Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:27:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lion King remake

Started by madhair60, July 11, 2019, 09:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Bad Ambassador

The AV Club has absolutely ripped this to shreds.

"All the pleasures are not just secondhand but diminished. We're watching a hollow bastardization of a blockbuster, at once completely reliant on the audience's pre-established affection for its predecessor and strangely determined to jettison much of what made it special."

"Joyless, artless, and maybe soulless"
"The lack of expressiveness becomes a real liability"
"Basically scene for scene the same plot"
Most damningly:
"The Oscar-winning "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" now unfolds during the day"

Twed

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on July 11, 2019, 05:21:27 PM
"The Oscar-winning "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" now unfolds during the day"
"Can you feel the love at 11:45am this Friday? I will share an iCal"

bgmnts

Why get mad just dont watch it?

Dont have an opinion or feel anything about it just dont watch it.

Twed

Same reason you made that post

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on July 11, 2019, 11:57:03 PM

you know what? fair fucks. got me bang to rights there.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: bgmnts on July 11, 2019, 11:57:03 PM

jesus fucking christ fuck off out of it. people come here to rant. it's too late for him to un-see it, you dick.

i.o.w:
why get mad, just don't comment?
don't have an opinion or feel anything about it, just don't comment.

madhair60

It's a fair enough response to a recent chat in the Gremlins thread. I think it's a bit different, but I said essentially the same thing to St Eddie (I was reading more anger into the posts than was actually present)

phantom_power

If there is something to criticise then it is fair enough to do so but when there is nothing but rumour and assumption, less so

a duncandisorderly

I was triggered. getting flashbacks to my wikipedia rantings. "you what? we're wasting the internet?"

Sebastian Cobb

I've not even seen the first lion king all the way through, beat that.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 12, 2019, 10:35:04 AM

hakuna matata old bean.

phantom_power

Me neither. I saw an interview with Donald Glover on Jimmy Kimmel and they had a clip from the film. It did look very odd seeing photorealistic animals singing Hakuna Matata

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: phantom_power on July 12, 2019, 10:45:39 AM
Me neither. I saw an interview with Donald Glover on Jimmy Kimmel and they had a clip from the film. It did look very odd seeing photorealistic animals singing Hakuna Matata

Yeah, that clip didn't look good at all. Seems to be confirmed in the AV Club review. Glover is belting out this number and it's just an expressionless lion moving its mouth. It's a jarring disconnect. Nice to see critics not just lauding it due to nostalgia, but I'm sure audiences and Disney fanatics will be creaming all over it.

phantom_power

Donald Glover can't get no luck when it comes to breaking into blockbuster films can he, apart from that minor role in Spiderman

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: phantom_power on July 12, 2019, 11:04:38 AM
Donald Glover can't get no luck when it comes to breaking into blockbuster films can he, apart from that minor role in Spiderman

He needs to make his own movie.

Pseudopath

Quote from: phantom_power on July 12, 2019, 10:45:39 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph_YQEn-z30

Christ...you're not joking. It looks like that old World's First Singing Lion meme.

phantom_power

How far into the development do you think they realised it didn't work? Because they must realise surely? Maybe they though they could keep tweaking the CGI until it looked better and then 80% in there was that dawning realisation that they were fucked.

Shaky

Jesus, Favreau's directing in the clips so far is atrocious. Completely perfunctory, rote camera movements as each CG character moves from A to B to C.

Dex Sawash

I've decided to not be so critical of things I have no real interest. Genital mutilation; it's just not for me, I reckon.

ZoyzaSorris

The first one was bad. I have a feeling this isnt for me.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 12, 2019, 10:35:04 AM

I've only seen Lion King One-and-a-Half.

Billy

Which from memory was retitled to just Lion King 3 (at least in the UK) which given the plot would have been even more confusing.

bgmnts

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 12, 2019, 10:02:10 AM
jesus fucking christ fuck off out of it. people come here to rant. it's too late for him to un-see it, you dick.

i.o.w:
why get mad, just don't comment?
don't have an opinion or feel anything about it, just don't comment.

:(

Urinal Cake

Jesus everyone going on and on about Beyonce. Eichner seems like the only good thing about this.

I think for the world to improve, Beyonce must fail. This is the first step.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: bgmnts on July 13, 2019, 12:57:55 AM
:(

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on July 12, 2019, 10:34:23 AM
I was triggered. getting flashbacks to my wikipedia rantings. "you what? we're wasting the internet?"

Chriddof

Something that's definitely worth discussing are the weird, inexplicable mental gymnastics Disney are going through pretending it's not animated:

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/dont-let-disney-gaslight-you-the-lion-king-is-an-animated-film-heres-the-teaser-166897.html

QuoteThe Walt Disney Company continues to try and mislead audiences by suggesting that the film is live action. In the Youtube video description, they state, "From Disney Live Action," and while it may technically be true that the film is from their live-action division, it doesn't take a scholar to look at the trailer and realize that there are no live-action performances onscreen.

It's a mystery to us why the company is trying to gaslight audiences and convince them that this is a live-action film. Are they expecting audiences to believe that that's Donald Glover in make-up as Simba in the image at the top of the post? Photoreal animation is still animation – and even though there's plenty of virtual production techniques, performance capture, and perhaps even cinematography used in the film, those are still being applied to a final result that is principally animated.

QuoteThe film's vfx supervisor is Rob Legato and the lead animation/vfx house is MPC.

BritishHobo

I saw a clip on Facebook of Timon and Pumbaa finding Simba, and it just looked like one of those comedy clips where people dub silly voices over wildlife documentary footage. Weird as fuck.

Twit 2

Disney gaslighting? I suppose the audience are triggered? Why don't these internet reviewers go to psychiatric hospitals and prisons and shit in mouths of victims? Gaslighting, indeed. Fuck off.

Replies From View

What's gaslighting meant to mean in that context?