Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:14:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fable

Started by oggyraiding, July 01, 2023, 02:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oggyraiding

The reboot recently got a teaser trailer featuring Richard Ayoade.

Unfortunately the game has been labelled "woke" because the female character isn't stunningly beautiful.

Wonder what other performers will be in it, the other games had pretty good voice casts. Would like to hear Bob Mortimer in it I think he'd be proper good.

I loved Fable 1, quite liked Fable 3, and right this very minute I am starting Fable 2.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: oggyraiding on July 01, 2023, 02:58:10 PMUnfortunately the game has been labelled "woke" because the female character isn't stunningly beautiful.

this has to be a joke at this point, surely

that and the weirdo that made that photoshop of Aloy from Horizon with perfect dentistry and plucked eyebrows

Roxy Robinson

Absolutely staggering that Microsoft would make a character - a main character - as unattractive as that. It doesn't half rankle when you look at the likes of Cammy in Street Fighter or 2B in Nier: Automata and find them attractive. Then you turn this on and you're looking at someone for hours who you don't even find attractive. Bizarre decision but Microsoft have got form.

oggyraiding

Playing Fable 2, enjoying it a lot despite it being fairly clunky, but there's an issue I've got and I can't work out if it's a feature or a bug.

Every night the blacksmith goes to the pub, and will dance next to the bard indefinitely. When it's 9AM and shops open, he still dances.

I have to approach him, get him to follow me, lead him to the blacksmith shop, and only then can I buy things. I have to do this every time I want to use his services.

Is he meant to be workshy and dance all day, or is it just jankiness?

bgmnts

Is Peter Molyneux involved in this?

If so, what extraordinary lies has he told about the project?

This just makes me want to play the original Fable now because it's so good.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: oggyraiding on July 02, 2023, 03:28:19 PMPlaying Fable 2, enjoying it a lot despite it being fairly clunky, but there's an issue I've got and I can't work out if it's a feature or a bug.

Every night the blacksmith goes to the pub, and will dance next to the bard indefinitely. When it's 9AM and shops open, he still dances.

I have to approach him, get him to follow me, lead him to the blacksmith shop, and only then can I buy things. I have to do this every time I want to use his services.

Is he meant to be workshy and dance all day, or is it just jankiness?

This is really funny.

Rev+

Never noticed that but it does sound like the kind of thing they'd stick in there deliberately.

Really liked all the Fables, but 2 and 3 both felt like short games pinned to something that was intended to be much longer.  Buying up shops and renting out properties isn't something for a 10 hour game, but hey, that's our Pete.  A whole load of ideas that don't gel, leading to an end product that's decent but not as good as it could have been.

He's not involved in this one, so I'm looking forward to it.

shoulders

If you're happy for the world to be sandboxed corridors where you kill indefinitely respawning enemies for the right to barter and improve your weaponry and play basic card games you could play just as easily if you had a single friend and feel pride as invented children chant your name, Fable II is the game for you.

I do think the original is such a charming game and the fighting mechanic of thrust, parry, side roll is much more dynamic and fun than Bethesda's 'stand and twat while computer decide'.

Loads of nascent, interesting ideas and natural personality crushed unremittingly into a fairly familiar structure, a segmented and limited world that was rendered obsolete almost instantly. Hey ho.

oggyraiding

Just got back from the 10 years on the Spire in Fable II. I think the interface is possibly the worst I've ever seen in a AAA game. Navigating and fast travelling and simply having a clear world map is just a total hassle. I have no idea of the layout of the world, it doesn't tell me which exit from a zone leads to which zone, I'm totally reliant on the breadcrumb thing. I get it came out before the open world game conventions became ubiquitous, but Christ it's doing my head in.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: oggyraiding on July 03, 2023, 12:51:05 AMJust got back from the 10 years on the Spire in Fable II. I think the interface is possibly the worst I've ever seen in a AAA game. Navigating and fast travelling and simply having a clear world map is just a total hassle. I have no idea of the layout of the world, it doesn't tell me which exit from a zone leads to which zone, I'm totally reliant on the breadcrumb thing. I get it came out before the open world game conventions became ubiquitous, but Christ it's doing my head in.
Don't worry, they totally changed it in Fable III! And made it one million percent worse

oggyraiding

I finished Fable III ages ago so can't remember the details. Something about going to a mind palace with John Cleese as your butler every time you wanted to change equipment?

Finished Fable II, real damp squib of an ending. I thought once I got the three heroes together there'd be all sorts of stuff to do before the final confrontation, but in reality once you got Reaver it's all over in 20 minutes. Felt like an entire middle act of the story was missing. It has its charm and humour, and the gameplay is serviceable, but it was just nothingness. A video game meringue.

oggyraiding

The DLC was shite. I paid like £11 for Knothole Island and See The Future. Knothole Island had a cool concept that was executed in the most boring way possible, and See The Future had some cute gimmicks and I guess the bit where it teases the plot of Fable III would have been cool at the time.

£11 for maybe two and a half hours of mediocre content, bad value.

Proactive

Quote from: bgmnts on July 02, 2023, 04:00:00 PMIs Peter Molyneux involved in this?

If so, what extraordinary lies has he told about the project?

This just makes me want to play the original Fable now because it's so good.

I don't think he is, but you're in luck because he's just announced a new one that has gameplay concepts which have literally never been utilised before

https://www.eurogamer.net/peter-molyneux-teases-new-project-with-idea-thats-never-been-seen-in-a-game-before

He can't say what they are though because someone else might nick 'em.

Mister Six

I'm sure we can all trust whatever Peter Molyneux has to say.

Rev+

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I remember in Fable 2 I started the game trying to be good but switched to evil after a few hours because the villagers wouldn't leave you alone if you were good, they crowded you whenever you went. Evil at least they fucked off. Also eating meat gave you corruption points, but eating vegetables gave you purity points, which I found a bit preachy.