Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:43:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Men, Alex Garland

Started by SweetPomPom, March 23, 2022, 07:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SweetPomPom

https://youtu.be/pt81CJcWZy8

I like Garland, always intriguing without ever getting that big love that Wheatley seems to get.
Anyway, 2 trailers in and this looks worth a trip out for the 6 days it'll end up being on for.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea I'm keen on this

Between devs, ex machina and annihilation I think I'm more interested in Garland than Wheatley these days, the last of Wheatley's stuff has been 70s costume drama with little depth

Mr Trumpet

Good shout casting Kinnear, a man with possibly the most generic white British middle-aged, middle class face ever put on screen. Looking forward to this even though I don't really like horror films.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on March 24, 2022, 09:04:12 AMGood shout casting Kinnear, a man with possibly the most generic white British middle-aged, middle class face ever put on screen. Looking forward to this even though I don't really like horror films.

Yea it was a few times before I noticed

olliebean

Yeah, when I cottoned on my first thought was, this is the perfect role(s) for him.

druss

Thought priest was David Walliams for a sec.

SweetPomPom

I think Ex Machina is still his high water mark but Dredd was probably as good as they could do with the budget and according to popular myth that was mostly Garland not Travis.

He doesn't always stick the ending but all his stuff is tastefully done.

Twit 2

Nothing of his has grabbed me. I liked lots of bits of Annihilation, but not as a whole. Ex Machina was predictable and had shit dialogue, but looked snazzy and had good acting. Devs squandered most of its premise. I like his ambition but he's pretty mediocre and derivative in the end. I'll still give his stuff a look, as it's the sort of thing I should like, and one day it might all come together.

GoblinAhFuckScary

really liked the set-up of this (echoes of the Lawrence gordon clark m.r. james adaptations and tales of the unexpected) but fucking hell is it indulgent.

ending is one of the most intensely gross-out scenes I've seen in a very long time to the point of complete ridiculousness. a weird fucking mess which also feels horrendously misogynistic in a terribly naive and misguided kinda way

Men. Man. I thought I was going to really like this, despite the laughable BBC drama level beginning. Was really enjoying the shots of the green green ENGLAND MY ENGLAND countryside fields, and the tunnel stuff was cool, with the echo and the crowing, running, naked man with all leaves on his face. But then it just kept wriggling further and further up inside its own bork canal and by the end I was just finding it really tedious. GUILT IS THE REAL MONSTER. GRIEF IS THE TRUE HORROR. The climax was laughable. Still, pretty brave choice to make the villains Harry Enfield, David Walliams and Alan Partridge when his face was badly glitched onto a school boy's head.