Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:28:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Marvel phases 4, 5, and 6, 2022-2025

Started by samadriel, July 24, 2022, 06:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

Boo, Marvel is bad!
Nah, they're often good. Here's what they've announced and shown at San Diego Comic Con 2022.

Looks like my mate was right about Kang being the next big Avengers bad guy. I wonder when we'll see Galactus.

Daredevil's gonna be in She-Hulk, I am hyped. Not so hyped about the Born Again TV show, since I heard it'll be upwards of 12 episodes,  and I find short TV seasons exhausting enough,  never mind long ones.

Still no sign of mutants,  although there's a big unexplored gap between FF and the next big Avengers event,  so they could maybe be in there.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1550998423821660161?t=yLxUd9SkvPxLWFSpLX1jgA&s=19

Anyone know anything about Thunderbolts? I know zilch.

13 schoolyards

I was slightly excited about Born Again until I remembered that Spider-Man has just done the "oh no, my secret identity has been revealed and now my life is ruined" angle.

So I'm guessing it'll just be a 12-part generic Daredevil vs Kingpin story with maybe an episode of two where he's living on the streets thrown in.

madhair60

madhair60

sorry let me add some content to that - fuck off with your shit identical films and crap telly you cunts.

Crenners

Got a taxi recently and the driver talked the whole way about Marvel films, Marvel lore and a fan-made supercut of all the films stitched together with scenes in chronological order.

I really enjoyed the conversation we had!

Lord Mandrake

Ethereal version of iconic song gets a pass here because it's decent and just for the trailer.

Hex Triplet

If I could just be really iconoclastic and daring here, I might just posit that Marvel is SHIT

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: samadriel on July 24, 2022, 06:33:28 AMAnyone know anything about Thunderbolts? I know zilch.

Anti hero team. US Agent, Bucky, Yelena, Abomination, Ghost and others. 

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Hex Triplet on July 24, 2022, 11:12:39 AMIf I could just be really iconoclastic and daring here, I might just posit that Marvel is SHIT

Theres a thread for that you boring cunt.

stonkers

They've also got another half a dozen or so things to announce at D23.

For a moment I thought they'd announced a second Agatha Harkness show, which would be mental, but it's just a title change.

Quote from: samadriel on July 24, 2022, 06:33:28 AMStill no sign of mutants,  although there's a big unexplored gap between FF and the next big Avengers event,  so they could maybe be in there.

Not entirely true...

samadriel

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on July 24, 2022, 11:13:15 AMAnti hero team. US Agent, Bucky, Yelena, Abomination, Ghost and others. 
Oh, okay, that's got potential, I guess their Nick Fury is Julia Louis-Dreyfuss' nasty lady. Can't be worse than non-Gunn Suicide Squad!

Quote from: stonkers on July 24, 2022, 11:30:17 AMNot entirely true...
What, Namor? That's not exactly a marquee mutant!

Dr Rock

Doom's in Wakanda Forever too, right?

Josef K

People need to accept that these films will never go away, we just have to learn to live with them

Josef K

To be fair, Wakanda Forever actually looks like a proper movie with some thought put into the visuals for a change

stonkers

Quote from: samadriel on July 24, 2022, 11:36:50 AMWhat, Namor? That's not exactly a marquee mutant!

Ha, I'd forgotten about that. Do they still count Namor as a mutant?

I meant
Spoiler alert
Kamala Khan is revealed to be a mutant at the end of Ms Marvel.
[close]

samadriel

Spoiler for Ms Marvel there,  folks.  I haven't watched that one yet.

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 24, 2022, 11:46:13 AMDoom's in Wakanda Forever too, right?
5 bucks says he's not in the film. Not including post- credits sequences,  hell, anyone could be in those things.

Butchers Blind

Who's playing Superman in these ones?

phantom_power

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on July 24, 2022, 11:02:02 AMEthereal version of iconic song gets a pass here because it's decent and just for the trailer.

I wasn't too sure about the cover but when it segues into Kendrick at the end I was in

samadriel

up_the_hampipe

Is Thanos going to be in any of these? Every time I see an image of him, I can't believe he looks like that and people actually took him seriously as a formidable villain.

samadriel

Thanos  is in all Marvel movies, flying in his Thanoscopter.

Famous Mortimer

I'm a pretty big fan of the early ones, but much like the comics, there's just too much of it.

Butchers Blind

It is overkill just looking at that release calendar. The plots are all interchangeable whoever is wearing what costume.

Makes money though.

bgmnts

Yes i'm that cunt but i'm just amazed this still has legs and people aren't bored of it yet.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on July 24, 2022, 04:26:09 PMYes i'm that cunt but i'm just amazed this still has legs and people aren't bored of it yet.

it's actually weirder to insist that criticism be kept to a separate thread. fucking lol. no.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on July 24, 2022, 01:47:24 PMIs Thanos going to be in any of these? Every time I see an image of him, I can't believe he looks like that and people actually took him seriously as a formidable villain.

Four phases in and there has never really been much jeopardy (which when you announce phases in advance, it kinda gives away who will survive). They've never been able to write good villains, or be willing for a villain to actually win. The odd hero has died here and there, but there's never been the need for an 'Empire Strikes Back', or even a motivation for new heroes to be formed.

Norton Canes

Guys just make a Daredevil movie

Oh they're doing a series

That's okay then

samadriel

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on July 24, 2022, 03:17:46 PMI'm a pretty big fan of the early ones, but much like the comics, there's just too much of it.
Marvel movies are like pop songs, they're generally pretty bite size and it isn't a huge ask to watch a fair few of them if you actually enjoy them, it's only a few hours here and there across the year. But I do find the addition of TV series' a bit much; sure,  I love She-Hulk and I'm looking forward to her show, but I can't be arsed finishing Loki, I find the whole TSA thing so fucking dull. I didn't get into Wandavision until quite late because the premise didn't grab me (it turned out to be pretty great), and I can't imagine watching Moon Knight in a hurry. Ms Marvel looks nice though.  So I sympathise, but I don't think the movies on their own are overdoing it, it's just the TV division getting time-greedy. Although the Disney+ schedule is a bit of an improvement over the gigantic choking hazard Netflix series of a few years back.

Quote from: madhair60 on July 24, 2022, 04:40:31 PMit's actually weirder to insist that criticism be kept to a separate thread. fucking lol. no.

Criticism is fair enough in this thread,  because it's a thread about the whole MCU, just like the criticism is of the whole MCU. It's the individual threads about Marvel movies that don't need to be weighed down by you and your mates endlessly bitching about how they're all the same and they're not real cinema and blah blah blah; the kvetching is infinitely duller than the worst Marvel movie, and never engages with the merits and demerits of the individual movie the thread's about, so it's completely understandable that MCU criticism be shunted off to its own thread in most cases.

Not here though. Bitch away, and merrily add nothing of worth to the thread!

samadriel

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on July 24, 2022, 04:57:35 PMFour phases in and there has never really been much jeopardy (which when you announce phases in advance, it kinda gives away who will survive). They've never been able to write good villains, or be willing for a villain to actually win. The odd hero has died here and there, but there's never been the need for an 'Empire Strikes Back', or even a motivation for new heroes to be formed.
I dunno about that last one, lately they're introducing spunky young inheritors to take over from retiring originals (Cap, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Black Panther (by necessity, RIP), they're expanding the "families" of Ant Man, Hulk, Dr Strange, Thor, the next GotG is going to be the last with the present crew...) As for "an Empire Strikes Back",  how quickly we forget Infinity War! Maybe if there had been a longer break between that and Endgame, it wouldn't be overlooked,  but hey, if you want bad guys winning... (you might want to look outside of mainstream fiction).

I definitely agree about a lack of effort put into villains though.  The only really good ones I can think of off the top of my head are Vulture, Killmonger, Thanos and Ghost, most of the rest are just generic moustache-twirlers. Most are formidable within their one movie, but that's basic scriptwriting, you need more than that to impress.