Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:04:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Thor: Love and Thunder

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, April 18, 2022, 06:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 22, 2022, 09:46:01 PMI dunno. It's notoriously not a studio that put a director's vision first.

I think the Eternals is evidence that directors visions aren't necessarily copasetic with cohesive, long form story telling. They need to be reigned in, it's not about them. If the Russos and Waititi, Gunn and apparently Raimi can work with the formula then it's not broken.

Mister Six

Quote from: phantom_power on April 23, 2022, 11:28:06 AMThat was generally before they got rid of the group that would interfere with all the films whose name I forget now.

Ike Perlmutter was one of them. He's also the reason there was no planned Black Widow movie at first, or any non-white protagonists. A cunt, basically, although I don't know if he was responsible for Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man.

Obviously they're not as freewheeling as DC, and there are limits to the freedoms given to directors (and they're ramping up the cross-movie IP awareness shit again, after already dialling it back after alienating people with it around the time of Avengers 2), but modern Marvel Studios clearly does give its directors a fair bit of leeway. Eternals is not anything like Thor 3, and the notion that they would have squashed even a little bit of emotion or reflection in the latter if Waititi had wanted to include it just seems completel wrong to me.

madhair60

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on April 23, 2022, 01:45:06 PMI think the Eternals is evidence that directors visions aren't necessarily copasetic with cohesive, long form story telling. They need to be reigned in, it's not about them. If the Russos and Waititi, Gunn and apparently Raimi can work with the formula then it's not broken.

Why don't they just use no-name directors-for-hire?

Not snark. I don't see how it would affect the films.

Famous Mortimer

Lord Mandrake

Like them or not, pulling off films like Infinity War, Endgame etc.. Takes an enormous amount of filmmaking ability and experience.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: madhair60 on April 23, 2022, 05:56:23 PMWhy don't they just use no-name directors-for-hire?

Not snark. I don't see how it would affect the films.
They did that on Thor 2 and look how that turned out (perfectly well, I thought, but I seem to be alone in that).

Lord Mandrake

The Russos and Gunn can execute the tonal shifts I think Waititi struggled with in Ragnarok so it's not studio mandate, it's storytelling ability.

phantom_power

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 23, 2022, 08:15:59 PMThey did that on Thor 2 and look how that turned out (perfectly well, I thought, but I seem to be alone in that).

The director of the Spiderman films is hardly well known, and Scott Derrickson had only done a couple of horror films before Dr Strange. The Russos weren't really anything before Winter Soldier either.

Mister Six

Edit: Misunderstood the thrust of the post.

phantom_power

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on April 23, 2022, 08:23:17 PMThe Russos and Gunn can execute the tonal shifts I think Waititi struggled with in Ragnarok so it's not studio mandate, it's storytelling ability.

But then Waititi handled the tonal shifts well in his non-Marvel films so who knows really? Maybe he wasn't really going for emotion in that film but will want to in this one

Lord Mandrake

I enjoyed it but Jojo Rabbit isn't really funny. Likewise the pathos in Wilderpeople is sketchy at best to me whereas WWDITS is just out and out comedy. Still enjoyed Ragnarok a great deal but Odins death for example and Bruce Banners whole demeanour were just a bit off.

Head Gardener

Famous Mortimer

I'm not sure you needed to bump this thread to post a picture that those shitty Facebook meme congregator pages would have probably turned down, but so be it.

Head Gardener

oh gimme an inch of self amusement please

madhair60

Butchers Blind

bgmnts

Who could they get in to make Marvel films palatable to a discerning movie goer at this point? Someone to maybe go less is more.

Currently, Marvel films are just too much; too many flashing lights, too many big fight sequences, too many crap attempts at humour (Deadpool 2 was literally an attempted gag every 10 seconds) and too many films.

Someone needs to come in and slow it all down but who?

holyzombiejesus

Richard Linklater could do a Marvel universe Slacker.

MojoJojo

Quote from: bgmnts on May 24, 2022, 08:29:02 AMCurrently, Marvel films are just too much; too many flashing lights, too many big fight sequences, too many crap attempts at humour (Deadpool 2 was literally an attempted gag every 10 seconds) and too many films.

Yes, and no one enunciates properly anymore. The multi-billion dollar franchise really needs to bring in someone who understands the importance of proper diction.

Bad Ambassador

The gentlemen never stand up when a lady walks into the room.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: bgmnts on May 24, 2022, 08:29:02 AMWho could they get in to make Marvel films palatable to a discerning movie goer at this point? Someone to maybe go less is more.

Currently, Marvel films are just too much; too many flashing lights, too many big fight sequences, too many crap attempts at humour (Deadpool 2 was literally an attempted gag every 10 seconds) and too many films.

Someone needs to come in and slow it all down but who?

I agree, they are pushing it now. They are backed up and releasing new shit it feels like every week. I'm an unabashed MCU fan but it's overwhelming and that over saturation people have been insisting on for years feels close.

Bale looks surprisingly creepy there. Supposedly, he turned down a lorryload of money to play Batman again, so hopefully that means he was drawn to this by an interesting character to play (one whose menace won't be constantly undermined by goofy shenanigans).

Glebe

Bale's scenes look like they're from different movie.

Mister Six

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on May 24, 2022, 12:27:41 PMI agree, they are pushing it now. They are backed up and releasing new shit it feels like every week. I'm an unabashed MCU fan but it's overwhelming and that over saturation people have been insisting on for years feels close.

Dr Strange 2 pushed me over the edge, but I'll watch this and Guardians 3, at least, because I like those creative teams and there's a slim chance that development on them started early enough that I won't have to watch eight hours of Forbush Man on Disney+ to get what's going on.

Not gonna bother with the other stuff though. Watch Ms Marvel on Disney+ just so I can watch Captain Marvel 2? Fuck offfffffff.

dissolute ocelot

Just saw a Direct Line ad with Tessa Thompson as King Valkyrie or whatever her character is called, presumably intended as a direct tie in with the imminent release of this. Direct Line adverts have for years been shitting on people's film and TV memories with cartoon characters, Harvey Keitel wanking at a car window, and recently Transformers, but now I can say that's me through with Marvel. Hate Direct Line more than any other corporation/brand ever, even Virgin. Also, how much did it cost? I know Direct Line's thing is "we're much more expensive than anyone, that's why we're not on price comparison sites, and we love landlords because we're cunts", but surely Marvel cash-ins aren't cheap even in comparison to Top Cat or Keitel?

Anyway, enjoy the Hammer Guy film.

Crenners

Wasn't funny.

Will estuary English speakers call this "For Four"?

Glebe

Official reviews out now, sound's like it walks a very fine line between dark and goofy.

phantom_power

Peter Bradshaw gives it a 3, which means it must be a 5

Stigdu

Nice mini review from Jake West!

Fantastic fun screening of Thor:Love and Thunder & hilarious Q&A with Director Taika Waititi, Natalie Portman and Tessa Thompson.  Tho gotta say Russel Crowe absolutely steals this with his pitch perfect comedy portrayal of Zeus!  Thank you so much for the invite Deola Folarin (you rock)  & brilliant to hang out with you & my fantastic cousin Chloe &  her top chap Simon Tolhurst.  See ya in Valhalla 🤣 x