Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:44:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Horrifying Rejected McCartney LP Cover

Started by Ron Maels Moustache, March 28, 2024, 11:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
https://www.stereogum.com/2257275/vinyl-artwork-rejected-by-paul-mccartney-for-being-too-unflattering-is-being-auctioned-for-charity/news/

QuoteFor over a decade, the Secret 7″ project has raised money for charity by auctioning off limited-edition vinyl records featuring new, exclusive artwork from artists all over the world, paired up with songs by some iconic musicians. The project was relaunched by War Child in 2023 after a couple years away, and Paul McCartney is a participant, offering up limited-edition copies of "Pipes Of Peace." Each of the seven songs selected by the project every year receives 100 different pieces of artwork, but one piece of artwork was apparently too much for the McCartney camp.
Wilfrid Wood, a London sculptor and illustrator who seems to be quite successful in his field, created an original piece and submitted it to the project, but per an Instagram post, his contribution this year "was BANNED by Macca and the gang because it was TOO UNFLATTERING." But Wood is auctioning off his sculpture anyway, and all the proceeds will go to War Child UK.

I suspect Sir Macca turned it down on the grounds that it's sheer bloody nightmare fuel. I mean, sweet Jesus, imagine having this thing staring at you from among your boutique vinyls.

Spoiler alert
[close]

It gives me "final scene from Society" vibes. I just imagine that no matter how many times you try and dispose of it down the chazza or chuck it in the bin it would just mysteriously turn up back on the shelf again, leering away like nothing had happened.

dontpaintyourteeth

GoblinAhFuckScary

Icehaven

BJBMK2

Quuuuuaid...start the reeeeeaaaactoor....

dr beat

On my phone so struggling to post photos but brings to mind that rendition of Kevin Keegan on Blue Peter.

JesusAndYourBush

It looks like Macca's Bake-Off 'make a cake of the person you admire most' Showstopper.  Pru loved the caramel rum-infused nose and he got a Hollywood Hand Shandy for the chocolate ganache hair.

BJBMK2

Ferris

idunnosomename

Amazed this only fetched £1,355 for a very good cause.

Glebe

checkoutgirl

Presumably whoever gave that artist the money did it with express instructions to burn this abomination post haste. Don't throw it away. Burn it. If you throw it away somebody might find it again.

It's a clever way to get publicity for the artist but a double edged sword because the piece is so hideous it's hardly a good advertisement.

I like it, he's got the eyebrows and the jowls just right.

jobotic

I quite like it too but if someone did a portrait of me and it looked anything like that I'd run upstairs and throw myself onto my bed, sobbing my little heart out.

Video Game Fan 2000

Pete23

Butchers Blind

I don't know what Sir Paul was getting upset about. He's 80, everyone looks fucked at that age.

Video Game Fan 2000

bowsers going to be hopping mad when he comes home and sees the heating was left on in the castle and the thwomps all melted

Video Game Fan 2000

now we know how many thwomps it takes to fill the albert hall

madhair60

it is funny but it would be much funnier if we edited in Hans and the medium fry up guy and the hole pointing folks and all that stupid fucking shit and just kept posting it ad nauseum for years and years

lazyhour

To be fair it's pretty funny without that.

BJBMK2

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: madhair60 on March 28, 2024, 05:55:42 PMit is funny but it would be much funnier if we edited in Hans and the medium fry up guy and the hole pointing folks and all that stupid fucking shit and just kept posting it ad nauseum for years and years

this cunt staring into the void while brandishing a knife and fork to camera yet

Video Game Fan 2000

look at him working
darning his socks in the night when there's nobody there
this cunt dead, yeah?