Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,800
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:04:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Bigger than Hitler, Better than Christ'

Started by Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer, February 06, 2005, 05:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

From Chortle:

QuoteMayall's Tales

Rik Mayall is writing his autobiography, provocatively titled Bigger Than Hitler, Better Than Christ.

It comes after he signed a deal with publishers HarperCollins to tell his tale and is due outy in September.
The book will recount his rise from the earliest days of alternative comedy to established TV star, via the likes of The Young Ones and The New Statesmen.

It is being sold as "the autobiography that will finally tell the truth about the most outrageous man in comedy".

But early versions of the cover blurb also suggest it might not be entirely truthful, promising a story that "blends fact and fiction in a startling and original way".

However, publisher Trevor Dolby told Chortle: "Everything Rik does in his life is genuine and this is certainly a genuine autobiography."

I really, really hope this is more like Autobiography of a Liar (as the title suggests) rather than 300 pages of self-congratulatory onanism. But it doesn't look good, especially with claims like 'It'll tell the truth' and the omninous phrase 'genuine autobiography,' and even 'blends fact and fiction' smells like the usual publisher hype. It's a shame because given a free reign Mayall could probably produce something quite excellent - and let's face it, it'll probably have a photograph of him either giving the 'V' or lounging on a chaise longue smiling affectionately. Anyway, I'll buy it in September and see, and I've got confidence in Mayall as a funny writer (on TV, at least) and at least there's a fairly high possibility that it'll be good fun (it simply must be better than Jim Davidson's loathesome life-story and Pamela Stevenson's Billy).

Any thoughts on this or any other comedian's autobiographies worth reading?

GoochDogHigh5s

Rik Mayall?
Didnt he used to be a reactionary comedian?

neveragain

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

'And the interesting thing about the rushes for Boom Out Go The Lights was that...a huge spaceship landed in the studio!!!'

This could be an infuriating read.