Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:41:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The best thing he [Morris] has done?

Started by Lumiere, July 03, 2004, 06:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fur Q

Yeah, 4ft car was fantastic. I like fairly short snappy sketches like that. I also love the 'please bring him back' song by the parents who had lost their son. And the poppadum violence thingy is great too. Lovely stuff.
I don't really find the Kilroy thing funny though...

Lumiere

It's odd, Fur Q, because I was just watching that Rok TV sketch specifically just now. Taht has to be one of the best things Morris has ever done. I know Ianucci and Baynham probably wrote some/all of it, but it's so well put together...the 100% perfect clothing/accent from Teuport, the Dylan spot that my stupid father (a diehard Dylan fanatic) actually believed when he first saw it...Sukie, the perfect Nirvana parody, the Ian Curtis thing (tasteless but hilarious), whole Fur Q bit and then the shot up Madonna's vagina. Perfect.

DJ One Record

I saw a few episodes of Jam about a year or so before I got into Blue Jam and my two favourite sketches were Range Rover Urinal and Threatening Gestures On The Wrong Day, both of which were original sketches. In that sense, I think it's a shame that Jam wasn't composed entirely of original sketches seeing as they were clearly the ones the most geared up to work through a visual medium.

Darrell

It's clearly On The Hour.

The first series (and the special) particularly, if we're getting into specifics. The second is really great, but there are a few moments of blatant first series-aping which veer into the formulaic at times.

Lumiere

Quote from: "Darrell"It's clearly On The Hour.

The first series (and the special) particularly, if we're getting into specifics. The second is really great, but there are a few moments of blatant first series-aping which veer into the formulaic at times.

I retract my original statements about 'On The Hour' - I just downloaded all the material available from this site and it's most excellent. Very, very funny.

RHX

Quote from: "DJ One Record"I saw a few episodes of Jam about a year or so before I got into Blue Jam and my two favourite sketches were Range Rover Urinal and Threatening Gestures On The Wrong Day, both of which were original sketches. In that sense, I think it's a shame that Jam wasn't composed entirely of original sketches seeing as they were clearly the ones the most geared up to work through a visual medium.

It seems that most of the original Jam sketches have an almost childish quality to them, hilarious sketches that would work in any sketch show - the unused burglar sketch made me laugh more than a lot of other shows' removed footage does, and I could easily picture that being done on The Sketch Show (although with canned laughter and "wacky" acting, I doubt it would work as well).

TJ

butnut

Quote from: "RHX"It seems that most of the original Jam sketches have an almost childish quality to them, hilarious sketches that would work in any sketch show - the unused burglar sketch made me laugh more than a lot of other shows' removed footage does, and I could easily picture that being done on The Sketch Show (although with canned laughter and "wacky" acting, I doubt it would work as well).

I always liked that feature where you could add canned laughter to the Jam sketches on the DVD. It was fascinating how it completely changed the atmposhere of the sketches.

Jemble Fred

In answer to the thread's title:

Married a lovely voiceover artist and brought up some splendid children. Something to be proud of.

Not being sarky.

darkglobe

Quote from: "TJ"
Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"I think if you ever need 'convincing' that a show is good, it's not going to happen.

I'm not looking to be convinced that it was good - as you say, that isn't going to happen. What I am looking for, though, are convincing explanations of why other people thought it was 'the best satire ever that needed to be made' and so on, as most of them are full of gaping holes. To be fair, you've posted some above average attempts at explanation above, which I'll come back to in a second...

my thoughts on the bes...
It was a perfectly timed peice of satire, that went against everything the media wanted, the reaction by the tabs made it worth while and it is, in my humble, the best satire ever made.
however, is it the best work morris produced?
no, of course not..
that would be The Day Today.
I remember seeing that for the time, and ever since that moment i simply cannot watch the news because it highlights the fakeness and smuggness of the presenter-reporters...
just my cents worth.

shit as fuck

The Day Today.  

As funny today as it was when I was a mere 12 years old.  And vice-versa.

Brasseye comes 2nd, pipping Blue Jam to the runner up position mostly by virtue of a report on Gypsy encampments on yesterday's Newsnight in which the correspondent was shown being chased through some fields by some coppers.  Very unprofessional editing but quite hilarious nonetheless.

It struck me as being very Brasseyeish and reinforced my respect for that series.

slim

I used to think The Day Today but I'm starting to warm to his radio work. Perhaps it's funnier because I listen to it illicitly at work under the guise of music occasionally, or perhaps it's just funny.

I don't know the radio stuff well enough yet to pick a favourite, but something may soon overtake The Day Today. Then again, I haven't watched that in a while, so I could change my mind again.

Ach! It's too difficult. I like almost all of it. Yep, even My Wrongs.

Edit: Missed an it.

TotalNightmare

I liked all the animal impressions he did!

Cambrian Times

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"In answer to the thread's title:

Married a lovely voiceover artist and brought up some splendid children. Something to be proud of.

Not being sarky.

What a simply marvellous thing to say, dahling!

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"
Quote from: "Jemble Fred"In answer to the thread's title:

Not being sarky.

What a simply marvellous thing to say, dahling!

Indeed, quite a sweetie, he seems to be!

I'm torn between GLR, On the Hour and Brasseye.  I much prefer On The Hour to The Day Today as it has Wayne Carr and Alan's wife rising from the dead, and to me has a slightly siller edge which I'm always enamoured by.  I love GLR because he's just so energetic and creative,  and Brasseye because it was more savage than The Day Today and I think it worked better that way.  Although the interview with Darcus Howe is embarassing, it didn't work at all and always sticks in my mind.

Koosh Koosh!

The Radio 1 music shows, probably. I don't think I've laughed harder at anything on television or on the radio. That and Morris has quite an excellent and varied taste in music.

I'm particularly fond of the "we ain't got no fucking idea" cut up featured in Episode 11. Oh, and all the usual tortoise/stuffed duck/letter story bits, obviously.

In terms of a television runner up, I'll probably have to go for "brassEYE". I've recently been rewatching some of it, and I've found that the weakest episode ("Decline") was much more agreeable on a second viewing.

Oh, I'd like to add Why Bother in, and it's mainly because having two of my comic icons (there, I said it) talking to each other down my ear is exhilarating.

Rats

Oh, that was great. I nearly disowned my friend after he sat stoney faced through the lot and said "it's just some stoned bloke wittering on"
Wittering on? I ask ya.