Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:57:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Street Fighter VI

Started by Swoz_MK, February 21, 2022, 10:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

It's probably Marisa, the slightest hint of a strong woman who isn't designed to cater to the male gaze and the warped little crybabies go nuts.

Spiteface

Quote from: oggyraiding on May 03, 2023, 04:30:57 PMI see a lot of comments on Street Fighter Facebook posts calling it "Woke Fighter". And I don't know why. Could it be that there are a lot of women? But there's been lots of women for years. Lots of POC? Again, previous rosters have been relatively diverse. Marisa being a strong woman? Perhaps. Cammy's wearing clothes? Whoever their previous favourite is is not in the game therefore they're lashing out?

Still with exposed midriff and leggings that are tight as fuck. And have you noticed the jiggle physics on her AND Chun Li?

So yeah, I don't believe that SF has gone "woke" or whatever buzzword people use these days.

I remember people saying similar things about Mortal Kombat once the women in that game stopped looking like stripper versions of themselves.

MK11 has some of the best character models ever for an MK game. And the outfits make more sense.

Kankurette

Yeah, people were calling Mortal Kombat 11 woke because Kitana had smaller tits and looked more Asian, and because of everything that happened in Jax's ending. Gamerbros also seem to think putting slightly more clothes on a female character instead of having her fight in a bikini and hotpants is woke, if Fate/Grand Order is anything to go by. Fanboys were complaining about Pope Joan not having a sexy outfit. There are a gajillion scantily clad girls in FGO, you can live if ONE female character isn't walking around in her underwear. Go roll for Shuten-douji or Chloe the 12-year-old sex pest or something.

There's a black girl in the new SF game so I guess that's what the 'woke' bit is about, because there are no black people in Street Fighter, who is Balrog/Dudley/Birdie/DeeJay, we just don't know.
Quote from: samadriel on May 05, 2023, 01:08:38 PMIt's probably Marisa, the slightest hint of a strong woman who isn't designed to cater to the male gaze and the warped little crybabies go nuts.
Is she that huge beefy woman with helmet hair? She STRONK. Actually, I remember MK fans shitting the bed over Sheeva as well, even though her new design was AMAZING.

bgmnts

There was a black African woman in SF3 if I recall, but that was before the world went mental.

Swoz_MK

Open Beta goes live 19th to the 22nd.

Luke
Jamie
Chun-Li
Juri
Kimberly
Guile
Ryu
Ken

Kankurette

Elena! I can't believe I forgot her.

oggyraiding

Elena has fairly light skin depending on what palette swap you opt for, blue eyes, and white hair, so you could forgive people not flagging her up as Kenyan. Also she's in a bikini so people may overlook her race because she's somewhat sexualised.

Kimberly has the angle of having a queer POC voicing her, which may infuriate the bigots in the Street Fighter community.

I'm salty there's nobody in a mask, I tend to gravitate to masked characters like King, Vega, Voldo, Q. I just think masks are neat.

Kankurette

I always hated Vega. Not because of his mask but because the prick always climbed the wall and then landed on my character (usually Chun-Li, she and Dhalsim were my faves).

I've just remembered another reason why this is being called woke fighter 6.

samadriel

Quote from: oggyraiding on May 09, 2023, 07:47:04 PMKimberly has the angle of having a queer POC voicing her, which may infuriate the bigots in the Street Fighter community.
I'm not sure how central the idiots are to Street Fighter fandom or the FGC; maybe I just have a well-curated Youtube, but I never see anyone from the FGC whinging about "woke" or ever even making note of a character's ethnicity, "sexiness" or sexuality (I never saw anyone mention Poison's trans identity). FGC people tend to care about movesets, and maybe perceived "badass"-ness (Akuma) or difficulty to fight (people hate Blanka!). I suspect these "woke fighter" idiots are so far outside the FGC they wouldn't even be called "casuals".

Mister Six

Played the demo of this, and was surprised to find it had some kind of pseudo-RPG setup where you run around an ersatz New York, challenging people to fights. It was kind of cute, but also utterly hideous, with incredibly low-res textures and absurd pop-up. I assume it's because I have a PS4, but eight-year-old Yakuza games look better than this, so god knows.

greenman

Quote from: samadriel on May 12, 2023, 04:16:51 AMI'm not sure how central the idiots are to Street Fighter fandom or the FGC; maybe I just have a well-curated Youtube, but I never see anyone from the FGC whinging about "woke" or ever even making note of a character's ethnicity, "sexiness" or sexuality (I never saw anyone mention Poison's trans identity). FGC people tend to care about movesets, and maybe perceived "badass"-ness (Akuma) or difficulty to fight (people hate Blanka!). I suspect these "woke fighter" idiots are so far outside the FGC they wouldn't even be called "casuals".

It helps I spose that the original SF2 formula was of a diverse globe trotting roster and built up plenty of female characters in the years afterwards.

Maybe also that its not really a scene with as many casual gamers, generally the "anti woke" crowd in pretty much anything from gaming to movie franchises often seem like they only ever had a more casual interest. The more hardcore end would as you say tend to be obsessed much more with the mechanics of the game.

oggyraiding

Quote from: Mister Six on May 27, 2023, 09:23:00 PMPlayed the demo of this, and was surprised to find it had some kind of pseudo-RPG setup where you run around an ersatz New York, challenging people to fights. It was kind of cute, but also utterly hideous, with incredibly low-res textures and absurd pop-up. I assume it's because I have a PS4, but eight-year-old Yakuza games look better than this, so god knows.
You get to travel to other locations, so far Italy and France have been confirmed. Seen some footage of Dhalsim in World Tour mode so maybe India too.

People are complaining about the mode online, saying it's shit and a waste of resources, but the main criticism of SFV was lack of meaningful single player content, so Capcom literally can not win.

Mister Six

Well "fans" complain about anything and everything, don't they? The fuckers will buy the thing anyway.

I'm mostly just surprised that a game that looks so good in its canned animations looks so poor in gameplay. Pedestrians - including stationary interactable characters - materialise about ten feet from the player. Textures are incredibly low res. I don't usually care about this stuff but it really took me out of the game. I'll probably pick it up cheap whenever I eventually get a PS5, if it's better optimised on that platform.

oggyraiding

Reviews out, OpenCritic score currently 92. Compared to Street Fighter V's 75%.

Capcom have been on a roll these last few years.

Street Fighter V's launch was really, really rough, mind. In it's current state, it's easily worth ~90% too.

samadriel

I fought an okay Dee Jay as Guile, and the Hori controller I bought for the game is absolutely terrible; the old Xbox controller I played Street Fighter IV on had a more responsive d-pad. Out of about 30 matches, I won 2 rounds (not matches, rounds) ; trying to convince a sonic boom or a flash kick to come out when requested was a joke.

I've decided to buy a Fightbox,  as I've always wanted to learn hitbox-style controls, and the controller I've got is clearly not up to snuff. I thought Hori were meant to be quality gear! Stay away.

oggyraiding

Quote from: samadriel on June 03, 2023, 03:32:01 PMI fought an okay Dee Jay as Guile, and the Hori controller I bought for the game is absolutely terrible; the old Xbox controller I played Street Fighter IV on had a more responsive d-pad. Out of about 30 matches, I won 2 rounds (not matches, rounds) ; trying to convince a sonic boom or a flash kick to come out when requested was a joke.

I've decided to buy a Fightbox,  as I've always wanted to learn hitbox-style controls, and the controller I've got is clearly not up to snuff. I thought Hori were meant to be quality gear! Stay away.

Which Hori controller? I was eyeing up a Fighting Commander but the reviews were dire and I don't trust third party controllers even if they're from a reputable brand.

samadriel

Fighting Commander, that's right. I like having six face buttons,  having hated the diamond configuration since the SNES days, but the d-pad is useless whether you're playing a charge or command character.

oggyraiding

Feel like World Tour is making me a worse player. Mixing and matching special moves and supers means I'm not actually learning a character to be competitive with online, just a hodgepodge of disparate stuff. So far Marisa's fighting style is my favourite, absolutely hate Lily's.

Swoz_MK

Only had half an hour or so before work yesterday so played through to the end of Marisa's intermediate combo trials. She's pretty ridiculous. When I eventually get some time on Monday I'll have a pop with someone else, possibly Dee Jay, seems more straightforward and closer to how I like to play.

Manon is daft and if they don't patch out her ability to keep medals between rounds fairly soon I'd be very surprised.

Spiteface

Bought it on Friday.

I don't like World Tour mode. Or the "Modern" control style.

I'm stuck in my ways at this point. Ryu and a Fightstick. And I'll most likely be firing this up for online fun on Weekends.

oggyraiding

Issue with World Tour - the move limitations for the avatar are poorly thought out. For example, using Marisa's style I can't actually have both Phalanx (QCF+punch) and Quadriga (QCF+kick) at the same time - you are limited to only a single QCF move be it a punch or kick. Seems very silly to be using Marisa's style and not being able to actually use all the moves for her you unlock.

Spiteface

I'm having fun just fighting online with this one. Just cannot be arsed with World Tour mode, at least they haven't tried to do a cinematic story mode after last time.

Getting used to using a fightstick again, too. Can't really use a Fightstick in World Tour mode.

Really want to track down a Hori Fighting Edge, just because I want to try a Noir layout, and I liked the one I had for about a week until it developed a fault. Lovely bit of kit.

oggyraiding

I see footage of high level players using characters like Juri and Manon and absolutely dominating. Then when I try them I get rekt by level 5 CPU. Can only really play Blanka and Marisa relatively successfully. Ken/Ryu/Luke also fairly decent but their characters are boring.

Roxy Robinson

This is great, vast improvement on V and bringing back some of what I enjoyed about my SF4 Ken plus some little extras. I'm still getting my head round the FDAC equivalent, doesn't feel natural to me yet but I'm enjoying playing my defensive/explosive style and getting the feel for DI.

Only thing that's a bit shit is the number of people who quit after one game. I don't know whether it's more new people who don't understand that getting beaten is all part of the learning experience but it makes me roll my eyes. Likewise, someone scraping a win against me and then quitting immediately is very lame. We've just had a good match, let's have another, build up your nervous resistance.

Many people online are bad losers nowadays, perhaps because of the tendency towards power fantasy games so they have no emotional resilience.

samadriel

I've had a taste of victory as Cammy now, I can't wait to get my Fightbox and see how I do when I can do more than a Spiral Arrow at will. Marisa is kind of fun too.

Spiteface

bought one of these:

https://hori.co.uk/fighting-stick-alpha-for-playstation-5/

Easy access reminds me of the MadCatz TE2+ which I also have, but I wanted a noir layout to try.

There is also a SF6 edition out, which I was tempted by for the purple buttons and sides, but it still has Street Fighter 6 printed on it, too.

Swoz_MK

My old PS4 stick is disconnecting every now and again, occasionally mid-match which is my excuse for languishing in Silver *** when I should be MASTER OBVIOUSLY BECAUSE MARISA IS EASY MODE etc etc.

Had my eye on that very same HORI but button layout would take some getting used to for me. A new stick may help my fucking Drive Rush inputs though, or could be my old hands. Qanba is so tempting but so is not getting a clip round the ear off 'er indoors.

Roxy Robinson

This game isn't nearly as woke as people were saying. Cammy's classic outfit reveals a great deal of buttock, maybe more buttock even than 2B in Nier: Automata when you self-destruct your skirt. In short, if woke means not seeing disproportionate amount of buttock, I can't in all good faith claim that this game should be called Woke Fighter 6.