Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:09:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 04, 2019, 09:50:49 AM
My son is 6 months old so (luckily) filling the house with shit is not a problem.

Filling all of it with shit??

I have heard of telemarketing campaigns but not this.

touchingcloth

When I've heard drippy, dogshit versions of Make You Feel My Love at open mic nights or by wedding bands it's not because they're surprise secret Dylan fans, but because there's a drippy, dogshit version by Adelle.

Rizla

The comedic potential of changing the subject when quoting someone.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 04, 2019, 04:43:08 PM
When I've heard drippy, dogshit versions of Make You Feel My Love at open mic nights or by wedding bands it's not because they're surprise secret Dylan fans, but because there's a drippy, dogshit version by Adelle.

Ruined that song for me.

Happily You Belong To Me is almost identical, and hasn't been ruined by dickheads

Paul Calf

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 04, 2019, 04:43:08 PM

See also: Big Yellow Taxi and Hallelujah

Ferris

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 04, 2019, 06:40:30 PM
See also: Big Yellow Taxi and Hallelujah

Who's done a popular version of Big Yellow Taxi (apart from Joni). I can't think of one but that means fuck all

Paul Calf

Paul Calf

Ferris

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 04, 2019, 07:03:45 PM
Ronan Cunting Keating.

No he didn't! Did he!? God is nothing sacred.

Fuck this world, you're all welcome to it frankly.

touchingcloth

Ferris

I only know banal aphorism's finest "Life is a Rollercoaster" so I can't join in with (what I assume are) puns on other records he's released.

Suffice to say, I will rejoice when the sun bloats and the oceans swallow us whole because I know it'll be taking a small facet of beige-pop with it.

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 04, 2019, 07:24:52 PM
Baby can we kill Ronan tonight?

I reckon you should get permission from someone a bit older.

Ooh that's one: "When you say nothing at all" by Roman Keatings is a song about a man telling his girlfriend to shut-up.

I haven't only just realised that, but I haven't really seen a Seagull taking notes either.  How would he even hold the pencil?  Think I care?  I don't.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 04, 2019, 07:29:44 PM
I only know banal aphorism's finest "Life is a Rollercoaster" so I can't join in with (what I assume are) puns on other records he's released.

Suffice to say, I will rejoice when the sun bloats and the oceans swallow us whole because I know it'll be taking a small facet of beige-pop with it.

He did a cover of Tracy Chapman's Baby Can I Hold You, which started with the most ostentatiously Irish "sorry", and for this I wish him death. He did a great job with Big Yellow Taxi, though, and brought new layers of meaning to the song that I hadn't grasped from the original. For instance: it's not really about a taxi - there are metaphors and allegories in nearly every line.

Oh, and Bob Dylan's version of that song sounds like something the Navy's Seals would play to a naked Taliban.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: DistressedArea on August 04, 2019, 07:45:16 PM
Oh, and Bob Dylan's version of that song sounds like something the Navy's Seals would play to a naked Taliban.

you say that like it's a bad thing.

kalowski

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 04, 2019, 06:40:30 PM
See also: Big Yellow Taxi...
...a song in which Joni complains they 'Paved paradise to put up a parking lot', a measure which actually would have alleviated traffic congestion on the outskirts of paradise, something which Joni singularly fails to point out, perhaps because it doesn't quite fit in with her blinkered view of the world. Nevertheless, nice song.

Well,. someone had to say it.

Icehaven

Didn't Sheryl Crow do a version of Big Yellow Taxi too?

DrGreggles

Sebastian Cobb

I've got a dmx krew big yellow taxi cover on a Robert Moog Tribute compilation that Bleep compiled.

https://youtu.be/-6j0KhX8IBc

touchingcloth

The Trigger Happy theme song was an actual single first. That you could just buy and listen to by itself. Imagine that.

The maximum speed on my car's dash is probably one it can't ever hope to attain.

imitationleather

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 05, 2019, 10:37:36 PM
The Trigger Happy theme song was an actual single first. That you could just buy and listen to by itself. Imagine that.

Many years since I've watched that shite but wasn't it Connection by Elastica? You weren't aware of that song?

This certainly does fit the remit of the thread.

DrGreggles

touchingcloth

Quote from: imitationleather on August 05, 2019, 11:42:38 PM
Many years since I've watched that shite but wasn't it Connection by Elastica? You weren't aware of that song?

This certainly does fit the remit of the thread.

I googled the song to see what it was, but honestly if I'd heard it before seeing the show (or if I'd ever knowingly heard any other Elastica song) then I do not recall to that. It seems like it was something written for the show, because I just can't imagine someone sitting down to enjoy that collection of notes on their own merit (whether they should be enjoyed on Dom Joly's merit is a ruddy good question).

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 06, 2019, 01:52:45 AM
I googled the song to see what it was, but honestly if I'd heard it before seeing the show (or if I'd ever knowingly heard any other Elastica song) then I do not recall to that. It seems like it was something written for the show, because I just can't imagine someone sitting down to enjoy that collection of notes on their own merit (whether they should be enjoyed on Dom Joly's merit is a ruddy good question).

Actually you can not "enjoy" those notes as part of Trigger Happy TV because Trigger Happy TV bleeds its awfulness into them.

touchingcloth

Babe Ruth's careers highlights were in the 1920s and earlier, so the fact that Americans still talk about him is like an English footyball fan going on about the footyball players who the 1966 footyball winners used to go on about.

On a related obvious things note, Germany have won more world cups than England have, so the mindless chant of dick heads is even more mindless and dick headed than it initially appears.

Quote from: Replies From View on August 06, 2019, 12:48:02 PM
Actually you can not "enjoy" those notes as part of Trigger Happy TV because Trigger Happy TV bleeds its awfulness into them.

I'd never seen Trigger Happy TV before, incredibly, so I went on the youtubes to look at an episode.  I'm surprised that anyone would describe it as awful - it was nothing special, but I kind of enjoyed its 'vibe'.  Maybe nostalgia for the music, or something, but it seemed quite artistic in its own way, a kind of 'gentle' comedy for those without particularly high expectations, to damn it with faint praise. 

But things have definitely got much worse since then.

touchingcloth

I went off Trigger Happy after that episode where a pack of giant cartoonish animals went on a rape spree.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 06, 2019, 09:03:57 PM
Babe Ruth's careers highlights were in the 1920s and earlier, so the fact that Americans still talk about him is like an English footyball fan going on about the footyball players who the 1966 footyball winners used to go on about.

Ahh, but therein lies the beauty of baseball. All players from the 1890s to now have the same stats recorded in (largely) the same level of detail, so you can say objectively that Babe Ruth was better than any other outfielder in history. There's no waxing lyrical over the flow of "that" England side, and inter generational arguments about whether Kane or Best was the superior player.

The Bambino holds the record for career OPS (a staggering 1.164) and career SLG (an equally ridiculous .690). Players today rarely do that for a single career year, you might get one who manages it once every 4 or 5 years from memory - Ruth maintained it across 22 seasons, and these are cumulative stats so that's incredible. He did lots of other "non-stats" stuff (first dinger at Yankees stadium is the one I can think of) which people like.

30 teams with 25-40 men on the roster (depending how you calculate it) for 130+ years and this guy was (and still is) the best. That's astonishing. See also - Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Cy Young, Hank Aaron, Roger Maris etc etc etc. These guys were just objectively better than everyone else. That's why people bang on about them (as I have above). It really is fascinating.