Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:47:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis 2015

Started by Mr_Simnock, January 02, 2015, 07:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectivememory

Well it's fizzled out now. Comfortable for Nadal.

rjd2

Henman today was saying he does not think Bedene will be successful, but if somehow he is yeah he he has to play, at a higher level than Ward and Edmund. Fuck knows why people are considering Evans though.

Deanjam

Fed v Djokovic & Murray v Nadal now set for Tuesday/Wednesday. Hopefully we'll get something approaching competitive there.

Deanjam

Bedene's appeal postponed till March, which is something of a cop out by the ITF. Also means he's definitely unavailable for next year's first round match against Japan, which I reckon Andy Murray will skip.

Deanjam

And here's the teams.

selectivememory

Glad they've gone with Edmund. Deserves his shot I think, and would definitely be in with a chance at beating Darcis if it came down to a competitive final rubber.

Murray should win both his singles rubbers though, and you'd expect the brothers to be able to deal with whatever combination of Belgians they'd face in the doubles. The Aussies and the French (hell, even the Americans) were much stronger teams than the Belgians. Home advantage and the abrupt change in surface might sway things a little back towards Belgium, but I'd be pretty surprised if GB don't win it now.

selectivememory

Djokovic-Federer up now. Potential for a great match here.

selectivememory

Fed takes the first set, which definitely makes things more interesting. To the surprise of nobody, this is the best match so far this week.

selectivememory

Fed wins it in straight sets. Didn't see that coming!

Deanjam

Well that was fun! Fed matches up well against Novak. Third win over him this season, exactly half of Djoker's losses. Not bad from the old man.

Deanjam

Nadal creams Murray 4 & 1. Didn't see it cos of work, but sounds like a beat down.

selectivememory

Caught a bit of the first set on my lunch break. Pretty tight, Nadal definitely looking the stronger player; I don't see why he can't have at least one more good year if he can get his confidence against Djokovic back, and certainly wouldn't rule out another Roland Garros title for him next year.

I'd be surprised if Murray is that arsed about it though. I reckon his main goal this week was to get at least one win for the points but not to overdo it (the first set today was almost an hour long, so if he was going to win the match he was probably looking at spending up to three hours on court today, which he really doesn't need).

rjd2

Ah so it looks like Murray v Wawrinka will be winner takes all. They have not played each other for 2 years, so really looking forward to that hugely. Its been a pretty bland week yet again though.

selectivememory

So Djokovic-Nadal confirmed as a semifinal, and the winner of Stan and Muzz plays Federer. Federer's match with Nishikori earlier was enjoyable; Fed hit an absolute howler at one point, which should have been an easy put away: https://vine.co/v/iuXggrPXaE7.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it's anything other than a Djokovic-Federer final, but you never know. Murray and Stan should be fun tomorrow if they both play half decently. I have been dying to see them play for ages. Stan would stand a much stronger chance against Fed in the semi I feel.

selectivememory

Murray-Wawrinka has been very enjoyable so far. Good contrast of styles. Very tight, but I think Stan has a slight edge.

Deanjam

Yeah, great point just then when Murray broke back.

Deanjam

Gets himself back into a set-winning position then blows it. So Andy.

selectivememory

Very poor from Murray at 4-2 up in the tie break. Don't know how much he wants to fight back from a set down so that he can lose to Federer tomorrow (bearing in mind the DC final next week), but I reckon Stan's got this.

Deanjam

Would be very happy with an all-Swiss semi. That was the only quality match up last year. So long as Stan shows up of course...

selectivememory

Quote from: Deanjam on November 20, 2015, 09:27:19 PM
Would be very happy with an all-Swiss semi. That was the only quality match up last year. So long as Stan shows up of course...

Aye. Would be nice to see Stan take this title actually. He's been much better value in his appearances in the tournament than Murray ever has. Murray looks out of this now.

Murray could have sealed the second spot in the year-end rankings with a win here, but I think it's still in his hands even if Federer wins this title, with the points on offer in the DC final.

Deanjam

Stan's backhand is the sexiest shot in tennis.

rjd2

Stan should be shot if he loses this second set.

Deanjam

Quote from: rjd2 on November 20, 2015, 10:01:26 PM
Stan should be shot if he loses this second set.

He did his best.

Nice racket smash by Murray.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Nadal being bullied here. Still looks a little under-strength and lacklustre I think.

biggytitbo

Mentally especially, he still does not look like his old self.

Deanjam

Against Djokovic on indoor hardcourt is probably not the best way to judge Nadal's form. He came through a tricky group unbeaten, which is better than a lot were predicting. Disappointing match though.

biggytitbo

Federer's start into look a bit haggard these days isn't he? This is a major match, he could at least have had a shave.

Deanjam

He only shaves when Gilette pay him to.

selectivememory

So they've gone for both Edmund and Ward, and ditched Inglot.

Full draw for the weekend:

I guess that if it is a live rubber, the final match is probably going to be Darcis vs Ward, unless Edmund plays really well against Goffin. Darcis obviously given no hope against Murray so is being rested tomorrow.

Belgium have to be the weakest team GB have faced this year. Hopefully Murray is fully focussed and in good shape, as if he is there's just no way Belgium can win. His fairly dismal loss to Stan last week is probably a good thing so far as this tie is concerned.

Deanjam

Don't see any point in picking both Edmund and Ward. Smacks of not really knowing who to choose. Probably won't matter in the end though.