Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:24:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I've Got Something Comedy-Related To Say

Started by Jemble Fred, January 29, 2005, 02:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

Hey, hi everyone!

I felt the need to pass on this little bit of jollity, for all those who avoid the internet comedy news world. It doesn't deserve a thread of its own, so here's a thought. Why don't we try and keep all interesting but otherwise piddling bits of news and observations in one place? There are loads of three-post threads about which could have gone in here. Keep everything neat and stuff, making this a bit of a drop-in centre for vaguely useless comedy gossip and so on. Or perhaps you could use it to advertise your internet radio show or something without feeling like an utter cunt, or, I dunno, put a shout-out for an allowable vid swap for something not commercially available? I'm not sure, you'd have to ask the brill maintainers of this site.

I'm kinda thinking – the CC equivalent of that drawer you've got with rubber bands, takeaway adverts and crap in it. And those little black rubber things that go neep neep neep.

Anyway, that story:

QuoteHeckled off

Davidson abandons show

Jim Davidson stormed off stage last night rather than face a heckler.

The comedian slunk off after a man in the audience of his show in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, accused him of stealing his girlfriend 30 years ago.

And even though Davidson had not even started his set, he walked straight offstage, prompting a lot more heckling.

Speaking from the wings, the 50-year-old comic then told the audience: "This isn't going to work is it folks?" and refused to return to the microphone.

One member of the audience at the £19-a-head show told today's Mirror that the heckler yelled: "The last time you were here you ran off with my girlfriend."

The man added: "Davidson just stared at him and walked off."

In his defence, the comedian told the paper: "They were drunk. I waited in the wings but there was no way I could carry on. It ruined the show for the other 800 people in the audience."
David caused controversy in 2003 by refusing to perform a show because there were disabled people in the front row.

If this is a bad idea, trash the thread with my big hairy apologies. Ta!

Neil

I think the forum is fine as it is, actually, and I hate these all-encompassing threads as they very rarely generate actual discussion.

skibz

Well, you could rename it "Isn't Jim Davidson a cunt?" or something, as I'd be quite willing to discuss that :)

Despite there being a general consensus that he's a complete dickhead, it still amazes me how my opinion of him can still be lowered after every story I read about him in the newspapers. The man just doesn't have any kind of redeeming features at all - one minute he's complaining that he can't do his routine because of some disabled people, then storming off because of a single] (not even particularly good) heckle. At this rate, venues just aren't going to want to book him any more - it's a simple question of reliability, and Davidson isn't in any kind of position to be acting like a prima donna. The cunt.

Jon

Do you think if we all clubbed together we could hire someone to go to every gig he does and shout out this accusation?  Whatever it cost it'd be a small price to pay for making sure he never works again.

Neil

I think I'll just pretend this thread is a parody, and that you're all pretending to be Chortle-posters.

Village Branson

You've got to admit he's good at what he does.

imitationleather

Yeah, he was ace at making me not want to watch The Generation Game anymore.

By the way, is that coming back or what? I heard that Paul O'Grady (I think) was lined up as the new host but nothing's been said for a very long time. Has it been put to bed? Shame, I loved watching it as a kid.

Actually this thread might be a good place to ask something I didn't think warranted a thread of its own. Did anyone else see Tony Slattery on This Morning yesterday? He was plugging his new drama show but the interview eventually turned to the subject of mental illness, depression and his breakdown. He was very open, honest and sensible about it but he didn't half look and act like a terribly broken man - in fact he appeared to still be terribly unwell and I found him quite an upsetting figure to watch, he did the same Slattery type comedy talking he always used to do but it didn't work somehow and it seemed to make him appear even more tragic.

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

Quote from: "Village Branson"You've got to admit he's good at what he does.

Er, why? I think he's a ghastly comedian, devoid of talent, who panders to the lowest common denominator. You see a comedian cracking gags to an adoring audience? I see a ringmaster throwing fish to his seals.

Jon wrote:

QuoteDo you think if we all clubbed together we could hire someone to go to every gig he does and shout out this accusation? Whatever it cost it'd be a small price to pay for making sure he never works again.

Good idea. Or everyone who hates Davidson on this board could buy out his next gig and when he comes on stage, no one claps and everyone remains silent throughout the performance. See how long it takes him to crack.

Quote from: "Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer"

Er, why? I think he's a ghastly comedian, devoid of talent, who panders to the lowest common denominator. You see a comedian cracking gags to an adoring audience? I see a ringmaster throwing fish to his seals.

I think he was parodying a chortle poster Hoog.

Village Branson

Yes, yes I was!

Sorry, there's not much more effort needed to stick a smiley in, and so what if it's not as cool as being so subtle you're mistaken for someone genuine, it's only a throwaway comment on a forum.

Flip that alterways-I'd have been without your pretty funny hate filled reply, so who knows eh?

;)

foxprorawks

Shouldn't he be in Iraq, "entertaining" the troops?  That's what he used to do.

foxprorawks

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"Did anyone else see Tony Slattery on This Morning yesterday? He was plugging his new drama show but the interview eventually turned to the subject of mental illness, depression and his breakdown.

I heard him being interviewed on radio during the week (I think it was Simon Mayo's show on Radio 5 yesterday).  He talked about his breakdown then as well.  You're right, he sounded like a broken man.

pandadeath

Hurrah! My town is good for one thing then! God bless the man whose girlfriend was stolen!

Jemble Fred

I'm sorry to bump this thread (no, I am, after Neil's post I realise it seems pig-headed and provocative) but, again, this doesn't deserve a thread of its own (and the last thing this place needs after the weekend is a load of new threads), but will warm the cockles of some VWs who otherwise might have missed it. It could have gone in the Victoria Wood thread, but it ties in more generally with the CaB "Modern Life Is Rubbish' hypothesis.

QuoteAli G comedy 'laughing at lunatics'

Click to enlarge photo Victoria Wood has attacked Ali G for his "horrible" brand of comedy.

The comedienne said his spoof interviews were the modern-day equivalent of laughing at lunatics.

Ali G - real name Sacha Baron Cohen - has duped dozens of public figures on his Channel 4 show and more recently in the United States.

But Wood, one of British comedy's best-known faces, is not among his fans.

She told the Radio Times: "What I can't bear is something like Ali G, where half the people involved don't know what's going on. I find the endless setting up of 'victims' tiresome.

"With so many good writers and good performers, it's a shame people can't just write a script and have other people learn it.

"It's all got to be done by duping and it's horrible, like laughing at lunatics."

On Da Ali G Show, Baron Cohen targeted the likes of Tony Benn, Sir Teddy Taylor and Judge James Pickles.

He asked Judge Pickles: "Is it all right to murder someone if they call your mum a slag?" and left Benn temporarily speechless by saying: "Do you think people strike just 'cos they is lazy?"

When the show crossed the Atlantic, astronaut Buzz Aldrin was among the interviewees and was asked: "So what's it like to be the second man to walk on the sun?"

Alberon

I wasn't sure an article on Jim Davidson belongs in the comedy section, but I did find that funny.

As for Tony Slattery, he's done a few newspaper interviews where he does sort of describe himself as only just on the road back from his breakdown with still a way to go. There's an interview on the Times website which I can't link to, but here's a quote.

QuoteFor Slattery, regaining his sanity has been a complex process. "I've realised that if you can just chuck out all your compulsions, all your intrusive, destructive thoughts, you're so much better off. Just let them go and you can learn to fly a little." Not that Slattery has exactly earned his wings yet. "But I am, at least, hopping down the runway," he smiles. "And that's a start."

TotalNightmare

BIG BOUNCE

...Before moving on to my 'so-called' news, i was wondering why we don't have a COMEDY NEWS thread. One that we can all post to if there are small bits of comedelia that doesn't deserve a whole new thread?

Maybe this will do

anyway...

It seems that in America they are releasing the movie Black Ball as
"National Lampoon's Black Ball" so it ties in with their illustrious output (erm...animal house and vacation and...?). Here is the press blub from IGN.com

February 03, 2005 - Today we've got an exclusive clip from National Lampoon's Black Ball, starring Paul Kaye, James Cromwell and Vince Vaughn...blah fucking blah

The set-up goes like this: There's not much that makes Cliff Starkey (Kaye) want to get out of bed in the morning. Bored with his dead end job, Cliff finds joy in one thing: Lawn Bowls. Since he was a little boy, Cliff has been an expert lawn bowler. But he's a free spirit, shunning the rules and regulations that the town's stuffy, regimented players stick to. One day, Cliff decides it's time to shake things up and hooks up with an agent. He's determined to go all the way to the top in his favorite sport and play for his country, but he knows he has to beat the establishment from within.

Silly? Yes, and that's just the way National Lampoon likes it.

The film also stars Bernard Cribbins, Alice Evans, Imelda Staunton and Johnny Vegas. Mel Smith directed from a script by Tim Firth.

National Lampoon's Black Ball opens in select theaters in February.

(this should appease jemble)

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"(this should appease jemble)

'Snot me you have to worry about, dear boy, it's the hard working fellows what maintain this site.

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"
Quote from: "TotalNightmare"(this should appease jemble)

'Snot me you have to worry about, dear boy, it's the hard working fellows what maintain this site.

rather stick something on the end of an old thread than start a new one for something so pithy...

Shall we play Pooh Sticks?

(i'm whoring that idea a lot at the moment... but i really want to play pooh stick)

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"
(i'm whoring that idea a lot at the moment... but i really want to play pooh stick)

I was starting to think it was your new signature. You're like the Father Jack of CaB with your expostulations...

There are plenty of bridges over the river Avon as it flows through Bath. Next weekend, grab some sticks, and get it out of your system.

You'd think PMs don't exist, wouldn't you? Sorry everyone...

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"
Quote from: "TotalNightmare"

I was starting to think it was your new signature. You're like the Father Jack of CaB with your expostulations...

There are plenty of bridges over the river Avon as it flows through Bath. Next weekend, grab some sticks, and get it out of your system.

You'd think PMs don't exist, wouldn't you? Sorry everyone...

PM's whats dat den?