Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:04:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Nintendo console in 2024 QUESTION MARK

Started by Kelvin, July 31, 2023, 07:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Numerous leaks from suppliers and game studios now suggesting the Switch's successor will be out in 2024, probably the second half.

What would you want from a new Nintendo console? Are you one of those people who only likes 3D Mario and Zelda but will buy the console and then moan they don't have enough games? Do you have a guess at their latest stupid controller gimmick?

bgmnts

4DS*

Give me a new Ghost Trick.

*the gimmick is that real time passes as you play it in real time. Have Nintendo attempted some kind of scratch and sniff type gimmick yet? Maybe in a cooking party game.

Consignia

Quote from: Kelvin on July 31, 2023, 07:00:49 PMDo you have a guess at their latest stupid controller gimmick?

FleshlightCon.

Pink Gregory

You say stupid controller gimmicks but they've hit more often than they've missed with that, in terms of sales at least.

Switch backwards compatibility would be the deal-maker but from what I've read (basically that MVG video) various things with the chips might make that difficult with game cards - seems sensible to keep the same store and library but you never know.

Although it'll probably end up at a price point that I can't justify so who am I to demand

oggyraiding

Quote from: bgmnts on July 31, 2023, 07:02:19 PM*the gimmick is that real time passes as you play it in real time. Have Nintendo attempted some kind of scratch and sniff type gimmick yet? Maybe in a cooking party game.

Not a console, but the US release of Earthbound came with scratch and sniff cards.

Pink Gregory

the one thing that links Nintendo to John Waters

Kelvin

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 31, 2023, 07:25:34 PMYou say stupid controller gimmicks but they've hit more often than they've missed with that, in terms of sales at least.

Wii U and Switch are the only controllers I consider to be genuinely crap, Wii U pad was okay, but they never came up with any great uses for that 2nd screen. Joys-cons are probably popular in families with several kids, but if you can afford a Pro Controller you'd never use them. Plus, the real gimmick was that "HD" vibration effect they used for three games then shelved.   

QuoteSwitch backwards compatibility would be the deal-maker but from what I've read (basically that MVG video) various things with the chips might make that difficult with game cards - seems sensible to keep the same store and library but you never know.

I've noticed a real "backwards compatibility or bust" tone to comments about the new console, so that's probably going to be a sticking point initially. I'd be shocked if it was backwards compatible, though. Switch wasn't and that never suffered, in fact Nintendo have done very nicely selling us the same old games at full price year on year.

Pink Gregory

Switch isn't backwards compatible because it doesn't use disc media for a reason though, surely.

I think they could take the hit.  Seems unlikely that they'd erase the eShop but the people who want to play Switch games with a performance boost can't be high enough to dent the sales.

Rodan

Quote from: Kelvin on July 31, 2023, 07:00:49 PMAre you one of those people who only likes 3D Mario and Zelda but will buy the console and then moan they don't have enough games?

Yes mate. Looking forward to the new cycle.

I just hope they finish porting all the Zeldas before they ditch the Switch.

oggyraiding

If it is a follow up to the Switch, I'd like to see two models (like Series X/S, PS5 disc/no-disc). A handheld with a dock, and a traditional console without a screen. I almost never played my Switch in handheld, but I appreciate many people did. If I can pay a bit less to not have the screen and handheld elements that would work for me. Backwards compatibility also a big thing for me. If PS5 and Xbox can both be BC with last gen consoles, Nintendo really ought to. I don't fancy buying Mario Kart 8 for a third time.

Memorex MP3

Switch joy cons double up as an extremely portable dual analogue pad for my laptop, which is enough for me to think they're great.

Switch had a fuckton of Wii U and last gen games to port over to it for people who didn't bother playing them on a home console, as well as really maximizing the potential of the handheld indie audience that was previously keeping the Vita alive. Not sure the successor is gonna have even half as enticing of a library, are there even that many massively successful current gen exclusives they could get? Street Fighter 6 is all I can think of atm

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Apparently Nintendo aims to make a profit on every unit sold from day one, whereas the other companies take a loss on every unit, at least for the first few years until the components become cheaper. I'd like to see them reverse that policy, because then they could put some cutting edge tech in their consoles, or at least something approaching current gen standards. Oh, and if you're going to use joycons again, sort them the fuck out and make them decent and not drifty this time.

Gimmick: tits

oggyraiding

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on July 31, 2023, 09:09:44 PMSwitch joy cons double up as an extremely portable dual analogue pad for my laptop, which is enough for me to think they're great.

Switch had a fuckton of Wii U and last gen games to port over to it for people who didn't bother playing them on a home console, as well as really maximizing the potential of the handheld indie audience that was previously keeping the Vita alive. Not sure the successor is gonna have even half as enticing of a library, are there even that many massively successful current gen exclusives they could get? Street Fighter 6 is all I can think of atm

Microsoft has said that if they acquire Activision Blizzard, they pledge to release Call of Duty games on Nintendo consoles, to prove they're not creating an Xbox monopoly. Warzone on a Nintendo console might sway some people.

Kelvin

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on July 31, 2023, 09:09:44 PMSwitch joy cons double up as an extremely portable dual analogue pad for my laptop, which is enough for me to think they're great.

Switch had a fuckton of Wii U and last gen games to port over to it for people who didn't bother playing them on a home console, as well as really maximizing the potential of the handheld indie audience that was previously keeping the Vita alive. Not sure the successor is gonna have even half as enticing of a library, are there even that many massively successful current gen exclusives they could get?

I reckon the recent spate of remakes (Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario RPG) are the replacements for Wii U ports moving forward. Get an old 3DS game, do the graphics up a bit and sell it for £50. 

Memorex MP3

Quote from: oggyraiding on July 31, 2023, 09:22:13 PMMicrosoft has said that if they acquire Activision Blizzard, they pledge to release Call of Duty games on Nintendo consoles, to prove they're not creating an Xbox monopoly. Warzone on a Nintendo console might sway some people.
once the actual acquisition goes through they can interpret that however they want I imagine. Switch versions just being reskins of ones from 10 years ago and the like. They'd have the stink of those Fifa games for ps1 released years into the ps2's life

Quote from: Kelvin on July 31, 2023, 10:00:08 PMI reckon the recent spate of remakes (Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario RPG) are the replacements for Wii U ports moving forward. Get an old 3DS game, do the graphics up a bit and sell it for £50. 
That feels a bit more like those 3DS EOL ports to me, the success of the Prime release might make it more of a focus.

Thursday

Quote from: Kelvin on July 31, 2023, 07:00:49 PMAre you one of those people who only likes 3D Mario and Zelda but will buy the console and then moan they don't have enough games?

Not quite but considering we've had a new Zelda, I do wonder what games it would have at launch. I guess we'd be due a new Mario by then, maybe that new Metroid Prime that's in development hell would release with it? (No far too optimistic.)

Pink Gregory

Launches with a new Captain Toad and a sequel to Arms

Kelvin

Quote from: Thursday on August 01, 2023, 09:44:25 AMNot quite but considering we've had a new Zelda, I do wonder what games it would have at launch. I guess we'd be due a new Mario by then, maybe that new Metroid Prime that's in development hell would release with it? (No far too optimistic.)

Both 3D Mario and Mario Kart 10 are long overdue, so I assume we'll see one at launch and the other within 12 months of the launch. Metroid will have to be cross platform I think, as they announced it for Switch. But I assume it will also be out within 12 months of the launch.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on July 31, 2023, 07:54:55 PMSwitch isn't backwards compatible because it doesn't use disc media for a reason though, surely.

I think they could take the hit.  Seems unlikely that they'd erase the eShop but the people who want to play Switch games with a performance boost can't be high enough to dent the sales.

And also only 487 people owned a Wii U and they were all, to a man, absolute fucking mugs who'd just rebuy the games anyway.

Switch, on the other hand, has sold over 900 billion units and there's now an expectation set by pretty much every other platform that a software library will carry forward unless the form factor and input method prohibits them from doing so.

bgmnts

Quote from: oggyraiding on July 31, 2023, 07:44:06 PMNot a console, but the US release of Earthbound came with scratch and sniff cards.

That's brilliant!

Does sound like an idea from a bygone age of gimmicks where you still had booklets and cases but I do think it could work!

I'm pretty sure Nintendo still do try and incorporate tangible products in their games don't they? Didn't they have those little figures you put on your controller and you could play as that character in Smash or did I dream that?

oggyraiding

Quote from: bgmnts on August 01, 2023, 01:26:24 PMI'm pretty sure Nintendo still do try and incorporate tangible products in their games don't they? Didn't they have those little figures you put on your controller and you could play as that character in Smash or did I dream that?

Yeah, Amiibos. Think there's two for every Smash Ultimate character, then lots of assorted ones that tie in with various games. Like the Zelda ones, tapping a Zelda series figure to the controller on Breath of the Wild and you get some items. They're generally pretty well made for the price. A typical Smash character Amiibo is like £12, and the quality is decent.

Don't think any of them are compulsory in a game (like Skylanders and Lego Dimensions which required you to own the physical products), but they're a cute little extra. Almost like mini-DLCs attached to a physical statue.

madhair60

i think remaking Luigi's Mansion 2 is A Good Thing, because that game is fucking awesome and the idea of playing it with LM3 fidelity is a joyous one

shoulders

Pink Gregory

I'm not sniffy about rereleases; when I had my Gamecube/DS/3DS/Wii/WiiU I wasn't an adult and the occasional used game up to about £15 was all I could manage, so naturally there's a lot of stuff that was rare then and is rare now that it'd good to be able to get around.  The price points aren't great but it's up to me as a consumer to make that decision.

Do think it's weird when people ditch their old consoles, I've traded in games in the past that I've regretted getting rid of but never a console.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: Pink Gregory on August 01, 2023, 02:55:14 PMDo think it's weird when people ditch their old consoles, I've traded in games in the past that I've regretted getting rid of but never a console.
What's a good reason for keeping an original xbox?

I've a modded ps3 stuffed with games which is also my only blu ray player and combined with my projector is my only native 3d compatible device. Even with those very valid use cases it does just feel like a big waste of space a lot of the time.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on August 01, 2023, 06:16:59 PMWhat's a good reason for keeping an original Xbox

the backwards compatibility list is fairly limited, I've got a bunch of stuff that won't run on newer Xboxes.

Granted there's not a lot of reason to keep an Xbox 360 because there are few games didn't get brought forward digitally.

Plus I like original hardware. 

bgmnts

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on August 01, 2023, 06:16:59 PMWhat's a good reason for keeping an original xbox?

If you emulate on pc then no reason beyond sentiment.

The only games that may only he available on xbox original would be:

Brute Force
Dead or Alive 3
Jet Set Radio Future
Blinx the Time Sweeper
Dino Crisis 3
Kung Fu Chaos
Mad Dash Racing

Unsure if the X-Men Legends games, LotR Third Age and SSX Tricky are available backwards compatible on PS3 but they aren't on Xbone.

Pink Gregory

PS2 and Xbox ports are nowhere near as equivalent as the generation above though.

Silent Hill 2 looks noticeably different, I think, for example.

Memorex MP3

Outside of games with peripherals most of the generation emulates at increased resolutions on most modern laptops as far as I'm aware. Suspect there could be scenarios where ps2 emulation is so far ahead of Xbox that the inferior ps2 versions of some games may actually beat the Xbox versions

PS2 has a decent number of games where the pressure sensitive buttons may warrant using the original tech (or at least a Dual Shock 3 with the right drivers).