Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:22:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Learning to Drive via the PS4

Started by Tokyo van Ramming, July 22, 2023, 06:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tokyo van Ramming

I'm learning to drive (manual). It's quite stressful and very expensive, so wonder if I might supplement my lessons by getting a steering wheel, pedals and gearstick set-up (just a cheap set-up) for the PS4 to get comfy with the basics.

I've had a look and can't find any games that are likely to help; I don't expect to be on any racing circuits, nor off-road, if I can help it.

Ideally I'd just like to pootle about a town with some traffic. I won't be surprised if this game doesn't exist but it would help a lot if it did!

I know there are all kinds of simulators available on the PC but mine own one won't manage the graphics. Can you help me please.

Memorex MP3

I'm finally bothering to get a manual license atm and I've actually got the full set up for this shite so I did try it:

Oculus Quest
VR ready PC
Logitech G29 + shifter
Playseat Challenge seat
City Car Driving

Your pc can almost certainly handle city car driving cos it's fucking ancient; takes ages to start up though so I'd recommend an m2 ssd hard drive. There's some really bad logic around the menus that makes it a bit shite in VR and some of the lessons are really unforgiving

Haven't actually bothered using it much so far but I will say the weird indicator controls resulted in me massively fucking up on an actual driving lesson so it's currently a net negative. Probably best to keep away from it until you're comfortable enough in an actual car

My test is actually in a month so I should have more useful feedback by then.

Tokyo van Ramming

City Car Driving sounds spot on, and I have a few Oculi within my reach. If I can get hold of one I'll look out for the indicator issue.

I've done alright on my first couple of lessons but for some reason made a lot fluffs on the last. I'd just be happy to get the gear changing and moving on under control, so will give it a go if I can.

Thanks Memorex, I really appreciate your insight. And best of luck with the test!

Rodan

I learned to drive from the anime film REDLINE

El Unicornio, mang

Seconded for City Car Driving. You can choose different setups (driving on different sides of the road, manual, automatic, etc) and a variety of cars. And it has a real world style driving test.

There's also a new one called CityDrive, set in a real area of Munich, but it apparently has some issues currently.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: Rodan on July 22, 2023, 07:47:39 PMI learned to drive from the anime film REDLINE

I'll check this out before I do anything else. Thank you!

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on July 22, 2023, 07:47:48 PMSeconded for City Car Driving. You can choose different setups (driving on different sides of the road, manual, automatic, etc) and a variety of cars. And it has a real world style driving test.

There's also a new one called CityDrive, set in a real area of Munich, but it apparently has some issues currently.

What the hell is Munich

Consignia

I was playing too much GTA 3 whilst learning to drive, I drove down the wrong side of the road. I also used Crazy Taxi knowledge about slowing down (shifting into to reverse) on my theory test, which caused me to fail. These are lessons everyone should take to heart.

druss

Quote from: Consignia on July 22, 2023, 10:59:44 PMI was playing too much GTA 3 whilst learning to drive, I drove down the wrong side of the road. I also used Crazy Taxi knowledge about slowing down (shifting into to reverse) on my theory test, which caused me to fail. These are lessons everyone should take to heart.
The prostitutes you banged and murdered on your test probably didn't help either.

Consignia

Quote from: druss on July 23, 2023, 09:07:38 PMThe prostitutes you banged and murdered on your test probably didn't help either.

It did on my subsequent HGV test.

Glebe

letsgobrian

Quote from: Rodan on July 22, 2023, 07:47:39 PMI learned to drive from the anime film REDLINE

Definitely a soundtrack to induce speeding.

Mister Six

That's the "true life" story behind the extremely naff-looking Gran Turismo film.

Tokyo van Ramming

That gives me a lot of hope, hope that there will be fewer films based on video games. Looks like an episode of Fate: The Winx Saga...

druss

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on July 26, 2023, 07:27:50 AMThat gives me a lot of hope, hope that there will be fewer films based on video games.
Feels like it has been going more the other way I think.