Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:52:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

My public apology to Peep Show

Started by Munday's Chylde, February 15, 2005, 09:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Sorry Peep Show.

I watched the first episode of the first series, came on here and shouted at you all for saying it wasn't shit. Said it was shit. Never watched it again and ignored every thread that sprung up about it.

I just watched the dvd last night and by episode 3 I was hooked. Brilliant brilliant dialogue and wonderfully performed, particularly by the actor who plays Mark who has turned what must have been a life long disability of bug eyes and a stupid voice into a career.

I soon stopped noticing the character p.o.v which annoyed me so much at first (though I still dont think its neccessary) - I laughed plentiful and I even quite fancied Sophie myself.

I'm now looking forward to the second series dvd.

Question: I notice it was created by Andrew O'Connor... I take it thats not the same A O'C who used to host chain, chain, chain chain letters?

Look Around You 2 will not be receiving the same apology.

Thanks for listening.

Mundays.

Beagle 2

QuoteI take it thats not the same A O'C who used to host chain, chain, chain chain letters?

I remember somebody saying it was indeed, they may have been taking the piss like.

Glad you liked it.

Jemble Fred

It's definitely that O'Connor. He has hidden depths.

I've quite liked PS since the first episode – it really is quite good. But I've always put its huge popularity down to the otherwise low quality of comedy on C4, I'm afraid. But that's probably my aversion to cringe comedy talking. And the POV concept inarguably makes PS the absolute ultimate in that vaguely irritaing sub-genre.

The Mumbler

O'Connor retired from presenting over a decade ago.  He had been Britain's Young Magician of the Year as a teenager, then mainstream comedy shows like Copycats on ITV, and then went into quizzes - not just Chain Letters but Talkabout, One To Win (basically the same format as Bob's Full House, brought back when Monkhouse defected to ITV in the early 90s) and some dreadful Saturday night thing which he co-hosted with Sarah Greene, with the catchphrase "Hoist up your grannies".  Can't remember the title of that one, perhaps fortunately.

He then went into creating game shows.  One on ITV called Lose A Million which is briefly captured in the film Trainspotting.  I think Objective (his production company, which makes Peep Show) was founded about then (1994ish).

chav

His company also makes Derren Brown's shows.

Johnny Yesno

I suffered the same miscoception Munday's. I watched some of the first series and didn't like it. When it got a second series I grudgingly took a look at the first episode of that, "just for five minutes, like", and fell about laughing, and ended up watching all of the second series and loving it.

I had the same experience with Father Ted   I'm ashamed to admit.

Bert Thung

Don't worry, Munday, this is a common occurence.

I think PS has a problem on a first viewing, in that, superficially, it seems to exemplify a kind of Channel 4, youth-orientated, gimmmicky, wankerish comedy show.

Give it a second whirl, and you see that the gimmick adds to the joke tally.

Saying that, I gave Mitchell and Webb's radio show a second chance the other night. As John Cleese once said, "a tatty review".

Paul Twist

I too came late to Peep Show. I didn't even give the first series a chance, mainly because I still have bad memories of Bruiser, and I thought that Mitchell and Webb were rubbish. Even if I'd known they didn't write Peep Show I would probably have avoided it, as 'from the writers of Days Like These' isn't really much of a selling point. How wrong I was, eh?

In fact, if it wasn't for the praise I saw Peep Show receive both here and on other fora I wouldn't have given it a second glance. I know sites like CaB are often criticised for being too critical, but, obviously, that's bollocks. People seem to ignore when overlooked shows like Peep Show are praised, preferring to moan about their favourite programme being slagged off. But I digress.  

Agree with the above about The Mitchell and Webb Sound, though it wasn't as bad as I'd thought it'd be, and did make me laugh a couple of times, which was a couple of times more than I'd expected.

butnut

Quote from: "Paul Twist"In fact, if it wasn't for the praise I saw Peep Show receive both here and on other fora I wouldn't have given it a second glance. I know sites like CaB are often criticised for being too critical, but, obviously, that's bollocks. People seem to ignore when overlooked shows like Peep Show are praised, preferring to moan about their favourite programme being slagged off. But I digress.  

I'm going to continue your digression, as it raises an interesting point, I feel. Here's some of the (non-Morris-related) brilliant comedy that I would probably have never seen without CaB:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Seinfeld
Arrested Development
Peep Show
Mr Show
15 Storeys High

I wonder if it's worth a thread of its own, or would that be too 'aren't-we-great'. Actually TJ did a similar one in GD awhile ago, but that was more general internetty things too.

Morrisfan82

I bought the Peep Show S1 DVD today. Thought 'oh, I'll pop a couple of episodes on when I get home'. Just finished watching the whole series. Fucking fucking ace. Belly laughs a go-go.

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"

Question: I notice it was created by Andrew O'Connor... I take it thats not the same A O'C who used to host chain, chain, chain chain letters?

CHANGE THE "B" TO A "V" TO MAKE "VANE"

Paul Twist

Quote from: "butnut"
I'm going to continue your digression, as it raises an interesting point, I feel. Here's some of the (non-Morris-related) brilliant comedy that I would probably have never seen without CaB:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Seinfeld
Arrested Development
Peep Show
Mr Show
15 Storeys High

I wonder if it's worth a thread of its own, or would that be too 'aren't-we-great'. Actually TJ did a similar one in GD awhile ago, but that was more general internetty things too.

With you on Arrested Development. I almost certainly wouldn't have watched it were it not for reading about it here. Never managed to catch 15 Storeys High, even though I heard nothing but good things, and I will buy Mr Show DVDs one day.

It's quite comforting to know that forums like this exist, where programmes are pushed on quality alone by enthusiastic fans, and not by PR twats (who, I'm sure, do frequent forums, but who are usually sniffed out immediately).

Bert Thung

Add

Victor Lewis Smith
90% of Monty Python not being rubbish
Radioactive

So is series 2 as good? Gazzyk1ns was trying to talk me in to watching it once and I was all "whateveeeer" but now I'm looking forward to it.

I gave up on arrested development after one episode too and from what i've heard its actually better than sex. I shall be getting the dvd of that too. I've been reborn.

I've never seen Mr Show. I was going to get the dvd of that but season 1 is always out of stock and i've heard thats the best one.

butnut

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"I've never seen Mr Show. I was going to get the dvd of that but season 1 is always out of stock and i've heard thats the best one.

I was told series 3 and 4 were the best! I suppose it depends. I've only got 3, and I really like it. It's not quite 100% brilliant, but it's pretty close. There are a few sketches that dragged on a bit on first viewing, but you can argue that about Python or any sketch show. I think I'll get series 4 next time I go to my local internet DVD region 1 retailers.

DuncanC

QuoteMr Show
I'd definitely recommend you get 3 or 4 first. The first two series come in a single DVD package (there are 10 episodes total between them, while 3 and 4 have 10 each) and have a sort of experimental "we're settling into this" feel, while the latter two seasons are where they really hit their stride (and become a lot funnier).

"He does what...? At night?"

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "DuncanC"
QuoteMr Show
I'd definitely recommend you get 3 or 4 first. The first two series come in a single DVD package (there are 10 episodes total between them, while 3 and 4 have 10 each) and have a sort of experimental "we're settling into this" feel, while the latter two seasons are where they really hit their stride (and become a lot funnier).
I'm funny about this though: if I'm going to buy a DVD of a show I've not seen (or not seen much of), I always get the first series first, watch that, then progressively get subsequent series in order, so I can gauge the progression of the show myself. If I get the 'best' series first, then later get the not-so-good earlier shows, I find I will not appreciate them as much as I would had I become acquainted with them in choronological order. Strange but true.

So: what is Mr. Show? I've heard glowing praise for it, but I know nothing about it.

Everytime I hear 'Mr. Show' I can't help but think of Sean's Show, where Sean's builder used to call him Mr. Show, thinking his name was actually Sean Show.

DuncanC

QuoteI'm funny about this though: if I'm going to buy a DVD of a show I've not seen (or not seen much of), I always get the first series first, watch that, then progressively get subsequent series in order, so I can gauge the progression of the show myself. If I get the 'best' series first, then later get the not-so-good earlier shows, I find I will not appreciate them as much as I would had I become acquainted with them in choronological order. Strange but true.
No, that's completely fair enough - I only recommended doing that so that people don't watch the first few episodes and dislike them enough to not to watch any more, but if you're going to watch it all the way through anyway it would be better to start at the beginning.

QuoteSo: what is Mr. Show? I've heard glowing praise for it, but I know nothing about it.

"Mr Show with Bob and David" (Bob Odenkirk and David Cross) is a sketch show that ran on HBO in the mid-to-late '90s. Aswell as Bob and David there's a cast that changes a bit during the run but includes Tom Kenny, Sarah Silverman, Jack Black, Scott Aukerman, Mary Lynn Rajskub and others. It's pretty obviously Python influenced, in particular they take obvious care in having links/transitions between every sketch.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "DuncanC""Mr Show with Bob and David" (Bob Odenkirk and David Cross) is a sketch show that ran on HBO in the mid-to-late '90s. Aswell as Bob and David there's a cast that changes a bit during the run but includes Tom Kenny, Sarah Silverman, Jack Black, Scott Aukerman, Mary Lynn Rajskub and others. It's pretty obviously Python influenced, in particular they take obvious care in having links/transitions between every sketch.
Cool, cheers for that. I'll keep an eye out (though I'm guessing as it's seemingly discontinued it's not likely to officially see the light of day this side of the Atlantic?).

MrManson

Yeah, fantastic program.

Anyway...

Estimates on the Season 2 DVD release date? I'm thinking it'll be out to coincide with the third season, but that'll be a while off.

So, Christmas / New Year time? Too optimistic?