Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:47:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dead Redemption - Wild West GTA [split topic]

Started by Custard, March 03, 2010, 02:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MALCOLM

Been out all day turning pink in this hideous weather, but mine should be winging it's way to me in the back of an Amazon van courtesy of their within the M25 same day, evening delivery service.

Hurry up, man in a van.

chand

I got my copy from Tesco, but only after going to Asda, Sainsbury's, Currys and PC World. This was in Burnley though, which is a shithole. Asda didn't seem like they'd had any copies in at all.

Viero_Berlotti

Just got chance to play it for five minutes, rode a horse and shot some chickens. Got the hots for one of the female characters, the blonde one with the freckles. Will play more tomorrow, so far so good though.

Clocked about four hours so far: the storyline is engrossing - gameplay ostensibly GTA IV with RPG elements and stunning environs.  PC gamers will bolt a bold and underline onto that.

Probably a bit early to say but I'm still waiting for the "leap forward" I've heard so much about.

jimmy jazz

Can I have sex with men in this game? All I want to do is have sex with men in computer games, this isn't going to break my heart like Kaiden in Mass Effect is it?

chand

Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 22, 2010, 08:37:41 AM
Can I have sex with men in this game? All I want to do is have sex with men in computer games, this isn't going to break my heart like Kaiden in Mass Effect is it?

You could kiss other boys in Bully.

Jemble Fred

Come to think of it, I've yet to hear of the option of having sex with anyone in this game, Marston's got a family waiting for him.

falafel

Quote from: jimmy jazz on May 22, 2010, 08:37:41 AM

Oi. Watch it, pal.

Slaaaaabs

What a marvellous game this is. You can tell everything has been lovingly crafted down to the smallest detail and that really helps with the immersion, as does Euphoria when you're shooting dudes in the leg to make them fall off things. Aiming definitely needs to be on Expert (ie. no auto-lock) for it to feel rewarding though.

Oh and a tip for anyone on a PS3 with a Samsung HDTV, turn your Sharpness down to about 5 and make sure "Game Mode" is switched on. It definitely improves the image quality.

jimmy jazz

HEY EVERYONE, GUESS WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING ALL MORNING.

Here is my tip for easy money with the five finger fillet minigame:

Spoiler alert
Beat the small fry in the usual manner, betting maximum each time. it doesn't take long before you play the last game where there's a maximum bet of $100. This is where it gets slightly frustrating, but I've found a method which means you always win without concentrating.

http://imgur.com/t3i2a.png <---- just follow that pattern (AB / AY / AX / AB / AY) and repeat it ad infinitum until your turn stops. This means you can phase out and makes loadsamoney. But I bet you all just found it piss easy anyway.

I'd also like to point out that I'm alone painting blotches and whispering "one, two, three, one, two" to myself on the nicest day of the year so far. Thank god for the common cold to save my embarrassment, eh?
[close]

mobias

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on May 22, 2010, 01:28:46 PM

Oh and a tip for anyone on a PS3 with a Samsung HDTV, turn your Sharpness down to about 5 and make sure "Game Mode" is switched on. It definitely improves the image quality.

Cheers for that. I'e got a big Samsung TV, I'll give it a go. I'll add you to my PSN when I get the game beginning of next week and see if we can get a few more PS3 users together for a game or two

Slaaaaabs

Done some multiplay today and got teamed up with some French chaps in Free Roam, they didn't understand me when I said it was a Baguettey Western.

Lt Plonker

My favourite part so far was being attacked by a cougar. Ripped me to pieces, it did. :D

chand

I keep failing side-missions inadvertently; failed one because I apparently wandered out of range, sort-of passed one where I was supposed to save a woman except she got shot. Just now I was asked to go to a house and persuade someone to sell it; when I got there I was stood at the bottom of a hill, figured I'd have a look with my rifle sight to see what was up there. It locked to a guy stood outside and told me instantly I'd failed.

Ted-Maul

The side missions are a bit of a pain as they just appear as a blip on the map that you've already rode away from - and then a message saying the sheriff has been killed 'cos you never helped him. i mean honestly, you cant be expected to help EVERY poor soul in the West can you?

My best bits so far have been 1: getting shot for hogtieing an old lady in the middle of the street and 2: watching my little sister having a go at lassooing cows in a field and accidentally lassooing a massive fuck-off bull by mistake - with hillarious consequences!

Really enjoying it so far, although after playing for hours, ive still only visited about 3 or 4 places, theyre just so far apart.

chand

Quote from: chand on May 22, 2010, 10:57:16 PMJust now I was asked to go to a house and persuade someone to sell it; when I got there I was stood at the bottom of a hill, figured I'd have a look with my rifle sight to see what was up there. It locked to a guy stood outside and told me instantly I'd failed.

Heh, this mission came back and I completed it, despite the fact that previously I'd been so pissed off at failing the mission I killed the guy.

I keep goofing around with side missions and stuff though, spent about 10 minutes before just hunting too, which was surprisingly fun and a good source of money.

Space ghost

Quote from: chand on May 22, 2010, 10:57:16 PM
I keep failing side-missions inadvertently; failed one because I apparently wandered out of range, sort-of passed one where I was supposed to save a woman except she got shot. Just now I was asked to go to a house and persuade someone to sell it; when I got there I was stood at the bottom of a hill, figured I'd have a look with my rifle sight to see what was up there. It locked to a guy stood outside and told me instantly I'd failed.

if you set the aiming mode to expert it stops all that stupid lock on targetting business.

MALCOLM

I won a fortune and then lost it all in a game of poker in the back of a saloon in Thieves Landing, so shot all those motherfuckers up big style, strolled out of the now deserted saloon across to the train station and had barely enough left to pay my bounty to keep the rozza's off my back. It then became my mission to buy that suit that lets you cheat at poker, which I did, and promptly ended up getting shot in a duel after giving it a try back in the town you start in and upsetting someone.

Fuck going back to help "Bonnie" with her patrols around the ranch and horsey-related foreplay, that I get the impression won't go anywhere. I WANNA BE BADASSS

chumfatty

I loving this already, only done a few missions for Bonnie and the Marshall. When do you get the bandit mask so you can do bad stuff anonymously?

Space ghost

The bandit mask is available to buy in one of the shops in Armadillo. I'd also recommend doing the first few Bonnie missions at leat untill you obtain the lassoo because you can have quite a bit of fun with that. Try lassooing a large bull and see what happens or just drag an unfortunate npc along behind your horse, It's versatile! I haven't lassooed any vultures yet by I'm gonna keep trying.

MALCOLM

The reactions of NPC's when being shot is truly awesome, a mixture of stunning realism and Disney style Western histrionics, especially as they don't usually die unless you get a great shot in. They writhe and crawl for their lives begging for mercy.

This is the most immersive, realistically bustling game I've ever played, even without the business of Liberty City.

Why can't I fuck one of these knickerbocker clad hussies though that are all mouth but just walk away when I hang around?

Sure, it's incredibly realistic for me in that sense, but I demand satisfaction! Or is this another appeasement of the American's, which allows you to tie up nuns and dump them on railroad tracks, but not have filthy, degrading sexsh ?

Space ghost

The backstory prevents him from shaggin' the whores, he's on a mission to release his kidnapped family. sort of like Clint in unforgiven wont have sex with prossies out of respect for his brown bread wife.

anyway, it's the hottest day of the year so far outside, so draw the curtains to stop the light shining on the screen and crack on.

Custard

Gonna be getting this on the way home tomorrow. Coming home to get stuck into this and watch the Lost finale = one fruity-fruity day.

chand

Just played this for 2 hours without doing any story missions; been hunting and doing wanted posters and stuff. I bought a paper that said there was a place called Tumblewood that might be haunted so I headed out there, didn't find any ghosts but ended up doing a pretty cool mission.

Lt Plonker

mobias

Why do amazing games like this always seem to come out just when I've suddenly go a lot of stuff to do in the real world (new girlfriend to 'entertain' website to build for someone, lovely weather to enjoy) That's what I always appreciated about Rockstar's decision last gen to always release GTA's in October, you knew you had the long dark nights of winter ahead of you to sit in and enjoy it. And it always pisses me off that girls hate games by and large and have absolutely no appreciation for them.

Anyway back on topic... 

mycroft

Bonnie reminds me a bit of an American girl I used to go out with - she's nice, and I like hanging out with her, but by crikey she's boring. Her dad had lots of guns, too.

Still, there's hours of fun to be had with the lassoo. Dragged some poor sod through a field of cacti earlier. Not quite got the hang of cheating at cards, though: seems about half the people I sit down to play with end up having to be blown away in duels.

Penfold

Just played my first game of horseshoes, it was tough but eventually got the hang of it, it was a well earned dollar.

Got this on xbox and my gamertag is gorillabingo

I have a dodgy wi-fi signal in my room so not sure how well it'll work.