Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

July 18, 2024, 09:34:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doon Mackichan - My Lady Parts.

Started by Glebe, October 06, 2023, 12:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Heard nothing about this and  was surprised when I spotted it in a bookshop the other day, but Doon Mackichan has a new autobio out called My Lady Parts!

Interview with the I:

Doon Mackichan: 'I've often been asked to "pop my top off" in auditions'.

This is going on the treat-meself list alongside Ade's book when I've a few quid spare!

neveragain

I've always loved Doon since her first work with Chris Morris and early Partridge, one of the best character comedy performers out there. (Along with Rebecca Front.)

So, will be getting this.

Twilkes

Which one is Doon Mackichan, is she Doon Mackichan or Fiona Allen?

MoreauVasz

The Doom Mackichan that came to Sarnath by HP Lovecraft

"Where once had risen walls of 300 cubits and towers yet higher, now stretched only the marshy shore, and where once had dwelt fifty millions of men now crawled only the detestable green water-lizard. Not even the mines of precious metal remained, for DOOM Mackichan had come to Sarnath."

Glebe

Sorry to link to the M*il, but in any case their write-up highlights forum 'favourite' Gervais being a prick:

The day Ricky Gervais tried to take over my TV show: Doon Mackichan isn't one for false compliments as she opens up about other performers in her memoir.

QuoteWhen developing the second series of the hit sketch show Smack The Pony with her co-stars Fiona Allen and Sally Philips, Gervais shows up uninvited at the rehearsal room and starts trying to take over.

'I'm a friend first and a boss second. Probably an entertainer third.'

Hugl

I might get this, always loved her work, Two Doors Down isn't always my favourite show but her performance was always great.

Pink Gregory

Smack the Pony deserves to be more fondly remembered, maybe there is a slight early-2000s-ness to it that's a bit offputting but it's easily as good as a Big Train or similar.

jobotic

Quote from: Hugl on October 06, 2023, 06:43:56 PMI might get this, always loved her work, Two Doors Down isn't always my favourite show but her performance was always great.

Agreed. I can't think of anything I've seen her in when she wasn't brilliant.

Collaterlie Sisters is perfect

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 06, 2023, 06:49:02 PMSmack the Pony deserves to be more fondly remembered, maybe there is a slight early-2000s-ness to it that's a bit offputting but it's easily as good as a Big Train or similar.
Indeed. I already remembered it fairly fondly, but I watched a bunch of it recently and it was even better than I remembered.

poodlefaker

everyone knows her real name's Dawn McCann, right?

Cover's a bit crass but I'll definitely get the book as I've always liked her - she comes across as a bit of an individualist who doesn't take herself too seriously.

I also admire her for de-encouragizing women from succumbing to Natus.

Still funnier than 'Dawn French is a Huge Twat' though.

Pink Gregory

This is a stupid question that could easily be googled but it Mackichan or Front that's Barbara Wintergreen in On the Hour?

That's a favourite.

Pink Gregory

Shamefully, I can't think of many of her recurring roles outside of On the Hour/Day Today/Brass Eye, Smack the Pony and Toast of London (which I don't love).

Anything I should check out?

The Late Satoru Iwata

My Doon fandom goes back to the pairing of 'Rabbitt & Doon' (with Anne Rabbitt), who took over Wake Up London from 'The Vicious Boys':

Blue Jam

She's in Good Omens 2! Was a nice surprise.

Pink Gregory

Doon Mackichan plays an insecure, repressed choir leader who learns to love herself again with the help of a misfit group of singers from the community

That's Doon Mackichan in Doon Chorus, Ch4, Thursday, 8pm

LordMorgan

Doon is brilliant
Maybe my favourite performance from her , is Simon Fisher, boy genius on KMKY radio

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 06, 2023, 06:49:02 PMSmack the Pony deserves to be more fondly remembered, maybe there is a slight early-2000s-ness to it that's a bit off-putting but it's easily as good as a Big Train or similar.

My first writing gig! For it's worth, what I was told about the Gervais audition for Smack was that he turned up, did a whole routine as the character now universally beloved as 'Derek' to stunned silence and was told, er, great, thanks very much, we'll let you know.

Twilkes

Doon Mackichan presents a gardening programme focused on growing rarely-seen Scottish perennials exclusively from cuttings.

That's Doon Mackichan in Sprigadoon, Ch4, Thursday, 8.30pm.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 07, 2023, 05:46:41 AMThis is a stupid question that could easily be googled but it Mackichan or Front that's Barbara Wintergreen in On the Hour?

Hi there pink Gregory

Yes, it is isn't it,  and yes, you certainly could.

Regards

PlanktonSideburns

Oosp

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 07, 2023, 05:46:41 AMThis is a stupid question that could easily be googled but it Mackichan or Front that's Barbara Wintergreen in On the Hour?

That's a favourite.

It's emphatically Rebecca Front.

Oosp

THE RITUAL... OF THE BULLYING RITUAL

PlanktonSideburns

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on October 06, 2023, 07:51:09 PMJust want to announce I think she's an attractive lady but doesn't do it for me cheers.
Quote from: bgmnts on October 06, 2023, 11:10:53 PMIt is strange the compulsion to tell people who you fancy, unsure why people do it.

holyzombiejesus

Wasn't she in that Glam Metal Detectives series? Only watched one as it seemed really unfunny.

Pink Gregory

Doon Mackichan spends a full tour on a working military submarine and documents her experiences

That's Doon Periscope, ITV, Tuesday 6pm

Pink Gregory

feels obvious to post the video dating sketches from StP but in terms of quickfire character comedy with almost no setup they're really quite proficient.

"I'm Margaret, I'm 46 and I've never come."

Tags: