Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:22:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Has anyone been to one of those National Theatre Live cinema screenings?

Started by holyzombiejesus, July 20, 2022, 02:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

The cinema near me (and presumably loads of others) is showing Prima Facie on Thursday and whilst the trailer makes it look really annoying, I quite like cycling home along the canal at dusk.

Anyone ever been to one of these? Is it a single camera job? An actual live performance or one done specifically for the filming? Would be interetsed to read thoughts.

EDIT: Wow, it looks really popular. They've had to open the baclony and that's half sold out. Never realised these sold so well.

Famous Mortimer

I went to see...that Shakespeare slag, one of his. Hamlet, probably? But it was multiple cameras, and I think it was live (although I know some of them are pre-recorded.

Dayraven

Actual live performance, with multiple cameras — presumably they know the staging well enough to set it up.

There are both actual live showings and packaged versions of things they've shown live before, if this is a new one it will probably actually be live.

I've seen Medea, Frankenstein and The Beggar's Opera done this way.

SweetPomPom

It's not actually live, it was only a short run that finished weeks ago.
She's good tho.

mjwilson

I've been to a few of these and they mostly work pretty well, although I've seen the occasional dud like War Horse, which seemed to be playing MUCH better for people watching it live than for us in the cinema.

the science eel

Quote from: SweetPomPom on July 20, 2022, 02:51:31 PMIt's not actually live, it was only a short run that finished weeks ago.
She's good tho.

this is the first post I've ever seen where nobody talks about how g

BritishHobo

I've been to a few. The pre-recorded ones (Of Mice and Men, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time) had little behind-the-scenes bits at the start, which was nice. I also saw Fleabag, and there was something electric about knowing it was one woman doing it live, with so many people around the country watching. The cinema is always packed, which is great. Love that it gives the opportunity to see things like this that you'd otherwise have to travel to London etc for, or else wait for a tour that MIGHT come to your local arts theatre if you're lucky.

Got tickets booked for Prima Facie, very excited.

Blue Jam

Anywhere @Lisa Jesusandmarychain can catch this? ;)

Seen quite a few of these live NFT and RSC things and enjoyed them, affordable and still a lot of fun, so go for it OP.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Nice of BJ to be looking out for me!

I was in the London area for a couple of weeks, but was far too busy to be able to actually go watching Her Who Plays Barrister Lady on the big screen, and it's definitely not being shown in the Merseyside region.

It's a shame, because I had my line all ready to shout out for the audience's amusement ( " you can tell that's a wig."). Ah, well.