Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:04:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Thor: Love and Thunder

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, April 18, 2022, 06:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

There is a trailer:

Quite a good trailer, I think. Despite some good bits, I was little disappointed by Ragnarok, but this has successfully whetted my appetite.

One of my problems with the last one was that it felt more like a Guardians of the Galaxy film, so it'll be interesting to see how much they're in this - I'm guessing it'll pretty much be an extended cameo. Also interesting to see how they're received, since everyone seems to have decided they hate Chris Pratt now. I'd have liked Ragnarok to stick more with the high fantasy style and it looks like maybe this one is. The Olympian gods are involved, with Russell Crowe playing other lightning lobber, Zeus.

If you feel the need to act like this is a massive pain in your arse, please click here.

Famous Mortimer

I liked Ragnarok, so good news. Trailer looks decent too.

dissolute ocelot

Hemsworth is a funny and likable guy, and the trailer seems to foreground that. I thought Ragnarok had its moments but was a bit too content to be mildly silly at enormous expense, and I kind of feel the same about Guardians of the Galaxy. It would certainly be possible to make a good film where Hemsworth travels around, gets into low-key adventures, has a laugh, while there's cool rock music on the soundtrack and silly space-Viking stuff. So this looks fairly hopeful.

As to Chris Pratt, I certainly think he is often terrible, having recently watched The Tomorrow War in which he is a charisma vacuum, and he's not great in the dinosaur thing; but his Avengers role is more in line with his limited abilities. That said, the tree and the racoon are much funnier.

Russell Crowe is another actor I dislike, but he can be (intentionally) funny when he tries, or can also be utterly humourless. Either way, it's definitely funnier if you contrast epic space medievalism with Hemsworth being silly, so hopefully they can work something out.

I can't endorse it entirely without Kat Dennings, but never mind.

Dr Rock

This will be the best movie ever.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Dr Rock on April 19, 2022, 10:22:16 PMThis will be the best movie ever.

Until the next Thorp film comes out, yes.

Glebe

Not hugely excited by that teaser but I still reckon this will be fun. Ragnarok was one of the funniest Marvel films. "Wanna use a big wooden fork? Yeah, not really useful, unless you're fighting off three vampires that were huddled together!"

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

oh I look forward to the endless pissing and moaning from the usual suspects because of a couple of seconds at the end of that trailer

madhair60

Looks like the same shit they've been peddling for almost 15 years. I despised Ragnarok, I found it truly unpleasant, so I don't expect to like this. I cannot stand MCU humour - it is wretched to me, wretched.

Then again - all trailers make the films look shit. I did enjoy No Way Home a lot, and I'm interested in the new Dr Strange following it up, so the MCU has me paying attention again at least.

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on April 20, 2022, 12:32:34 AMoh I look forward to the endless pissing and moaning from the usual suspects because of a couple of seconds at the end of that trailer
That's already begun. They are also outraged that Tessa Thompson's character is wearing a mannish business suit.

Speaking of grown men with emotional problems: there doesn't seem to be any sign of Christian Bale in this trailer. Apparently he's playing the villain
Spoiler alert
Gorr, the God Butcher.

He really raises the steaks.
[close]

surreal

I loved Ragnarok, genuinely enjoyable movie but I have mixed feelings about this.  Nothing to do with "female Thor" or anything as that is just story but I really irrationally dislike Natalie Portman. Intensely, deeply dislike her and anything she is in except Leon The Professional.

surreal

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 20, 2022, 10:20:08 AMApparently he's playing the villain
Spoiler alert
Gorr, the God Butcher.

He really (b)raises the steaks.
[close]

FTFY

Magnum Valentino

The God Butcher storyline this is lifted from has one of the best villain stories in modern Marvel, and the Marvel films live and die on the strength of how empathetic their baddies are (best exemplified by the first MCU Spider-Man film's Michael Keaton).

This could be brilliant.

elliszeroed

This film will live or die on two things:

1. How much Tesa Thompson is in it.

2. How little Chris Pratt is in it.

Pratt seems less and less likable the more I hear about him in real life, but I'd say you only need to look at his virtual counterpart in last year's Guardians of the Galaxy game to see his value as a screen presence.

Lord Mandrake

I know Chris Pratt is religious and overexposed but he's still a good comedic actor I reckon. Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie was a bit one note in Ragnarok and I hate women.

Mister Six

Yeah, I think Pratt's good at doing the "bumbling oaf" thing and I like him as Star Lord, but I doubt he'll be in this very much. Surely the Guardians are going to drop him off somewhere in the first act, so he can get on with having a solo film?

Other than the inclusion of Natalie Portman, whose character was a total void in the first two movies (Kat Dennings's scientist should have been the love interest) and whom I find very blah as an actress, this all looks good to me.

Quote from: Mister Six on April 20, 2022, 06:39:05 PMSurely the Guardians are going to drop him off somewhere in the first act, so he can get on with having a solo film?
That's certainly the impression I got from the trailer. I reckon they'll part ways with Thor around the 20 minute mark, maybe turning up to lend a hand during the finale.

madhair60

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 20, 2022, 11:33:12 AMThe God Butcher storyline this is lifted from has one of the best villain stories in modern Marvel, and the Marvel films live and die on the strength of how empathetic their baddies are (best exemplified by the first MCU Spider-Man film's Michael Keaton).

This could be brilliant.

I feel as though that storyline needs a serious tone, and based on the trailer, this film clearly lacks that.

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

phantom_power

Waititi is pretty good, I think, at balancing tones and having serious bits interspersed with the silliness.

Dr Rock

It's a great Kirby reference that he's using his boats that fly through space.

The Dog

QuoteI have had it with these motherfuckin' cream crackers under this motherfuckin' settee.

Mister Six

Quote from: phantom_power on April 21, 2022, 04:23:53 PMWaititi is pretty good, I think, at balancing tones and having serious bits interspersed with the silliness.

In Wilderpeople and JoJo, yeah, but his Thor 3 seemed petrified of actually letting an emotion land and stick around. Everything was undercut constantly, and Thor never even acknowledged that his mates (who came to his rescue in the first two films) were all slaughtered by Hela.

I would hazard a guess that was mandated by the studio bigwigs. I think Thor 2 was seen as a bit too grimdark (to the point that it's openly mocked in Ragnarok) and Thor himself as the most boring of the Avengers at that point. Even Hawkguy seemed more popular after Age of Ultron.

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Mister Six on April 22, 2022, 06:06:35 PMIn Wilderpeople and JoJo, yeah, but his Thor 3 seemed petrified of actually letting an emotion land and stick around. Everything was undercut constantly, and Thor never even acknowledged that his mates (who came to his rescue in the first two films) were all slaughtered by Hela.

He must have known neatly all of them will die during first 5 mins of Infinity War tho..

Mister Six

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 22, 2022, 06:20:40 PMI would hazard a guess that was mandated by the studio bigwigs. I think Thor 2 was seen as a bit too grimdark (to the point that it's openly mocked in Ragnarok) and Thor himself as the most boring of the Avengers at that point. Even Hawkguy seemed more popular after Age of Ultron.

I doubt they would have objected to a single scene of genuine emotion. The Guardians films don't avoid heavier subject matter (the first one starts with a woman dying of cancer!) and they were clearly an inspiration for Their 3.

I dunno. It's notoriously not a studio that put a director's vision first. Apparently studio bean counters are suddenly cancelling a bunch of vampire films after Morbius flopped, so how much nuance can you credit them with? GotG certainly had heavier moments (and Thor 2 had funny bits) but I wouldn't be surprised if the money men just noted all the jokes and pop songs and said, "Do that!".

I actually quite like Thor 2. I took my nephew to see it.

Mister Six

Marvel isn't run quite a grindingly shittily as Sony and other studios, though, and I can't see Feige refusing to allow even a single scene of heavy emotion. Ant-Man 2 had more weight than Thor 3, for crying out loud! And Thor 3 is very much a Waititi joint.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Mister Six on April 22, 2022, 10:29:36 PMMarvel isn't run quite a grindingly shittily as Sony and other studios,

There's a few directors they've dumped from projects in recent years who might disagree

phantom_power

Quote from: 13 schoolyards on April 23, 2022, 09:41:20 AMThere's a few directors they've dumped from projects in recent years who might disagree

That was generally before they got rid of the group that would interfere with all the films whose name I forget now, such as Edgar Wright and Ant Man. The only recent one I can think of is Scott Derrickson and I don't know what went on there but he left at quite an early stage of Dr Strange 2 I think