Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:47:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Steam Summer Sale

Started by pierre boo-lez, June 26, 2023, 02:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre boo-lez

Raid your piggy banks, the Steam Summer Sale starts this Thursday at 18:00 BST.

While Steam has lots of sales over a year, the summer and winter ones are usually the biggest and deepest.

This is your chance to buy all the Yakuza games, or Euro Truck Sim 2 for not very much like a real cool guy™️

Do it. Spend the money and tell us all about it.

Pink Gregory

wish I could get excited for these but with a combination of my PC hitting the performance glass ceiling (can't run RE Village, which is the most recent thing I tried) and not having a good setup for mouse and keyboard (ie not a desk) I've really slacked off PC gaming for the last few years. 

Which is a shame because I could definitely go for some less-intense management games.

pierre boo-lez

I do enjoy a management game, have you got your eye on any in particular?

I'm fortunate to have recently acquired a Steam Deck, and while I ought to work through my backlog my wish list is about 64 games deep...

Pink Gregory

Nah not really, haven't been keeping up with indie or AA games in particular because I don't read the websites as much as I used to

Memorex MP3

Is BeamNG any good? Looking for some driving games with very realistic controls. Have that city car driving one but it'd be great to have one that's a bit fun to play.

Euro Truck simulator might work too? Are any of the trucks just cars?

Gurke and Hare

Can't wait for this to spend loads of money on games I'll never actually play!

pierre boo-lez

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on June 26, 2023, 03:56:22 PMIs BeamNG any good? Looking for some driving games with very realistic controls. Have that city car driving one but it'd be great to have one that's a bit fun to play.

Euro Truck simulator might work too? Are any of the trucks just cars?

Euro Truck Simulator is just about driving trucks and listening to European radio stations while giving the finger to nigel farage. It is v good, but you only drive trucks, sorry.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 26, 2023, 04:47:44 PMCan't wait for this to spend loads of money on games I'll never actually play!

That's the spirit!

Rev+

The sales used to be so much fun just as events in themselves, when there were the daily specials, flash sales, and votes for things that should get a bigger discount.  It felt like a two week event, as you didn't just check it on day one and see if you were arsed about anything.  The refund system killed the old style, and having that system is a good thing, but what did we lose, people?  What did we lose?

Also anyone who doesn't have Euro Truck 2 should have it for the 50p it'll be going for.  Delivering a load of yoghurt while listening to a mad French metal station is the stuff computers were invented for.

seepage

not the sale yet but, as I was severely trounced in Wingspan on Board Game Arena while half completely pissed, just bought the Windows version on Steam so I can learn solo at 50% off = £8.49

madhair60

that game is for the birds

pierre boo-lez

Quote from: seepage on June 27, 2023, 09:40:38 AMnot the sale yet but, as I was severely trounced in Wingspan on Board Game Arena while half completely pissed, just bought the Windows version on Steam so I can learn solo at 50% off = £8.49

That looks fantastic! Before I buy it, there's no conflict or fighting involved is there?

I'm all for a bit (a lot) of ultraviolence in most games, but not in that sort of game.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: pierre boo-lez on June 27, 2023, 11:58:34 AMThat looks fantastic! Before I buy it, there's no conflict or fighting involved is there?

I'm all for a bit (a lot) of ultraviolence in most games, but not in that sort of game.

I've got Wingspan the board game and haven't played it, but I've seen it be called an 'engine-building game'.  Scoring has something to do with gathering different breeds of birds, eggs etc; I don't think there's any interaction between players at all, besides competing for the pool of birds/eggs, but I might be wrong.

seepage

Quote from: pierre boo-lez on June 27, 2023, 11:58:34 AMThat looks fantastic! Before I buy it, there's no conflict or fighting involved is there?

No conflict or fighting afaik

The birds you manage to play have powers and synergies that trigger at certain times to score extra victory points and grant bonus resources

The board game is from the same company that makes the 'worker placement' and 'engine building' games Viticulture and Scythe

I like Viticulture the board game but the Windows version is supposed to be not very good (unlike Wingspan)

pierre boo-lez

Neat, thank you both very much!

madhair60

the birds beat the living shit out of each other

seepage

the birds will beat the living shit out of you in a minute!

Malcy

Think I'll grab Euro Truck simulator but didn't really see much else.

Gurke and Hare

Picked up Crusader Kings III half price. Will definitely play that for about an hour before I realise I have no clue what's going on if CKII is anything to go by. Also bought Interrogation Simulator, Koi Farm, Energy Island Corp and The Wandering Village.

pierre boo-lez

If you don't have any of the Yakuza games, or only a couple of them, the Yakuza bundle of 0-6 for £28 is fantastic.

Mister Six

And Yakuza 7 (aka Yakuza: Like A Dragon) is going for about 15-20 quid, which is incredible value for money. No need to get the Hero versions with DLC, by the way - none of the DLC is particularly essential.

seepage

Oh dear, this could get expensive!
Definite:
For The King     -75% = £3.87
Wargroove        -69% = £6.10
Dark Quest 3     -62% = £6.93

Maybe:
Black Geyser           -50% = £14.99
Lost Eidolons          -40% = £17.99
Miasma Chronicles -40% = £26.99
Mahokenshi            -33% = £14.06

Dave The Diver (which probably merits its own thread) - introductory 10% off = £15.29

brat-sampson

What's with the %-tag things that don't tell you the actual percentage discount? Seems weird.

pierre boo-lez

Quote from: brat-sampson on June 30, 2023, 10:26:22 AMWhat's with the %-tag things that don't tell you the actual percentage discount? Seems weird.

Probably Steam still not investing in decent servers, over a decade since this first happened. They usually catch up in the end.

In games you should play news: Disco Elysium is £8.74. If you don't know anything about it, all you ought to know is it's a crpg about an absolute disaster of a man trying to solve a crime. Play it, you'll love it.

Terence Bowl

Had a look around last night. might have got The Outer Worlds if it had been a bit cheaper and I quite fancied Anno 1800 for £13 but that would mean having to install Ubisoft's super shitty client launcher and giving money to a company run by rapey cunts, so fuck that.

Might get the Italia and Iberia DLC's for Euro Truck but these days I tend to do one delivery then think 'yeah I've had enough of this now'.

I've never gotten round to the XCOM reboots so I'll probably spunk £15 on the Ultimate Collection which is both the main games plus all the DLC for those games and a stand alone title called XCOM: Chimera Squad.

I'd recommend Space Haven (60% discount at £7.59) if you enjoy building/management/survival games.
It's still in early access but they've just released build 17 and it's pretty much a full game now (probably just need to add a couple more things and do a bit of refining and polishing).
It's a bit like the original XCOM games meets Dwarf Fortress, I'm currently losing many hours to it.

Ferris

The best and most interesting game I've played this year is an older one: the Stanley Parable - Deluxe edition.

Worth a shout if you've never played it before, sort of a Douglas Adams narrated exploration game with jokes. Also yes, you want the Deluxe edition.

madhair60

PSA the jokes aren't funny and it's really boring

Vodkafone

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 27, 2023, 04:30:47 PMI've got Wingspan the board game and haven't played it

Insanity. It's a very good game, improved by the European deck though.

Mister Six

Quote from: madhair60 on June 30, 2023, 11:56:38 PMPSA the jokes aren't funny and it's really boring

You scared of the competition?

BOOYAH!

Mister Six

Ended up buying Yakuza: Like A Dragon for a mate. The first hit is always free...

JamesTC

Halo MCC is insane value at £7.49 at the moment. Five great games (Halo 1-3, ODST and Reach) as well as another game as a bonus (Halo 4).