druss, May 25, 2023, 08:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

druss

I completely forgot about this which I am glad about it is seems it was utterly underwhelming. Two years in and the PS5 still doesn't have many games to get excited about.

Mobius

It was really shit yeah. Dragons dogma 2 will be good

I suppose it's distracted everyone from that awful gollum game being released today

The Culture Bunker

Apologies if I've said before, but every couple of months I'll see a PS5 on sale for £470 or so somewhere, have a peek at some of the games available and think "nah". If the next XCOM title was being released tomorrow, then I'd be hard-pushed to resist temptation.

My PS4 does usually make some very worrying sounds that suggests it's on the verge of heading to microchip heaven, though, so I may end up stumping up sometime this year.

madhair60

i bought a ps5 during lockdown and have honestly barely fucking touched it, total waste of money. pointless. good console, mind! really runs nicely, good controller, etc. but no fuckin games

Thursday

There were a few things that I was quite interested in, but I don't think they're exclusive anyway.

JamesTC

Funny seeing loads of PS5 owners complaining yet I left that showcase delighted. Are they annoyed the big hitters are still going to PC and Xbox too?

MGS3 remake with 1-3 being ported to (hopefully) all platforms and before that arrived there was a surprise announcement of The Talos Principle 2. As a PC owner who loves both of those games, I'm ecstatic.

The Crumb

Glad Dragon's Dogma 2 is multiplat. The original had a great core to build a more complete sequel on.

For the MGS stuff, is it remasters of 1-3 (and possibly more for vol 2) and a separate full remake of 3, now dubbed triangle?

JamesTC

Quote from: The Crumb on May 25, 2023, 10:41:57 AMFor the MGS stuff, is it remasters of 1-3 (and possibly more for vol 2) and a separate full remake of 3, now dubbed triangle?

Yeah, Both.

Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater is a full remake. Referring to it as delta is apparently a way of differentiating. Delta represents change but with the retention of structure which is apparently what this is.

Metal Gear Solid Master Collection Volume 1 will feature the HD collection versions of MGS2 and MGS3 ported to modern systems. MGS1 and Special Missions will likely be emulated. The rumour is that Volume 2 will feature Portable Ops, Peace Walker and Metal Gear Rising.

oggyraiding

I like Kraven the Hunter and MGS so those were good elements of the showcase. But to say it was about 70 minutes long, there wasn't much else of note (to me at least). That Journey dev's game looks pretty I guess but I found Journey to be one of the worst games I've ever played.

bgmnts

oggyraiding

Quote from: bgmnts on May 25, 2023, 02:04:49 PMAre they remaking MGS1?

No I believe they're just porting the PS1 version to PS5, not a proper remake.

Pink Gregory

How on earth has all but one of the games in the Metal Gear series been unavailable for almost two generations?

Timothy

Yeah, incredibly underwhelming. Lots of generic games.

Dogma, FF, Talos and that was about it. Disappointing.

Hope the Xbox Showcase will be better, but don't have high hopes for that either.

JamesTC

Quote from: oggyraiding on May 25, 2023, 02:10:45 PMNo I believe they're just porting the PS1 version to PS5, not a proper remake.

I imagine if MGS3 Remake is successful, they'll move on to the rest.

Magnum Valentino

Is Twin Snakes tied up in rights or something? It's never been reissued since its lone outing on GameCube

JamesTC

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 25, 2023, 02:55:38 PMIs Twin Snakes tied up in rights or something? It's never been reissued since its lone outing on GameCube

It is rubbish. Completely breaks the game by adding mechanics. MGS1 is far and away the best way to play it.

Thursday

I don't know what people were expecting because "a few potentially good games" is basically above average for one of these showcases for me.

oggyraiding

That Granblue might be good. Platinum Games worked on it for a few years before leaving the project, so there may be residual Platinum quality.

bgmnts

Quote from: Thursday on May 25, 2023, 03:14:04 PMI don't know what people were expecting because "a few potentially good games" is basically above average for one of these showcases for me.

These expos peaked with this moment:

https://youtu.be/46BxARB2PZU

Will be hard to reach that height again.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: JamesTC on May 25, 2023, 03:13:55 PMIt is rubbish. Completely breaks the game by adding mechanics. MGS1 is far and away the best way to play it.

Same reason that MGS4 will never be rereleased, nobody wants it.  Other than me.

JamesTC

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 25, 2023, 04:02:05 PMSame reason that MGS4 will never be rereleased, nobody wants it.  Other than me.

My second favourite game of all time. After MGS1.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: JamesTC on May 25, 2023, 04:08:48 PMMy second favourite game of all time. After MGS1.

Isn't MGS4 also notoriously difficult to emulate as well?

Noodle Lizard

They'd do themselves a world of good by simply Tweeting out a simple apology and a 60fps patch for Bloodborne.

I'm not sad I got a PS5, though, the loading times are ace.

JamesTC

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 25, 2023, 04:11:34 PMIsn't MGS4 also notoriously difficult to emulate as well?

Yeah. I have a 3080 and a 5600X so it isn't too bad for me. If you don't have a higher end system, you'll struggle. But it is getting better.

madhair60

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 25, 2023, 02:14:50 PMHow on earth has all but one of the games in the Metal Gear series been unavailable for almost two generations?

2, 3, Revengeance and Peace Walker are available right now on Xbox

bgmnts

Indeed. And the port on Xbox even has Metal Gear 1&2!

JamesTC

Quote from: madhair60 on May 25, 2023, 06:18:17 PM2, 3, Revengeance and Peace Walker are available right now on Xbox

2/3 have been delisted IIRC.

MGS2 had some rights issues with some footage used in cutscenes which meant they took it off digital stores and I don't think it has returned.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: madhair60 on May 25, 2023, 06:18:17 PM2, 3, Revengeance and Peace Walker are available right now on Xbox

oh, really?  Didn't know that, I thought they'd never been released digitally outside of PS3/360 (HD collection I mean)

madhair60

Quote from: JamesTC on May 25, 2023, 06:27:28 PM2/3 have been delisted IIRC.

MGS2 had some rights issues with some footage used in cutscenes which meant they took it off digital stores and I don't think it has returned.

like i said; wrong about everything

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 25, 2023, 06:36:40 PMoh, really?  Didn't know that, I thought they'd never been released digitally outside of PS3/360 (HD collection I mean)

it's the 360 versions on backward compatability, though as JamesTC says they've been taken down without my knowing :(