Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:05:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

2000AD games

Started by Oh, Nobody, July 19, 2023, 02:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh, Nobody

2000AD, a comic owned by a games company, is getting a game/s thanks to a different games company:

https://rebellion.com/good-shepherd-partnership/?utm_source=Social+&utm_medium=Organic+Posts&utm_campaign=Good+Shepherd+Announcement+

Bit weird but I'll take it. I've never heard of Good Shepherd, are they shit? Are we just going to get a Roy of the Rovers game?

Kept the thread title vague in case anybody wants to natter about past 2000AD games, like that arcade game with the bloke yelling JUUUDGE DREDT every credit.

Norton Canes

Hope it gets finished quicker than the Mega City TV series

bgmnts

I know there was a Dredd game and a Rogue Trooper out but they both looked really crap. I'd love to see some good games of those.

I feel a good Dredd game could be fucking immense.

Pink Gregory

if the stars had been different we could have got a 7/10 Devil May Cry clone with Nikolai Dante

A Dredd reskin of Syndicate, anyone?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Oh, Nobody on July 19, 2023, 02:30:07 PM2000AD, a comic owned by a games company, is getting a game/s thanks to a different games company:

https://rebellion.com/good-shepherd-partnership/?utm_source=Social+&utm_medium=Organic+Posts&utm_campaign=Good+Shepherd+Announcement+

Bit weird but I'll take it. I've never heard of Good Shepherd, are they shit? Are we just going to get a Roy of the Rovers game?

Kept the thread title vague in case anybody wants to natter about past 2000AD games, like that arcade game with the bloke yelling JUUUDGE DREDT every credit.

No, they're a pretty good publisher (Devolver is the parent company, IIRC) so could bode well. They do quite a few turn-based games (like the Hard West ones), so wonder if that will give an indication of what to expect?

Although Rebellion is a games company, partnering up with another for a strategic relationship (they've stressed about it being long-term) does have its advantages. These days, they really focus on the Sniper games, so trying to expand its range will have challenges, which a partnership can mitigate.

Pink Gregory

Sniper Elite is a competent if increasingly unfocused series with impressive level design and some great touches where they've had ideas.

Given enough budget they could probably bolt together a 7-8/10 action game with stuff they've already got.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: bgmnts on July 19, 2023, 03:31:42 PMI know there was a Dredd game and a Rogue Trooper out but they both looked really crap. I'd love to see some good games of those.

I feel a good Dredd game could be fucking immense.

No, they were far from being bad. Although you would get more out of liking the IP, both were a decent tie-in - Rogue Trooper was very good, Dredd was solid and quite fun.

I suspect the Dredd game hasn't aged well, but at the time, I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to (IIRC, the switching between ammo worked so well). The campaign wasn't long, but I think that suited it and there were other modes (arcade was one). Shame that they didn't build on it.

Rogue Trooper was by no means perfect (the on-rail segments, I don't think worked), but it was a good third-person shooter, which was positively received. Although linear, there were a lot of different options open to how to approach each area, so lent itself to a tactical approach - for instance, there were ways of distracting enemies so you could sneak up. Sniping was great fun and shooting Nort air tanks causing them to explode or watching troops panic as you shoot through the pipes connecting their oxygen supply, never got old.

There was great use of Helm, Gunnar and Bagman - both in terms of their abilities (which were unlocked and IIRC, upgradeable) and their comments during the game.

Several years ago, they brought out a Redux version, which largely just updated the graphics (I think it used a property engine of Rebellion's). Personally, I think thy should have updated a bit more - the controls and cover system, for example, could be a little clunky at times on the original but felt more so a decade or so later.

bgmnts

Well I have to play them now then! They never looked great to me but I was a stupid kid then so fuck knows.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on July 19, 2023, 06:47:21 PMWell I have to play them now then! They never looked great to me but I was a stupid kid then so fuck knows.

both on GOG.com to my knowledge

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 19, 2023, 07:43:45 PMboth on GOG.com to my knowledge
Quote from: bgmnts on July 19, 2023, 06:47:21 PMWell I have to play them now then! They never looked great to me but I was a stupid kid then so fuck knows.

If you're playing on a PC, the Dredd game is usually about a fiver and Rogue Trooper Redux £20 on Steam. They do go on sale but CD Keys do them for less than £2 and £5 respectively. There is a collectors edition of Redux, but think it's just soundtrack, comic and wallpaper.

Worth a punt if you like the license / but have a look on the reviews on Steam, don't just blame me... I mean take my word for it.

Redux is also on the PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo eshops.

H-O-W-L

The Dredd game has aged horribly and is not actually very good I am sad to say. The arcade mode is worth a punt but the campaign is just poorly designed.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: H-O-W-L on July 20, 2023, 07:22:04 AMThe Dredd game has aged horribly and is not actually very good I am sad to say. The arcade mode is worth a punt but the campaign is just poorly designed.

As I say, I thought the game likely has not aged well (and I guess a fair few shooters from that period haven't) but it's £1.79 so I can recommend having a look with a clear conscience.

willbo

I actually loved the Dredd game. For one player, it had a story quest, which was kind of outdated and generic... expect for the fact that the visuals and humour (at least in the first few levels)  captured Mega City One well. But there was also a bunch of "survival levels" - a block war, a hospital overrun with zombies, etc - where you just ran around shooting NPCs and trying to stay alive as long as you can. I found these addictive as heck and spent hours on them.

madhair60

the SNES Judge Dredd game was really cool imo. Underrated.