Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:04:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

0bvious things you’ve only just realised (2019 edition)

Started by Replies From View, December 31, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 11, 2019, 04:32:09 PM
I'm conflicted about Monzo. On the one hand big banks are pricks. On the other, they're basically just freeloading on the banking infrastructure built by the big banks. A recent example is them fucking up and putting pins in log files and forcing people to reset them at atms, none of which are theirs. In fairness they acted responsibly with the actual breach and disclosure, which is more than a lot of banks would've done.

I assume they pay Link or whoever for access to the cash machine network.

Twit 2

Quote from: Cuellar on August 14, 2019, 10:02:51 AM
I don't know if you're joking but that post is riddled with inaccuracies.

According to Roger Waters there's a good leisure centre in Mesopotamia.

Zetetic

It was only this year that I understood why the West Bank is called the 'West Bank'.

(It's on the west bank of the river Jordan.)

Pseudopath

Quote from: Zetetic on August 14, 2019, 11:20:31 AM
It was only this year that I understood why the West Bank is called the 'West Bank'.

(It's on the west bank of the river Jordan.)

As opposed to the east bank which is called the NotWest Bank.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on August 14, 2019, 10:34:36 AM
I assume they pay Link or whoever for access to the cash machine network.

That's still freeloading compared to having bricks and mortar branches and infrastructure imo.

beanheadmcginty

There must be somebody who has had their best wank on the West Bank.

touchingcloth

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 14, 2019, 01:40:36 PM
There must be somebody who has had their best wank on the West Bank.

Netanyahu while pummelling an Arab (which incidentally is also the euphemism he uses for a wank).

magval

N-Trance may have been thus styled so that people didn't think they were named after how you get into a building.

Sebastian Cobb

What the 'rinse hold' function does on a washing machine, and if you use it when you put washing on that will finish when you're not going to take it out you don't have to run your fusty washing through another rinse cycle when you attend to it.

Cuellar

Obvious? Don't know, but I've just learnt that Joe Rogan and the guy who does the weigh ins and pisses about at all the UFC/MMA things are different people.

touchingcloth

Neither the person nor the things are obvious to me in that one.

Replies From View

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 17, 2019, 02:02:57 PMThen I explained that the front piece [of a car] is the bonnet which is a word for a hat or headgear and thus it made sense that the other end was the boot.

Sebastian Cobb

The 'photo' in photography is about photons and that innit? Worked it out when thinking about photo luminescence (my watch glows in the dark). Takes 32 years to develop reasoning skills like that apparently.

Paul Calf

It's from the Greek 'phos', meaning 'light' originally, but 'photon' does share the same root. As do 'phosphor', 'phosphorus', 'phosphorescent', etc...

pigamus

Milton Keynes is not named after the poet and the economist.

Norton Canes

Channel 4 is showing episodes of The Simpsons from 1994

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 19, 2019, 06:56:24 PMChannel 4 is showing episodes of The Simpsons from 1994

After doing some research for a spectacularly pointless post in Comedy Chat, I only just now realised that, three special episodes aside, I've not seen any South Park since 2001!  (Not an Obvious Thing, just a response to your post.)

Come to think of it, I probably haven't seen much Simpsons since around that time either.

Gulftastic

touchingcloth

Youtu.be only exists so that people can hoot their trap off for marginally longer with twitter's retarded character limits.

poodlefaker

Quote from: pigamus on August 18, 2019, 06:24:33 PM
Milton Keynes is not named after the poet and the economist.

I have read or been told more than once that it's named after Milton Friedman and John Maynard Keynes. I suppose someone once said it as a joke and the myth has stuck.

Replies From View

Quote from: poodlefaker on August 22, 2019, 09:18:55 AM
I have read or been told more than once that it's named after Milton Friedman and John Maynard Keynes. I suppose someone once said it as a joke and the myth has stuck.

The truth is that it was named after Morgan Freeman (for the Milton bit) and a fellow called Milton Keynes (for the Keynes bit).

idunnosomename

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 20, 2019, 10:57:59 PM
Youtu.be only exists so that people can hoot their trap off for marginally longer with twitter's retarded character limits.
all URLs on twitter take up the same amount of characters

idunnosomename

justin trudeau's father was also canadian prime minister

QDRPHNC

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 22, 2019, 12:51:56 PM
justin trudeau's father was also canadian prime minister

With probably the most famous soundbite in Canadian political history.

It's a bit sad, watching that, to realise how rare a calm, articulate disagreement discussed for 5 or more minutes has become in our media.

touchingcloth

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 22, 2019, 11:36:12 AM
all URLs on twitter take up the same amount of characters

How so? As in they store them in a different way and they just get counted as a single character? Could people write essays by putting were at the start of their posts and peppering the thing with %20?

Zetetic

They're all put through Twitter's own "t.co" URL "shortener", presumably for "analytics"/tracking.

The web interface, at least, accepts up to about 3,500 characters in a URL. But it will only display the first 50 or so (although I wonder if there's some curiousness with the domain versus the path that's worth investigating).

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Zetetic on August 22, 2019, 08:38:02 PM
They're all put through Twitter's own "t.co" URL "shortener" ...

I swear to god, I thought that was going to end differently.

touchingcloth

I just tried to mentally compile a list of Paul Simon's Fifty Ways. There aren't even close to that many.